Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Do you have any weird habits associated with emet?

I don't have very many, mostly because I try so hard to hide the phobia.

However, I like to have plastic bags (like ziplocs) with me whenever I'm going to be in a car or at school, because if it does happen I can do it in a bag and there is less mess and embarrassment.

Do you all have any quirks like these?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Do you have any weird habits associated with emet?

When my anxiety was high, I already carried mints with me. I always had a mint in my mouth. I know I had a lot more than that, but that's my main one. And, I was always sucking down the none-drowsy, none-medicated Ginger Gravol Lozenges. Always. I was so paranoid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Oh wow, where do I begin? lol

I too carry plastic bags with me everywhere I go "just in case." I always keep a mint in my mouth even if I think I'm feeling sick. I carry kleenex with me to use to open doors. I wear plastic gloves to take out the garbage. I wipe the outside of my groceries (cans, packages) with antibacterial wipes. I wash all my fruits and vegetables with soap and water, except leafy green veggies and grapes - I wash those with a water and vinegar solution. Umm.... what else? I never eat out, I cook all my food at home. During flu season, I won't even go grab a coffee or tea from a coffee shop for fear that the hand that touches my coffee lid, which then touches my mouth, has touched the money of a previous customer who has some funky stomach virus.

I'm sure there's more I do, but you get the picture.... I'm a complete freak with this phobia!

I rub my hands together so much that my knuckles are red raw - i do it because i know if im touching my own hands im not touching anything else

These days, I'm washing my hands a gazillion times a day, not to mention the overuse of hand sanitizer...my hands are so chapped they burn

Other than that lately since my hubby's episode, I've slept with my mp3 player on my night stand in case...

I always carry mints and hand sanitiser with me, and when I go to bed I always make sure there's a bin near my bed. I also make sure I always have my ipod on my bedside table just in case I wake up during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Erica1649 View Post
    These days, I'm washing my hands a gazillion times a day, not to mention the overuse of hand sanitizer...my hands are so chapped they burn
    I do the same thing, so often I don't even think of it as a habit! I've gotten a lot better as far as constant washing. I used to wash so much that whenever i closed my hands they would crack and bleed. I got over that because it hurt so bad and was just so unattractive. I use lotion more regularly, but I do wash them quite often. Also, I used to be afraid of the germs in lotion!

Quote Originally Posted by unaware27 View Post
    Also, I used to be afraid of the germs in lotion!
    Ha ha me too! My hand washing habit has gotten a lot better but I always have lotion on me to save them getting chapped (usually in winter). I also find giving my hands a gentle massage with a really nice smelling lotion helps me relax.

My handbag is the giveaway - more packets of tissues & gum than one person would ever need in a day and always a bottle of water.

I have gotten over a need to carry hand sanitisers in my handbag though it's in my car for the rare times when I get my hands legitimately dirty like if my car breaks down!

Quote Originally Posted by cayla View Post
    I also make sure I always have my ipod on my bedside table just in case I wake up during the night.
    That is my habit too! If I wake up during the middle of the night and get anxious, I pop my earphones in and play Moulin Rouge on my ipod. I keep the volume really low. It helps me calm down and I almost always fall back asleep around 20-30 minutes.

i've had so many quirky habits over the years it would take forever to list........i suppose the one that has stayed consistent is that i always have something to drink with me......bottled water, ice tea, crystal lite......not quite sure why......but makes me feel better
    how i feel about emet

Yeah, my hands are starting to crack a little...it sucks lol

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    i've had so many quirky habits over the years it would take forever to list........i suppose the one that has stayed consistent is that i always have something to drink with me......bottled water, ice tea, crystal lite......not quite sure why......but makes me feel better
    Same here, i think if there is anything worse than being sick, it would be being sick then not being able to rinse your mouth out afterwards.

I think i have all the usual weird emet habits that have already been mentioned, one thing i do if i am eating out somewhere like mcdonalds or get a takeaway sandwich and I don't have an anti-noro hand sanitiser with me, is for burgers i will hold the food in its wrapper to eat it, or i will pick the food up, and eat it all leaving the piece behind that i was holding between my fingers and throw that bit away, I do it with chips (fries) and end up leaving a little pile of end-bits lol - i wish they would provide plastic cutlery in takeaways for the chips.

I carry bag with me everywhere too....just in case! I also carry my anti emetics and my hand sanitizer, and use it after I touch ANYTHING!

After reading a lot of these, i realized I do most of these things, I just didn't even know that they were out of the ordinary! Whenever I eat anything out, if i can't wash my hands or sanitize them, I refuse to touch the food, or eat the part that I did touch.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek View Post
    Same here, i think if there is anything worse than being sick, it would be being sick then not being able to rinse your mouth out afterwards.

I think i have all the usual weird emet habits that have already been mentioned, one thing i do if i am eating out somewhere like mcdonalds or get a takeaway sandwich and I don't have an anti-noro hand sanitiser with me, is for burgers i will hold the food in its wrapper to eat it, or i will pick the food up, and eat it all leaving the piece behind that i was holding between my fingers and throw that bit away, I do it with chips (fries) and end up leaving a little pile of end-bits lol - i wish they would provide plastic cutlery in takeaways for the chips.
    I do the same thing when there is no place to wash my hands. Since my hands are so damaged...instead of washing my hands I use a disposable fork to grab chips. I only do that when I'm alone or when I'm with my br. He knows all my weird habits.

I keep different "stomach aiding" teas with me, along with a mini gingerale, pepto, and 2 different kinds of homeopathic anxiety meds at all times.

wherever i go i always need to find the quickest route to the bathroom in case i have to v*, and i refuse to go to sleep unless i have a glass of water next to my bed. i've done this since fourth grade, even when i'm not at home. i'm worried i suddenly won't be able to swallow and it'll make me v*... idk, it just makes me safer with the water there xD

I ALWAYS have something to drink with me. No matter where i go. And if it is somewhere that doesn't allow beverages i put a bottle of water or something in my purse so I know it's there.

Whenever I'm in a new room/place/spot in a room (like a seat in a classroom) I plan out where I would run if something happened. I wash my hands constantly. I've been starting to use minty things very often.

i have many ott habbits like: constant use of hand gel and rubbing over my mouth with alcahol gel if i think i'm near germs or anyone who has had a bug, i wont see people/family if i know they have had sickness or anything like a tummy bug, i dont touch or eat any form of meat, fish or egg etc.
    if i feel bloated after food i instantly have a panick attack and have to take lorazapam and anti emetics, i suffer panick attacks all the time and have anxiety dissorder,i am so absolutely desperate for another child but am to afraid of pregnency as i got sick with my son and since having him i had 2 pregnancies which i had to terminate and ended up on a sychiatric ward for weeks on end where the fear sent me in sane, along with sychosis. it rules my life and i lost 2 babys because of this hell ful phobia andi dont think anyone will ever help me now x