Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Immediate help?

Default Immediate help?

Hi. I'm on Promethazine for constant nausea, but it seems it only works if I take two pills, 25mg in all. However, my GI Doc only wants me to take 12.5mg 3 times a day. I'm taking too much. But the thing is, I'm caught in a cyclone of iniquity. Promethazine gets me constipated, constipation gets my brain confused between feeling bloated an nausea. Nausea gets me anxious resulting in more nausea. I don't drink when I'm nausea which is 80% of the day.

I am literally dying from malnutrition very very very slowly. As long as I have working antiemetics, I will be okay, however, the day these things don't work, my life is forfeit to V*. I will then either cessate all eating and drinking functions and stare at a wall. Funny but true. All my Psychiatrist does is give me the option of either benzodiazapams(sp) or antidepressants like celexa. However, if he really understood my phobia, he would know those have high nausea reports and I refuse to look at them, also, I ideate about suicid so I can't take them and I refuse to tell him.

What should I do to get myself out of this cycle of death?

Default Re: Immediate help?

V*ing is definitely NOT worth suicide. What you need to do is tell someone in real life, like your doctor and a family member/good friend how you really feel and accept the help they will give you. Whatever that involves. This is nothing to play around with. And although i fear and hate vomiting...i certainly wouldnt let it make me consider suicide.

You can't live on antiemetics. As hard as it is, you have to force yourself to eat and drink. Start slowly and as you prove to yourself that despite the chronic nausea, you won't vomit, you can increasse the amount you eat and drink until you're eating a healthy amount.

While starving yourself makes sense to our emetophobic brain (I've done it), it really just makes the nausea worse because the acid in your stomach has nothing to digest so it just churns around in there making you feel even more sick. Plus, if you don't eat, your body becomes malnourished and that makes you weak, which makes you more susceptible to all kinds of illnesses. So it's very important to fuel your body properly.

And not drinking makes you dehydrated and dehydration causes nausea and sometimes vomiting. So you want to avoid that.

Believe me, I KNOW how wrong it feels to put anything in your stomach when you're so emetophobic, because there was a time when I completely stopped eating and went down to a dangerously low weight. IAt that time I practically lived on antiemetics too. t didn't take my emetophobia away, it just made me sick. Really sick. Not just emetophobia sick. Once I forced myself to start eating again, slowly, I slowly started feeling physically better.

Please please, get yourself off the antiemetics and start fueling your body as best you can so that you can be as healthy as possible.... that, and only that, will give you a real fighting chance against all sickness.

Has your GI doc figured out why you have constant nausea? Paisley is right. Living on anti-emetics and very little to no food is no way to live. I too have done similar things. And I understand about rather dying than be sick. But along with trying to eat and drink a little more over time, your doctors should figure out what your stomach issue is and address it.

Hmm, I know I shouldn't live on Antiemetics but I think I will have to, well at least untill I know what is wrong with my stomach. Even then, I need antiemetics toll late spring. October to April I feel I will need Antiemetics. And that's another problem, I am spiraling into deeper physical harm from the side effects of everything I do xD

I am getting a GI on the tenth, if I don't cancel, so I should be able to notice what is wrong then. I know allot of Emets think some things are terminal, but if I did have a major disease, then I will be forced to do "it."

i went through the same feeling several years ago.....had every test imaginable trying to find out what was causing the constant n......even had my gallbladder removed trying to stop it.......but guess what???? there was nothing wrong with my stomach......it was all in my head.....it's the emetophobia.

i don't know how you can function taking that much phenergan........i take 1/2 at a time and i sleep in a coma for hours........and the constipation is horrible. you have got to get yourself off of this medication...

you really need to try the antidepressants.........despite the listed side effects........all drugs list n and v as possible side effects......pretty sure phenergan does too. i've been on prozac for many years now and it totally helps with the constant obsessing about v...........i do have rough times....especially during sv season....like now.....but it's not in my brain 24/7 like it used to be. i work everyday, have a husband, have a life........

please talk more with your dr and try one of the antidepressants.........they take a while to start working so give them a chance. alot of members take them......different ones and i'm sure they can tell you any problems they've had with them. i had none with prozac.........

suicide is definitely not the answer..........you can totally get your life back.......but it takes work and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone......

we're here if you need us.....
    hugzzzz
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I really really would like to get off the promethazine and try the medicine, but I just can't. Something literally makes me hesitate. I'm so sick of my constant nausea, so if anything states nausea, I refuse to take it. I'm hurting myself technically by not accepting help but... After the tenth (My upper GI), if nothing is wrong, then I do not understand what I can possibly do anymore.

Everybody is so nice, it is kinda shocking my emotions. I always thought of people as generally rude.*shakes my head and snaps out of it*

Anyways, I thank you guys.