Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Question for us Emets

Does anyone else feel as if you'd almost rather die than catch an sv?

Default Re: Question for us Emets

Sometimes but then I remind myself I would much rather get a sv* than have cancer, another deadly disease, have a family member pass, have a pet pass, have a terminally ill family member, ect. (knock on wood for all of that!) Sometimes thinking about things like that can put your fear more in perspective. There are much worse things out there than a sv* and I would rather have that happen then a lot of other things, including death.

Actually yes. I much rather commit suicide or die than contract a SV. Hell, the only real reason I haven't is I don't want to get nauseous trying Suicide XD

^^I would encourage you to seek help. No way at all to live like that. There are MUCH worse things than contracting a virus.

Oh gawd I need to stop typing about that, it's embarrassing. Anyways uhm, yea haha. Honestly though, my minds clouded so sorry for speaking like that ToT

You shouldn't be embarrassed. I used to have that way of thinking as well. When I was severely mentally unstable (I'm not saying you are--just to clarify) I would used to want to be attacked by a shark than go to the dentist...LOL the dentist!! I was a little kid but still. A few years ago, I was hospitalized 2x my senior year of high school because I was suicidal--but not because of emetophobia. Anyways, all the bizarreness aside, my point is that you should encourage yourself to be strong and get through it! You have the upper hand, so don't let your fear win!! If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to pm me. I know it sounds cliche but remember: Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There are so many things in life you can bounce back from but suicide will never be one of them. You only have one life so take care of yourself. I hope I didn't sound condescending or patronizing in my first response.

I completely agree with DeadxxInside92. I really think you should see at least a counsellor or something if you're not already. By thinking like that, you're letting your fear win, and really, when you think about it getting a stomach virus is not something to end your life over. I used to think the same way, that I'd rather die than have someone sick near me, by the way, so I know where you're coming from...
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Intellectually I know that there are much worse things that could happen and when I'm not nauseated I don't think about it but when I'm feeling really sick, I tell myself that if I vomit and I can't handle it, I'll just kill myself and that will end it. I don't believe I'd actually ever do it but telling myself that gives me an out???

So yes, I would rather die than vomit for any reason... not just a stomach virus.

I kind of get what you're saying Paisley but still, it's not at all a healthy way of thinking even if you claim that you would 'never actually do it'. It's just not a pleasant experience to have those thoughts going through your (in general) head. That's why you have to work on dealing with nausea in a healthy way. If you get sick, it's NOT the end of the world and most people recuperate within a day or two and if it's something other than a virus, you would recuperate over time as well. It's just not something to want to die over. And more than half of suicides are not successful, therefore, you'd have no choice but to be institutionalized for God knows how long and think of how you'd feel then.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    I kind of get what you're saying Paisley but still, it's not at all a healthy way of thinking even if you claim that you would 'never actually do it'. It's just not a pleasant experience to have those thoughts going through your (in general) head. That's why you have to work on dealing with nausea in a healthy way. If you get sick, it's NOT the end of the world and most people recuperate within a day or two and if it's something other than a virus, you would recuperate over time as well. It's just not something to want to die over. And more than half of suicides are not successful, therefore, you'd have no choice but to be institutionalized for God knows how long and think of how you'd feel then.
    You're right. But what I think isn't a choice, no more than having emetophobia is a choice. Can't snap out of thoughts of suicide any more than I can snap out of being afraid of vomiting. However, I only have thoughts of suicide... which is very different from actually being suicidal. I have talked with my therapist about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
    You're right. But what I think isn't a choice, no more than having emetophobia is a choice. Can't snap out of thoughts of suicide any more than I can snap out of being afraid of vomiting. However, I only have thoughts of suicide... which is very different from actually being suicidal. I have talked with my therapist about this.
    I understand what you're saying and I agree that it's not really a choice, however, you can change your way of thinking. I am glad you have talked to your therapist about it. It's good to have s/he know what's going on.

In this past week I've witnessed my boyfriend lose an uncle unexpectedly to a massive heart attack, and now his grandfather is severely losing his battle with cancer as it's gone to his brain. Me and him already went to say our goodbyes as it's only days now until he passes...

With that being said, I'd rather throw up than die.

Quote Originally Posted by Laonfait View Post
    Actually yes. I much rather commit suicide or die than contract a SV. Hell, the only real reason I haven't is I don't want to get nauseous trying Suicide XD

i know its bad but i'm the same way.
    this is graphic:
    i would NEVER do these things, but when i think of the ways to commit suicide, guns/knives could make you v* blood, ODing on pills could make you v*, i could go on and on. it just scares me. i'd never kill myself, but i'm sorry to say i think about it all the time. i have talked to my therapist about it, but i know i'd never actually harm myself...

Yeah I know, Its just id rather anything happen to me than throw up .

THE ONLY way I will ever accept having to vomit, is when I am someday carrying a beautiful baby inside me.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyemetophobic View Post
    Yeah I know, Its just id rather anything happen to me than throw up .

THE ONLY way I will ever accept having to vomit, is when I am someday carrying a beautiful baby inside me.
    That's the best reason in the world! And its not even guaranteed to happen anyway. I was barely n when I was pregnant. I lost my appetite but I wasn't n. I didn't v in labor like many women do and I had a c section and I didn't v then either which is also common. The anesthesiologist was even surprised So yeah. It's possible.

I think that I could handle a sv, as long as I didn`t v, & I didn`t get d in public, because it`s a nightmare being caught short when there`s no bathrooms nearby.

I feel suicidal when Ever I feel sick....a. few years ago, I tried committing suicide because I was site I was going to vomit...and this anxiety daily doesn't make the thoughts any better...(yes I see a Therapist for this)
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."