Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down Facenoook turning into a trigger

Is it just me, or is EVERYONE updating their Facebook status to having the sv and in terrifying detail!?
    Like "been p***** since 7:40 last night now at ER" I mean REALLY!?!??!
    Stay off Facebook, why does everyone need to share that!?
    I read one or like five of these things and it throws me off for like HOURS.
    I hate it.
    Does this happen to anyone else? I want to update my status to something like "STOP F$@&!** posting about throwing up, I'm boycotting Facebook"

Default Re: Facenoook turning into a trigger

You know it throws me off too.....but when we have it like we do right now...I almost need sympathies from everyone...It's really kind of a double edged sword. And if you ready my facebook right now it's consumed with thoughts of this stupid bug. Sigh....

There used to be a girl on my Facebook who would document EVERY detail of some stomach problem she was having, including what her vomit looked like. I mean, I get people wanting to share, and get sympathy, and I'm all for non meets having the right to talk about their vomiting, but even non emets would freak out a little over someone telling them what their vomit looked like. *shudder*

Don't post about boycotting it, if you're bothered, just don't go on it. Honestly, just stay away
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't understand the need for people to publicly discuss the most intimate details of their lives in such a public forum as FB. FB is not anonymous. People have pictures of themselves on there, their kids, you name it. www means world wide web for goodness sake. Hit the 'send' button and whatever you have on your FB and it is out there for anyone and everyone. Privacy walls mean nothing.

As a PI, I teach people - private and corporate - the evils of FB. Yeah, there are benefits but the negatives are pretty huge. For some reason people think that because they are venting, admitting, or whatever in a private setting that all is sacred and intimate. The Internet is NOT private. I always tell people if they would not discuss what they are posting on FB on CNN, then don't hit the send button.

As for the sv, we know it is circulating and it will continue to do so straight through April with peaks along the way. That is how it happens in the western hemisphere every winter. It is as predictable as the sun setting today. What people choose to post of FB is their choice. It is your choice to read it or not. Remember, with or without FB, sv is going around and will do so for he next few months.

Stella
    Last edited by stella9; 01-06-2012 at 12:19 PM.

This is exactly why I don't have a facebook page. I have enough triggers in real life, don't need any more triggers in cyber life.

I know what you mean, yesterday a friend of mine posted that the stomach flu had hit their house and that her young daughter had it, details about cleaning it up, etc.....just makes me worry all the more!!!

I dislike the details as much as everyone and it does trigger me a little big but I use it as a way to know who to stay away from.

I have so many clients who get upset by Facebook posts. We live in such a small world now that there's uber-fast communication in all sorts of forms. People always shared these stories, but over cups of coffee or on the phone, not in lightning-speed digital format.

Best thing is to make a new year's resolution (even on the 8th!) to get some treatment and get over the phobia. Then you won't care what people post.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I agree it's unnecessary but I honestly cannot believe half the stuff people actually publicize on Facebook. Although I'm not going to lie, it's somewhat amusing to witness other peoples' drama unfold in the cyber world. I see legitimate very heated fights between boyfriends and girlfriends displayed on Facebook for all the world to see. I am so very thankful my boyfriend and I are able to keep our personal, intimate life private, not to mention we have knowledge of the power to communicate--such an amazing skill to have that so many seem completely oblivious too. Perhaps they just fancy the attention, because God knows they get a ton of it. It's like people these days completely forget the ability to have face to face confrontation, not to mention the fact half the garbage people post online, they would NEVER have the balls to say it to someone's face. Amazing.
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 01-09-2012 at 05:00 AM.

OMG Senny....I could not agree more. I can be having a good day not thinking about my phobia too much, and BAM someone on facebook starts talking about how sick they are. This week has been the worst. I'm already in panic mode because my girlfriend had it last week and I was with her alot while she was sick. It's been a week and haven't gotten it yet but I feel like there is talk of the sv and v*ing everywhere I turn. Even on the tv shows I'm watching to distract myself! I feel like it is just everywhere lately and it is making my anxiety go thru the roof!
    Wow...didnt mean to rant so much!! Just needed to vent I guess!!