So I've had emetophobia ever since I can remember, and I'm now 17. Although I didn't know it had a name until earlier this year. My mum told me that even when I was a baby, v* scared me. Recently, (in the past few months) it's gotten pretty bad. I play the flute and tenor saxophone and piccolo, and have been for a long time. 6 years for flute. And all of a sudden, before a concert, I just shut down. I completely freaked, and refused to go. I had few solos, and would be playing in 3 of the 4 bands. My parents were so concerned, and I nearly got taken to the hospital.
That was in the beginning of October. Now, I am seeing a therapist, and have been working with my school counselor and teachers. But just a couple weeks ago, I started getting extremely nervous in band class. It used to be just during performances, but all of a sudden it was all the time. I started getting full blown panic attacks, and had to keep running to the bathroom. Not to mention, I was playing the piccolo at the time, so I had a bunch of solos. I ended up giving my piccolo part up to a friend, but that still didn't help. So now, I am not playing during band class, I am instead practicing in a room and just taking it day by day. I have figured out that all this anxiety is definitely directly related to emetophobia. I can't stand being in the middle of the band, with all those people around me. Even the thought of playing in band right now causes me to panic a bit.
I know this is kind of specific, but I know that of all people, you guys will understand. Does anyone else experience things like this?
I am so thankful to have so many people supporting me, and to have this website.