Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Fear of Surgery

[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]Hello everyone I am new to this site and need help!I have had my fear of thowing up under
    control for the last 14 years.Just reacently.Ihave had problems with my
    knee.I went to my family Doctor and he said it was inflamitioin and
    treated me for it .I still had problems so I took my wifes advice and
    saw a Sports Orthipedic Doctor.He did an MRI of my knee and it showed a
    tear in my Cartilage in the right knee.But he did not belive the pain I
    was haveing was from this.So he has me going to theraphy 3 times a week
    for 3 weeks,and this is the last week.I am supposed to go back to the
    Doctor this Wednesday for follow up.The theraphist says this past
    Thursday that the treatments should have helped by now.It has helped
    some.But my behind the knee is sore.The theraphist has talked to the
    Doctor and she asked me how I would feel about an exploritory scope
    surgery.The thought of surgery and anesthesia and being sick at my
    stomach has made me a nevous reack.I have been haveing Panic
    attacts,and I have not even talked to the Doctor yet.I even dread to
    tell him my condition.I don"t know if I can go thru with surgery or
    not.Can anyne help?

I am sorry that you are going through this. When I had my surgery to take out my gall bladder I talk to the doctor who was knocking me out and I told him about my fear, he said he understood, he suffers from panic attacks to, but not my phobia, he gave me something before he knocked me out and asked how I feel I said fine, he gave me a new anti-nausea shot and gave me another one at the end of my surgery I was fine. Is there any way that you could possibly speak to the doctor who will be preforming the anesthesia on you?

Don't worry about surgery. I just had surgery in Febuary, and like you, I was completely freaking out!!! I never did v*!! I told the anestheologist about my fear, and she made sure that I woundn't get sick. I got anti-emetics before I went into surgery, and I got a couple injections of anti-emetics right after I woke up. I never v*. They can give you drugs that do absolute wonders. So please, try not to worry. I know its hard, but I too was really nervous, but it never did happen. And to tell you the truth if you did v* after surgery, you probably won't even remember, or even care if you do when you wake up, cause you are so out of it, and you have so many drugs in your system, that you can barely even remember your own name. I promise its not that bad, and doctors will help you in any way they can.

MicheleEdited by: mitch4133
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

Hi, and welcome to the site! I had two surgeries last summer and one of my biggest fears was waking up sick from the anesthesia. I told my anesthesia doc about my fear and he assured me that he would do everything in his power to keeo me from getting sick. he said that the drugs they have out now for nausea and vomiting are amazing. he said VERY RARELY do they ever have anyone get sick anymore. He assured me that he would put something in my IV before my surgery, during my surgery and right before they woke me up. I promise you I never felt sick at all!!!!

hey

talk to your docotrs beforehand about any and all concerns you have. they do need to know and it helps to talk as much as you need or want to before the surgery so they can do everything possible to make you comfortable.

however on the positive side i had jaw surgery last year and never got sick once from the meds even though i was gassed before the anestetic (supposed to be worse) due to allergies. they can give you drugs as they are pulling you out of the anestetic so you dont get sick. thats what they did for me. and they are wonder drugs for this. ask also what drugs they are going to have you on after surgery to deal with the pain and swelling. you may want to take an anti-emit until you come of the drugs as well as some of them can be harsher on the stomach, especially in combination.

It is the "not knowing" that makes the anxiety level high, speak to your doctor, the doctor who is performing this surgery or the doctor who is giving you the anesthesia, you need reasurrance and you will get that by talking to the doctor.

Hi,

I had the same fear as well. I am a registered nurse so you would think that I would not fear surgery after having observed several in the OR. I had to have a D&C about 3 years ago and when the doctor told me I would have to have one, I just cried and cried because of the fear of n/v. Believe it or not, the doctor (an OB/GYN) did not like *v*either. He said he couldn't stand to see someone else do it. Anyway, I discussed my fears with him and the anesthesiologist. I remember saying right before they "put me under" that I just didn't want to wake up sick. And, of course, I did not. I was just fine but very sleepy. One of the nurses told me that alot of times people get sick because they eat too soon after surgery. I was really hungry a few afters after my surgery and I did eat. I felt slightly nauseaous but never any *v*. I can say that it did help me to overcome my fear of surgery, but if I had to have anything major done, I would probably fear it again!

If it makes you feel any better, I have talked to many people that have that kind of surgery on the knee and all have done very well with no n/v.

Jess

Let me tell you about surgery! I have had six surgeries and only felt sick from one of them because I had to drink that stuff that cleans your intestines out and it did not agree with me. The drugs today are excellent! I had three c-sections, and I was awake for two of them and scared to death because I had heard really old stories of people being sick, but everyone assured me I would not become ill, and I didn't. Everyone probably has a little fear of surgeryof one degree or another, but it is actually quite safe and easy to recover from. Get it done so they know what is going on in there.

Stephanie

If you really don't want to go under, another option is requesting an epidural. When I have my upcoming kneesurgery, that's what I'm having - trouble is, you're awake for it!

lol i know i sound sick, but i think i would like to be awake if i was having knee surgery so i could watch! i want to be a be a dr despite my emet and surgery fascinates me! As everyone else said, tell your drs and they will do everything they can to help you. Remember, they dont want to go through excess anxiety after your op because they want you to recover quickly. You will do fine!

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]I thank everyone for your responce.I
    will have a talk with the Doctor,beleive me.I am new to this site and
    would like to ask a dumb question.What is Anti-emit?Also I am glad I
    found this site because I thought I was the only one with this
    problem.It is comforting to know that there are more people like
    me out there.Mabe we can comfort each other.About 2 yrs. ago I had an
    upper scope run.It wasn't as bad as I thought.And later I had the lower
    scope and no problems there either.I guess my biggest fear is getting
    sick and being druged and can't do any thing about it.But the meds I
    got then for that scope was so relaxing.Its the waiting an thinking
    about it thats the hardest.Thanks again,...breasons.

Hi. I had to go into hospital last year to get wisdom teeth out under anaesthetic. I didnt care about how much it would hurt or if I never woke up again, just as long as I wasn't sick. They gave me anti emetics while I was under. As soon as I shut my eyes it seemed I'd opened themstraight away and it was done. There was no nausea, and they had sedated me aswell and all I wanted to do was sleep.

They do everything they can now to make sure you won't be sick, and explain how you feel to them and they'll do even more. But it won't make you sick. Trust me.

Roz xx

An anti-emetic is an anti-nausea pill. It makes you feel less nauseous!

I have never had surgery, but everyone's advice here sounds great!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!