Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Lightbulb Panic/Nausea At WORK!

Hey guys, im back with yet another post. Lol. Cause all you guys are really supportive. I love it! But as some of you might know, i started my new job on thursday night. (I work 3rd shift) Its a warehouse for sanitary supplies. Pretty easy going, lotta lifting, and walking. The first day went well, but around 2 i started feeling nauseated and panicky. So i had to keep going into the restroom to pace in the bathroom. I was scared i was going to get in trouble for skipping work and just going int the bathroom. I just want to know some techniques you guys use for coping at work. especially cause its a new job, and its night shift. It worse at night for me, so it bothers me. What should i do if i get really nauseated? Should i just take a phenergan and tell myself, hey phenergan helps my nausea and help me for not vomiting? Or what?

Default Re: Panic/Nausea At WORK!

Well, you don't want to get addicted to the antiemetics, so I'd not take one unless you were honestly n* and not just n* from anxiety. That's good your job is an active job with lots of movement...what I would do is just work extra hard...lift as much as you can, walk as much as you can, be busy with work...that will get your mind off the anxiety, which I really belive is causing your n*. If you focus on your job and getting yoru work done, you'll be fine!

I know i do, do that. But while im working hard, and lifting and all that, the nausea is still there. =/ I just am scared if its not anxiety nausea , or if im actually going get sick. =/

I also agree you need to lay off the anti nausea meds. You should consider inpatient care for your anxiety or try different meds. This seems to be daily with you and im not sure what more advice we can give you.

Nausea is nausea, plain and simple. Anxiety nausea IS nausea, you are nauseous. HOWEVER, the difference is that 1. it is caused solely by anxiety, hence YOU can make it go away and 2. you will not vomit from it.

A good assumption is that 99.9999% of the time, with emets, it is purely anxiety nausea. It is hard to tell the difference, I know. But part of facing this fear is saying ok, logically this is most likely anxiety nausea. Because I felt it yesterday, and the day before, and the week before, and I was fine all those times. I know it's really hard to trust that you are fine, but more than likely you are.

Are you allowed to listen to an ipod while working on the palettes? Scaredsick is right that the easiest way to get your mind off it is to keep busy. Please try to only take anti nausea meds as a last possible resort. Think of holding off on your meds as a way of fighting your fear. And I always try to go one hour at a time. I think "if I go one more hour, I can see if I need the meds again." Then, I evaluate in an hour, and do it again. Usually, I get through the whole shift by challenging myself not to take them.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

It may not be a good idea to take something that's going to make you drowsy at work, so maybe you can try ginger candy or those sea sickness wrist bands. Also, make sure you avoid things that can cause anxiety and/or trigger nausea -- like caffeine, sugar, artificial sweeteners, etc.