Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default can emet lead to agoraphobia?

I have been wondering what my deal is lately. I have been trying to stay at home most of the time. I think i want to avoid catching the dreaded sv. So i havent been out in public very much this winter...now, I am wondering, since i havent been out i havent been exposed, if i go out now will i be more susceptable? Will I be more likely to catch it?
    This is a 2 part post but I think it kind of ties in together.
    I lost my grandfather the day after christmas, i am leaving to go to Japan for his 49 day ceremony next week, since i havent exposed to much will i catch something on the plane? or maybe once i get there? or in the airport? In addition, before i leave for Japan I am going to NC to visit my dad. Will i catch some crap from there? I am leaving the day after we get back from his house. Will i have contracted something then come down with it on the plane??? I am soooo worried about this because I havent been exposed to a lot.
    So, can severe emetophobia lead to agoraphobia (i think thats the name for the fear of leaving the house)? I haavent left in awhile so am i strong enough to leave now?

Default Re: can emet lead to agoraphobia?

Yes, it certainly can. Agorophobia is not exactly one of the many phobias on a list. It's a symptom of sorts and thus it can be comorbid (occur at the same time) with other phobias and depression.

Avoidance is what causes fears to turn into phobias. Since we avoid vomiting naturally as adults, emetophobia is quite common and also fairly severe in sufferers. So the more you avoid anything the more likely you are to get a severe fear of it.

As for your worries about being more susceptible to norovirus because you haven't been out - don't worry - that's got nothing to do with it. You can only catch it if you touch surfaces that have been contaminated and then you put your hand in your mouth (or nose). So just don't do that when you're traveling and you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck! Sorry to hear about your grandfather, btw. And right after Christmas too - how sad.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you Sage. Very informative response. So I just booked my ticket and i am leaving a week from tomorrow. I have been taking my son back to his mommy's morning out class. Do you think I should keep him home to keep him well just in case. the last thing i need right now is to have him catch something and pass it on to me. I DO NOT want to be sick on the plane. I went out to Seattle Washington in September and a cold came on while i was on the plane....miserable! I can only imagine if i caught a sv on the plane!

I imagine that with all these bugs going around, emets would want to avoid going out too much in case they catch something, & if emet really takes over someone`s life, they could become agarophobic.