Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What cleaning products kill noro? I have the answer

My other post about taking a bleach solution with me to clean a hotel in NYC, I started doing research and of course bleach is best but I didn't know if a product with bleach in it also works. I found an old post on here where someone emailed clorox asking if clorox clean up with bleach works and they said they couldn't answer because no studies have been done. That was a few years ago so I guess they have since done studies. Good news!!! I hope this link works...
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Yd1zyHZsxXXFcg

Default Re: What cleaning products kill noro? I have the answer

I've never seen the cleanups with bleach, only the regular cleanups. Anyone in the US know where to get them?

I'd really like to see a study that says alcohol hand sanitizers kill norovirus. (Not talking about their wipes, but they say in the article that 62% alcohol solutions will kill it.) They only cite 2 studies, one from 1999 (basically useless) and another from 2003, which is still 10 years old. So if they're off-base about the alcohol gels they sell, where is the science to back up anything else they say?

I'll tell you why these kind of ads make me mad. I mean, on the one hand, if emets can feel "safer" with alcohol gels then why burst their bubbles you might ask. Well, because if it's a crock and emets use the products and catch noro anyway then they come on the boards and scare everyone else by saying they've been "very hygienic" and caught it anyway.

Zipity - I want to thank you for posting this. I really appreciate anyone who posts links like this, so I can check them out. So keep finding this kind of stuff, folks. But don't take anybody's word for it that is trying to sell you something.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Interesting - I just saw this thread from gumdropper: http://www.emetophobia.org/showthread.php?t=37435
    Check that one out and compare to what Clorox is saying!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Those are commercial products though, right? So not the standard products we buy at the store.

Sage, I must have completely skipped over the Clorox advertisement that says alcohol based sanitizers kill it! Where in the world did they get that information?? You pretty much can't rely on ANYTHING you read these days. I don't even bother with hand sanitizer anymore. I just wash the crap out of my hands whenever I can. I believe that's the ONLY thing that can keep you healthy. I do wonder, also, why straight bleach takes five minutes to kill noro, while the wipes are supposed to only take one minute. I wonder if we could write to Clorox and ask for where they obtained their information. I thought stuff like this was regulated. Seems like a little false advertising, and I know companies get in trouble for it ALL the time

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    Sage, I must have completely skipped over the Clorox advertisement that says alcohol based sanitizers kill it! Where in the world did they get that information?? You pretty much can't rely on ANYTHING you read these days. I don't even bother with hand sanitizer anymore. I just wash the crap out of my hands whenever I can. I believe that's the ONLY thing that can keep you healthy. I do wonder, also, why straight bleach takes five minutes to kill noro, while the wipes are supposed to only take one minute. I wonder if we could write to Clorox and ask for where they obtained their information. I thought stuff like this was regulated. Seems like a little false advertising, and I know companies get in trouble for it ALL the time
    Where did you read that bleach takes 5 minutes to kill Noro?

Ok here is what I have been told by Clorox. The Clorox Clean Up with Bleach spray (green label) you buy in the store, like Walmart, Target etc does NOT kill noro. Their commercial version of it DOES kill noro (looks like it has a blue label and sometimes says germicidal on the label) I guess its just a higher concentration of bleach. I was told by clorox you should be able to find this product at hardware stores like home depot, lowes, menards etc. I haven't looked yet though.
    They also informed me when mixing your own bleach solution, its good for 24 hours.
    I also emailed Lysol and their disinfectant spray DOES kill noro, of course they made sure to say "when used as directed on the bottle" lol

Nothing kills noro instantly, mainly because it isn't "live" outside of a host. So the bleach has to completely break it down and that takes time. Spray and leave the solution on before wiping it off.

Recently i was reading about the whole stomach flu virussus inculding the noro that can cause it and what i have read is that alcohol doesnt kill it and that the best solution so far is indeed bleach

Am I right in thinking that washing your hands with warm water and soap doesn't KILL norovirus germs but washes them down the drain?
    So if that is effective surely it would be effective to wipe noro germs off surfaces - say with warm soapy water and a cloth - and then chuck them in the bin (by chucking the cloth in the bin)?
    So that way you remove them from the surfaces like you remove them from your hands...Is that possible?

As for cleaning products I've always read bleach is the most effective way to kill noro germs, some cleaning products contain bleach but I don't know if that is enough or if you need to use bleach and water.
    Most alcoholic hand gels say on them 'kills 99.9% of bacteria' and doesn't mention germs so I don't think they even try to sell themselves as effective against viruses. Apparently there is one for sale in the UK at least that claim to kill germs as well as bacteria but i've looked in the shops and haven't found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    I'd really like to see a study that says alcohol hand sanitizers kill norovirus. (Not talking about their wipes, but they say in the article that 62% alcohol solutions will kill it.) They only cite 2 studies, one from 1999 (basically useless) and another from 2003, which is still 10 years old. So if they're off-base about the alcohol gels they sell, where is the science to back up anything else they say?

I'll tell you why these kind of ads make me mad. I mean, on the one hand, if emets can feel "safer" with alcohol gels then why burst their bubbles you might ask. Well, because if it's a crock and emets use the products and catch noro anyway then they come on the boards and scare everyone else by saying they've been "very hygienic" and caught it anyway.

Zipity - I want to thank you for posting this. I really appreciate anyone who posts links like this, so I can check them out. So keep finding this kind of stuff, folks. But don't take anybody's word for it that is trying to sell you something.
    Hey Sage!

Does the Clorox hand sanitizer have alcohol in it? I was wondering because I was thinking of buying it. Do you think it kills the Norwalk virus (noro)?
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:

Quote Originally Posted by CMM811 View Post
    Where did you read that bleach takes 5 minutes to kill Noro?
    Click the link in the OP's post. On the second page where it gives the products that kill noro, it says bleach takes five minutes.
    This same advertisement says alcohol kills it too...

I think companies are very clever with the way they word things. It says "alcohol based hand sanitizers containing at least 62% alcohol are also EFFECTIVE" Effective. Meaning it has an effect. Doesn't necessarily mean it kills it.

A doc I know says the the alcohol hand sanitizers help remove germs byu stripping them from your hands, making them unable to get a "good grip" and set up to replicate. She warns that using them more than directed, or when exposed to a very dirty situation can actually make you more likely to catch something because the germs become resistant. Her advice was use them after shopping or using a public toilet, public transportation etc...

Hi,

I am very new to this site, live in the UK and am really struggling with this horrible phobia at the moment...I just felt the need to share a product that I use in my every day life that especially helps if my children are ever sick, like recently over xmas when my daughter had noro then my son and 2 weeks later my DH was ill too. I was a state but it helped that I could clean everywhere with this stuff. Its a company called Newgenn, their products have been proven to KILL noro but use gentle methods so the products are safe for use around kids/animals etc...I often think its too good to be true but its widely recognised here...and is used in docs surgeries/old people homes/vets/cruise ships etc etc. I think they ship worldwide but I am not 100% sure. This site wont let me post the actual website yet as I am a newbie but if you type Newgenn uk into google it hopefully would pop up

Just wanted to share hope this could maybe help
    Dani x

bleach is the only way im afraid.

Dettol do one which kills viruses in the UK! like this! http://www.dettol.co.uk/surface-cleanser-trigger

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    bleach is the only way im afraid.
    Hi Fixxxer2012,

Sorry but I disagree, there are other options- I thought I was helping others by sharing the info.They use this product in Centre Parcs which is a huge holiday complex all round the uk and in lots of other places so bleach is not the only option.

I disagree too. I have a product called PureGreen 24 that kills noro, and it's not toxic to pets or children. Wonderful stuff!

and yes certain Lysol sprays do kill noro too so bleach is not the only way.

wet ones kill noro