Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default how do u get *sv

I get so many different answers from google. if people say u cant catch it unless the person is showing symptoms then how or why would u get*sv. unless someone has it in ur home, what are the other ways you can catch it? Im a waitress in a busy restaurant and have to touch peoples dirty plates and glasses and i wash my hands constantly but is it true that unless the people currently have *sv in the restaurant i wont catch it?

Default Re: how do u get *sv

You have to ingest either vomit or poop particles. So how that can happens for example at your work...your customer goes to the bathroom has a bowel movement (assuming they have a sv* of course) they don't wash their hands they leave the bathroom, now the virus particles are on the door handle their cup, fork, and plate and anything else they may touch, then you come along pick all that up, you go in the back and eat or smoke (if you do) without washing your hands first and now you have "ingested" the particles from the sick person.

Stomach viruses are passed through the fecal-oral route - or as above said, through ingesting vomit particles.

Basically, if an infected person goes to the toilet for a no.2 and doesn't wash thier hands properly they will leave thier poo germs on whatever they touch.

To AVOID getting this virus yourself, all you need to do is wash your hands before you eat, after you use the toilet and before putting your hands in your mouth. To be safe, most emets avoid touching thier face all together unless they have washed thier hands - which is a perfectly good way to avoid it!

To INGEST vomit particles, you must literally be stood next to a person as they vomit. The particles will 'splatter' into the air and thats how you will get it that way.

To be clear though - stomach viruses are NOT air borne. You can not get sick by an infected person simply BREATHING on you, or in the same room as you.

You CAN get sick if you kiss someone, with a stomach virus, that has literally just vomitted. But I doubt you will be doing that! By the way, if you kiss them before they show symptoms, then you will be fine.

In your own home - if someone is sick, avoid using the same towel as them as they could leave the virus on a towel if they do not wash properly!

And what really pisses me off is thinking back when I last had Noro. I ingested my little cousins... *RAGE*
    If us humans would grow a sense of humility and common courtesy, we wouldn't have to deal with this crap. *RAGE x2*

if this is the only way to catch something, then why is it so common?? just peoples general lack of hygiene? and surely, us emets are the most careful of them all? how come we sometimes get it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. My boyfriend got d and v on sunday and i have taken every precaution possible, cleaned everywhere, washed hands constantly, used a different bathroom and even avoid him, yet i am still petrified that i have it...i feel that i can't relax until thursday when the incubation period is over...its hell :-(

Yes, we generally have bad hygiene. When the person is ill, they usually give up on hygiene. We also tend to set up ourselves. After you wash your hands, where do you dry your hands off on? Bathrooms are prone to flush particles. Just prepare your own food and never touch your mouth when somebody is sick.

thats disgusting when u think about how u get in from ingesting someone elses feces or vomit!!!!!! GROSSSS

the virus lives on any surface for up to 10 days unless cleaned off or killed by bleach. the best chance you have of getting it is by being next to a person V and inhaling the particles or by not cleaning and washing your hands. even with clean hands you should try to never put them in your eyes, ears, mouth or nose. of course kissing, sharing utensils and letting them prepare food is a bad idea as well for at least 3 days after symptoms subside. it's pretty much just common sense.

As well you have to remember, lots of people SAY they wash their hands, but they don't THOROUGHLY. I have been in the ladies at work and watched a woman literally 'flash' their hands under some cold water. That won't do anything.

Soap needs to be used (nothing fancy!) and should be rubbed all over the hands, in between all the gaps, and I tend to do my wrists as well. They need to be rinsed under warm/hot water (not too hot to scald your hands!) for about 15-20 seconds I believe. I do 20.