Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I am recovered.

Thumbs up I am recovered.

Just wanted to post this to tell you there is hope for this disorder.
    I had emetophobia bad for years. Panic attacks. IBS with constipation.
    My mood would go up and down like a yo-yo. My heart fluttered, skipped beats, raced.

A year ago my regular doctor retired and I had to find a new one.
    My new younger doctor took a look at my file and my laundry list of chronic symptoms and prescribed the following:

1) 500 mg of magnesium daily and to include foods high in magnesium in my diet.
    2) eliminate all caffeine, artificial sweeteners, alcohol and sugar from my diet.

I didn't use artificial sweeteners so that was no problem.
    Caffeine was tough because I loved my coffee, chocolate and coke.
    Sugar was going to be tough because I love sweets.
    I was never a big drinker but enjoyed wine and beer regularly.

But, I wanted to get better so I gave it a go.

I immediately started taking the magnesium - that was easy enough. Doctor said it would take at least a month to start feeling any benefits. It actually took three months for me.

I cut the caffeine and sugar cold turkey. Suffered through a week of withdrawl symptoms: headaches, mood swings, cravings, and feeling overall crappy. Small price to pay for what I was hoping to achieve.

The wine and beer took a little longer to let go of. I tapered off slowly, not because I was addicted or anything but because I really enjoyed wine or beer with a meal. But I gave up all alcohol after about a month.

In total it took me 6 months of taking 500 mg of magnesium daily and cutting out everything the doctor said to. By the time 6 months rolled around I noticed these changes:

My irregular heartbeat was corrected. No more weird stuff happening in my chest.
    My moods were regulated. No more ups and downs.
    IBS and constipaton was gone. No more stomach pains, I could finally have a normal bowel movement, and the gas attacks were gone too.
    No more panic attacks. I started waking up calm and going to bed calm.
    Emetophobia was gone. I wasn't obsessing about getting sick anymore. The chronic fear was gone.

This is the first flu season in a decade that I haven't worried about catching something. It's as if my body and mind have calmed right down and don't allow me to get worked up over things that used to drive me crazy.

I still miss my coffee and crave sugar but you know what, if not having those things means I can have my health and peace of mind, I can live without those things. Cravings never killed anyone but panic attacks IBS and emetophobia sure were killing my quality of life. So I choose to live with the cravings and not live feeling sick and scared.

I don't know if this is the answer for everyone but I just wanted to put it out there because it sure was the answer for me after all these years of trying everything else. I mean, it's an easy enough thing to do so you may want to give it a go. Consult your doctor about the magnesium though, don't just start taking it on your own.

Default Re: I am recovered.

Congrats!!!

Thank you, and thanks for reading my post. Was starting to think nobody cared. lol

Sounds awesome...I suffer from a lot of the same symptoms...I take calcium, magnesium and zinc combined. Not sure how much magnesium is in there. I heard it is good for constipation, which I always have. Maybe I should try more? So glad for you!

There is so much to be said about a healthy lifestyle. All the things you gave up are bad for us....I'd have a hard time with not having an occasional beer or wine. I've cut caffeine and take a multivitamin daily with extra C. I will consider the rest. Nice post... Very happy for you-a lot of hard work paid off!

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

so you recovered fully without anti-anxiety meds or therapy?

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    so you recovered fully without anti-anxiety meds or therapy?
    Yes.

Therapy and medication didn't help, not that I didn't try it all.

Quote Originally Posted by wordmister View Post
    Yes.

Therapy and medication didn't help, not that I didn't try it all.

makes sense this phobia can be related to a chemical imbalance that supplements could help. congrats to you.
    Last edited by fixxxer2012; 01-17-2012 at 10:20 PM.

wordmister, you must be a medical miracle! While the caffeine can definitely contribute to anxiety, I've never heard that any of those other things had any effect on anxiety disorders. So lucky you!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    wordmister, you must be a medical miracle! While the caffeine can definitely contribute to anxiety, I've never heard that any of those other things had any effect on anxiety disorders. So lucky you!

agreed, i always thought meds + therapy was the answer in the long run.

i have cut almost all these things out of my diet but instead of making me feel better its increase my anxiety cause its wreaked havoc on my stomach. i think its trying to heal itself? magnesium sounds interesting. it didnt upset your stomach? i am surprised how easily i got myself off sugar and bad foods but its only been a month and my stomach is a mess causing my anxiety to be a mess. and the funny thing, i did all of this to try and get my digestion UNDER control. =/

I dont know if I am a medical miracle, all I know is this is what worked for me. I did do the conventional therapy and medication combo for a long time with little improvement.

The magnesium did not upset my stomach, no.

My guess is that there is no one size fits all answer to this problem. Just like we all developed emetophobia for different reasons, what is going to cure us will probably vary too. If what youre doing isnt working, try something different, keep looking until you find what works for YOU.

Wow.. that is amazing! I hope that I can get rid of this fear one way or another very soon! Congrats!!!! It definitely gives me hope that it can be done.. since so many days it feels so hopeless.

Don't give up hope, if one thing doesn't work look for another and keep looking until something does work. I was frustrated too especially because I was paying good money to see a private cbt therapist and I was doing all the work no matter how hard it was. Two years of this and thousands of dollars later, all I had to show for it was a better understanding of my condition and a couple of relaxation/coping techniques, but the emetophobia was still there.

To be honest, when this new doctor suggested this protocol, I thought here we go again, another thing that's going to be a waste of time. But it wasn't. It was the one thing that worked.

Point is, try everything, no matter how strange it may sound. The one thing you brush off as silly or whatever may be the thing that heals you.

I went to my intake on Friday.. and have my first therapy session this Thursday. I'm hoping it will help. I've been trying to just remind myself over and over that I'm going to be okay.. no matter what happens... and deep breathing. I'm not severe yet.. and I do think pregnancy hormones have really amplified the problem.. so I want to take care of it before it gets worse!! Maybe it won't take very long for me since I"m seeking help before it gets too severe. It's also a good time.. with spring coming to work through it while it's not so bad so hopefully by the time next fall/winter (cold/flu season) get here I will be able to handle it so much better.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by wordmister View Post

I cut the caffeine and sugar cold turkey. Suffered through a week of withdrawl symptoms: headaches, mood swings, cravings, and feeling overall crappy. Small price to pay for what I was hoping to achieve.
    LOLWUT Can you please pass on over some of your epic strength and skill? I am bowing down to you right now, you champion. I seriously commend you for being able to give up caffeine and sugar. I don't know if I possess the willpower to give up two of my best friends. They've been here for me from start to finish hahahah but no, I would really love to be able to give that up. I think it would significantly help to repair my digestive system. My poor stomach probably wants to file divorce from my toxic body HA! Why is junk food so damn good? That is the question...