Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: What would happen if...

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    ithose of you that do feel you need to follow that list take comfort and strength in knowing that lots of us don't follow it and don't get sick........and so try and give it up........

make your life easier
    I agree. And those who follow the usual emet list religiously DO get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by wordmister View Post
    I agree. And those who follow the usual emet list religiously DO get sick.
    Then it should make sense that even though people do all of those OCD things, if you are going to get sick, you are going to get sick...so we should all stop doing them
    I didn't miss the point. I know this is part of what CBT therapy is all about. I understand that there are emets who fall into the category of doing these OCD behaviors. My point was that there are many emets who do NOT fall under this category and still have emetophobia....what do we do as far as treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    Then it should make sense that even though people do all of those OCD things, if you are going to get sick, you are going to get sick...so we should all stop doing them
    I didn't miss the point. I know this is part of what CBT therapy is all about. I understand that there are emets who fall into the category of doing these OCD behaviors. My point was that there are many emets who do NOT fall under this category and still have emetophobia....what do we do as far as treatment?
    You find another treatment, like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    I still feel like my OCD is my little safety net because it keeps me wary of what's going on around me, if nothing else. Foolish, perhaps, but it's a way of life that I just can't escape. And, to be quite frank, if I were offered the chance to be relieved of my OCD today, I would say no. I guess i'm just not ready to accept that things could get better... hmm.

And those who follow the usual emet list religiously DO get sick.
    Really? How does this work? A virus or bacteria has to come from somewhere; it doesn't magically appear and develop in our guts. If you're being cautious and practicing good hygiene, how exactly does it make its way into your body?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
    Really? How does this work? A virus or bacteria has to come from somewhere; it doesn't magically appear and develop in our guts. If you're being cautious and practicing good hygiene, how exactly does it make its way into your body?
    No amount of washing and sanitizing will ever guarantee that you won't get sick. Good hygeine just lowers the risk, that's all. Unfortunately, everyone gets sick once in a while. That's just life. Point in case - look at all the people who posted on this very board that despite their OCD-like hygeine, they got sick.

No amount of washing and sanitizing will ever guarantee that you won't get sick. Good hygeine just lowers the risk, that's all. Unfortunately, everyone gets sick once in a while. That's just life. Point in case - look at all the people who posted on this very board that despite their OCD-like hygeine, they got sick.
    ...So where is this other risk coming from? You wash your hands thoroughly; you prepare your own food. How is a virus or bacteria going to get into your body?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
    A virus or bacteria has to come from somewhere; it doesn't magically appear and develop in our guts.
    True, I wonder how the first person got norovirus.

True, I wonder how the first person got norovirus.
    In much the same way as the first person to get swine flu or bird flu etc - viruses evolve.

I must say, good on you that you feel you have progressed so far on the road to recovery with your emetophobia, but i do find some of your posts a little insensitive to those who are still suffering with it badly and it would be a good idea IMO to think before you post as to how some of your comments would have affected you when you were at your worst with it?

Telling people who are following strict hygiene measures in order to prevent sickness that they will get sick is not helpful or encouraging whatsoever and it's not even true either - your phrase should have been "could" get sick, because theoretically, in the right circumstances if someone did follow a sensible regime of handwashing and food preparation then they could actually prevent themselves vomiting from a virus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.