Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Gone off cod??

Default Gone off cod??

This evening I bought a pack of fresh cod fillets at the local Tesco. They were in the reduced section as they have to be eaten today. When I opened the pack I noticed some liquid/water on top of the fish and when I gave them a good sniff they smelled a bit fishy.

I cooked them well anyway and the cod was really delicious. I'm now having a ridiculous little panic though. What was the water that had collected in the tub and isn't cod supposed to be pretty much odorless? I'm sure there was no ammonia smell and the fishy smell wasn't at all strong.

What do you guys think? Do you think they were still fresh?

Default Re: Gone off cod??

Im pretty sure that if the use by date wasnt til today then you're ok. I know where you're coming from though. I dont know how many times Ive worried about something Ive eaten that might not have been right! Only yesterday I bought 2 chicken breasts in basil and tomato sauce from the chilled cabinet in tesco but cos it was the last one left I was concerned that there may be something wrong with it. I cooked it and it smelt and tasted lovely but afterwards I worried for hrs thinking Id poisoned myself!

Thank you! I'm hoping that it was fine - I mean it tasted great and it only smelled very slightly fishy which I think is normal...well so I keep telling myself!

I'm sure you will be fine but in future... reduced fish really????

I eat the reduced food all the time! In fact I often stock up and freeze it to be defrosted and eaten another day. I have never gotten sick from it.

And yes, fish will smell fishy lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca85 View Post
    I eat the reduced food all the time! In fact I often stock up and freeze it to be defrosted and eaten another day. I have never gotten sick from it.

And yes, fish will smell fishy lol!
    I agree - as long as it doesn't smell gross and potent you should be fine! Fish is just fishy