Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Urgent help needed asap!!!

My 3yr old has sv* I'm not able to look after him I wasn't there wen he v* my mum is looking after him he lives 2doors away!! I went to hers just after he was sick. I am absolutly petrified. I cannot explain my panic! I feel s* myself my stomach is in knots. I'm sooooooo scared I want to run away and hide. Someone help me please.......please help me please.

Default Re: Urgent help needed asap!!!

Somebody? Help?

Don't panic, I'm sure your mum is fine to look after him if she has been up until now, will she be ok to look after him there? does she know how bad your phobia is? If so, try to relax and remember that you probably won't have picked anything up from him before he started V* so just to be on the safe side, have a good clean around your house and keep well on top of your hygene, try to remember as long as you keep unwashed hands away from your face you will be absolutley fine!!

I have no probs with my mum looking after him, but I feel like an awful parent! I so want to look after him, but I'm petrified!!! I am keeping up on hygeine. Yeh my mum knows how bad my phobia is, that's why she is looking after him. My stomach feels awful. Is it panic? I'm just scared that I have caught something.

Yes it will definatley be panic, I get exactly the same and you would think after all this time you would know the difference between those pains but you really don't! You said yourself you were petrified, and I cannot remember the last time I felt petrified and that didn't go along with feeling S* and having pains.
    Please don't feel like a bad mum, you really are not, and there are so sooo many other mums who are exactly the same in your situation, I know myself as soon as my fiance says he feels nauseous I literally apologise to him and pack a bag, its so horrendous and I feel so terrible but it's just one of the bad things that goes along with this phobia, its fight or flight and we are all trying to conquer it to the point where we can stay and fight, until then though at least we have each other to vent about it all and totally understand

I know I'm soo scared, what do u think think the likely hood is that I will catch it?

I'm so very sorry you are feeling this way. Please, please try and get some therapy so that you can learn how to take care of your child when he is sick. I didn't and it hurt my relationship with my son terribly. I won't say you're a bad mom, but a GREAT mom would go overboard to kick this phobia out of her life so she could handle it when her kid was sick.

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    I'm so very sorry you are feeling this way. Please, please try and get some therapy so that you can learn how to take care of your child when he is sick. I didn't and it hurt my relationship with my son terribly. I won't say you're a bad mom, but a GREAT mom would go overboard to kick this phobia out of her life so she could handle it when her kid was sick.

not be be rude but i really don't know if i agree with your post. some of us emets even with children have a tough time handling it when they are sick. we can't help it. i do what i can when mine are but i go to great lengths to ensure i don't catch it. usually i have my wife deal with the V.

I'm actually already having therapy! I know I'm not a bad mum and v* is the only thing I cannot deal with, I am a great mum when it comes to everything else. He was being cared for, I did the right thing by him by not caring for him because I would have been extremely anxious and very stressed which would not be very nice for him when all he wanted was cuddles!!! I'm not on here to be judged I'm on here for people to understand how I feel. Thanks everyone for your kind words and support

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    not be be rude but i really don't know if i agree with your post. some of us emets even with children have a tough time handling it when they are sick. we can't help it. i do what i can when mine are but i go to great lengths to ensure i don't catch it. usually i have my wife deal with the V.
    Fixxer, I didn't ask for people to agree with my post. I am not saying you are bad parents, but I would think you would feel HORRIBLE for passing this stupid phobia onto your child. What do you do when your wife isn't there to "deal with the vomit?" I've defended my position on this far too many times, so I won't post about it any longer. There are far too many defensive people where this is concerned and far too few who accept responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by caragilmore View Post
    I'm actually already having therapy! I know I'm not a bad mum and v* is the only thing I cannot deal with, I am a great mum when it comes to everything else. He was being cared for, I did the right thing by him by not caring for him because I would have been extremely anxious and very stressed which would not be very nice for him when all he wanted was cuddles!!! I'm not on here to be judged I'm on here for people to understand how I feel. Thanks everyone for your kind words and support
    Please do not feel that I judged you. I truly feel for you, as I was in your shoes for many years. I am not judging you at all. I'm so happy to hear you are in therapy. I didn't say you were a bad mum either. I don't even know you. I just know how this can affect children because I've lived it. I'm curious to hear how everyones' relationships with their kids ends up in 20-plus years. Not meant to be crass, just the plain truth. Sorry.

As a mum to a 5 year old, I am honestly of the opinion that much as I stay with her when she is sick, I am sure I am passing my fear onto her and sometimes it is best to let someone else take over who is calmer in the situation - Usually that person is my husband but I do nurse my daughter and try very hard to stay calm BUT no matter what I do the fear is obvious to my little girl and it breaks my heart that this is something that prevents me from being a caring mummy just when I am most needed.... However, I know that I am doing the best I can do and I am sure you are too Caragilmore. xx

I have 3 children and besides my emet i believe i am a great mum. I cant be with them when "it" is actually happening, but i only panic on the inside. I can clean "it" up, wash them and give them plenty of cuddles, i have even held thier hair back ( while looking away). The plus side is i work and my husband stays at home. My mum had a lot of mental health issues while growing up, but none of them rubbed off on me. I think she was and still is a great mum and i wouldnt change a thing about my very happy upbringing or the way i turned out

It so difficult to try and stay calm when it happens I feel its almost impossible at the moment, but I'm hoping that with therapy I can be there with my children when they v* it broke my heart and I certainly hate myself for it. But I do not want my panic to make my children get scared aswell. Thanks for support all.