Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Please help. Really worried.

Hi everyone.

I have been managing me fear to a great level! However, I am having one of those moments where I am worrying. Our power went out yesterday at 7:00 am due to a storm. Our power came on this morning at 8:20 am. My mother in law told me that the food in the refrigerator should be good for 24 hours and the freezer as well. Today, for dinner, my wife cooked chicken meat that was in the freezer. I am so worried I am going to get Staph or some type of food poisoning. Am I okay? Will I vomit?
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Please help. Really worried.

I think you should be fine. As long as the food did not get hot or room temp. and if it is cooked throughly, you will be just fine. It is when the food gets warm that you need to worry.
    michelle

The problem is I am not sure if the air in the freezer was room temp. However, the ice in their never melted to water so it shows that it probably didn't get warm.

There is hope:

youd PROBABLY be okay, I mean I wouldnt eat anything incase :P

Since the ice didn't melt completely, and as long as your wife cooked the chicken to the proper temp. you should be fine. Food doesn't go bad that quickly, especially if the freezer never got to room temp. Relax, try to to distract yourself.

Thank you so much! That really makes me feel better! You people are the best!

There is hope:

You will totally be fine eating the food in the freezer...If the ice didn't melt, then it def stayed cold enough...however...I would not recommend eating the food in the fridge after 6 hours without electricity.

In the UK the fridges are designed to keep food refrigerated for 12 hours once the power is turned off, providing it isn't open and closed too many times. I think freezers are similar with an extended time. As the ice didn't melt it shows that it didn't defrost everything so i think you'll be more than fine, as long as the chicken is cooked thoroughly and piping hot,,,you'll be great! :-)

As long as the fridge and freezer weren't opened throughout the power outage, the food is fine for 24 hours. The chicken wouldn't even thaw in 24 hours in refrigerator temperatures so you'll be fine.

You live in WA? Me too! I'm in Seattle! That storm was terrible. I couldn't leave my house for two days. Ugh luckily we never lost power though

Quote Originally Posted by katiecakes View Post
    You live in WA? Me too! I'm in Seattle! That storm was terrible. I couldn't leave my house for two days. Ugh luckily we never lost power though
    You are so lucky you didn't lose power! It was awful! The whole storm was awful! They say it was the worst one in Puget Sound history (the ice storm).

There is hope: