Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: How often do you take anti-emetics?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daily

8 15.69%
  • Weekly or every other day

11 21.57%
  • Roughly a few times per month

5 9.80%
  • A few times per year

13 25.49%
  • Never

14 27.45%

Default How often do you take anti-emetics?

I'm just curious about anti-emetic use.

If you do take anti-emetics, please post what kind you take and for what conditions. Also, if the particular brand you take is effective.

Last edited by lizzo; 01-23-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: How often do you take anti-emetics?

I put 'never' because I have literally only taken them once in my life, and that was when I was in hospital with my Crohn's and a nurse gave it me. It was cyclizine (or something like that).

Liz, as bad as I hate to say it, I voted every other day or weekly. It is NOT truly as frequently as every other day, but it is usually more than once a week. Now here's where it gets tricky: I only use gravol and similar this often and I could certainly make some good excuses to use it that much. I have a lot of issues from which I could benefit from the use of a good antihistamine. I tend to have a lot of nasal allergies, and difficulty sleeping. I also do have a lot of mild nausea, which could be from anxiety or might be some as yet undiscovered physical ailment. Since I've had gas/nausea/upset stomach for as long as I can remember and emet since I was 8 at least, and have never had any of this turn into a serious medical issue, I don't think I am risking my life/health by covering up the symptoms. I'm 30 now and it's pretty much the same old same old. When it comes to stronger antiemetics, I do/have had access to them but very, very rarely use them, only when I've had a SV and one other time when I felt incredibly nauseous. Maybe I'm talking like an addict and justifying my use, but seriously even with the gravol, when I've had low anxiety, low nausea I've gone weeks or more without taking a single one. It is a security blanket I know, but I feel it probably will not hurt me very much, as from what I understand the biggest risks of antiemetic use are a) It might work too well and stop v*ing if you've been poisoned by a chemical like drugs, alcohol, etc or b) it might work too well and cover up a serious illness. Thant's my 2 bits.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    Liz, as bad as I hate to say it, I voted every other day or weekly. It is NOT truly as frequently as every other day, but it is usually more than once a week. Now here's where it gets tricky: I only use gravol and similar this often and I could certainly make some good excuses to use it that much. I have a lot of issues from which I could benefit from the use of a good antihistamine. I tend to have a lot of nasal allergies, and difficulty sleeping. I also do have a lot of mild nausea, which could be from anxiety or might be some as yet undiscovered physical ailment. Since I've had gas/nausea/upset stomach for as long as I can remember and emet since I was 8 at least, and have never had any of this turn into a serious medical issue, I don't think I am risking my life/health by covering up the symptoms. I'm 30 now and it's pretty much the same old same old. When it comes to stronger antiemetics, I do/have had access to them but very, very rarely use them, only when I've had a SV and one other time when I felt incredibly nauseous. Maybe I'm talking like an addict and justifying my use, but seriously even with the gravol, when I've had low anxiety, low nausea I've gone weeks or more without taking a single one. It is a security blanket I know, but I feel it probably will not hurt me very much, as from what I understand the biggest risks of antiemetic use are a) It might work too well and stop v*ing if you've been poisoned by a chemical like drugs, alcohol, etc or b) it might work too well and cover up a serious illness. Thant's my 2 bits.
    I don't take anti-emetics, but I do carry them around with me like a "security blanket", it's a bad habit, but it's comforting to know they are there if I need them. Did the anti-emetics help when you had a SV?

Have you ever spoken to your doctor about your tummy issues?
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never have. I didn't even know they existed until I started lurking on this site and until my mom was prescribed them for severe fp.

Liz I THINK the antiemetics probably helped me to not v* when I had a SV last month. That having been said, who's to say for sure I would have v*ed without them, but whenever I have felt that bad in the past and not used them, I have eventually thrown up at least once. The same virus made my dad very, very sick....out both ends, but my mom took no antiemetics and generally had a mild case, no v*, felt miserable for a couple of days, mild d* and my brother did not get this thing at all.

I used to take them a few times a month, but now I haven't taken one for many months. Last time I took one was because I had food poisoning. Probably wouldn't have vomited anyways, but I felt like I might and I had REALLY severe diarrhea... Sorry tmi! lol Generally now when I feel ill or anxious I reach for something to calm the anxiety, not the nausea. I have Zofran and Compazine though, I got them prescribed for debilitating nausea on the first day of my period.
    Last edited by person54321; 01-23-2012 at 11:00 AM.

I clicked never, but I did have them once in hospital alongside pethadine in labour. I'm kinda weird for an emet because I never feel s* or n* unless I am genuinely unwell x

I checked weekly or every other day although like someone else said it only because it's usually more than once a week that i have to take them. I take zofran and I think its amazaing. I had a sv* or fp* on the day after thanksgiving and it definitely kept me from v* but it took about 16 mg of it in order to do so. I have other reason on why i take it so often. I have ibs and whenever I have the cramps and loose bms I take a zofran because it binds me up. And I have n* from ibs. This is all with my doctors instruction!
    Everyone needs someone who understands!

I've voted 'a few times per year' as I only take them when I feel really n* to the point of panic attack, which is thankfully just a few times a year. I rarely at all get real n* that is caused by illness but sometimes it's hard to tell what's what in the middle of a panic.

That said I carry them in my handbag just in case - a bit of a safety blanket for me too - mostly because I don't want to be panicking when I'm out and about. I have domperidone which is over the counter stuff, and I have Pepto Bismol at home, which I used for mild n* and general dodgy stomach. I try to rely on ginger tea/mind distraction when I feel a bit sick before resorting to antiemetics, as I don't want them to lose their effectiveness (I find domperidone to be very good).

Never taken one.

I take Motilium occasionaly, & also ginger & Pepto Bismol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzia View Post
    before resorting to antiemetics, as I don't want them to lose their effectiveness
    Doctors say anti-emetics can't lose their effectiveness.

I ticked Roughly a few times per month. I use Phenergan. I try not to take any unless I'm truly nauseated; but I often feel dreadful with PMS/periods.

I take Benadryl when I'm anxious I'm the evening and nauseated perhaps a few times a month? I take pepto a lot, like any time my stomach feels acidly or off I just drink it straight from the bottle. I also have suppository gravol and mitts spine for true emergencies, but I almost never take them. I'll only take them if I actually vomit.

Never, although I wouldnt hesitate to take some if I genuinely had a sv and vomited. If it was a sv and I didn't think I was going to vomit, I wouldn't bother but if I actually started being sick, I would. Although, how effective it would be, I don't know.

I think it's beside the point to take them once you've vomited. A) I usually don't care as much about subsequent episodes (to a point anyway, anxiety wise) as that first one which I would try to avoid at all costs. B) Once you've vomited I wonder if they would really stay down. I have my doubts. It seems to take gravol or phenegran between 30-60 minutes to really kick in full force.

I put a few times a year, but I haven't taken anything stronger than Pepto-Bismol in almost 12 years, and most of the time I take that, it's for diarrhea and I don't seriously expect to be vomiting. In fact, even when I have diarrhea, 9 times out of 10 I don't take Pepto-Bismol until the second session.

That said, I have Gravol suppositories and two other non-prescription anti-emetics ready in case I need them.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

JKL81, there is no harm in taking anti-emetics after vomiting. The worst that could happen is that they'd be puked up too. Gravol is available in suppository form for just that reason. And it doesn't take long for oral medications to be digested. Sometimes they can work in as little as five minutes, so if the stomach hasn't stopped completely, you can often get them in, because a second round of vomiting is most likely to happen 20 minutes after the first one.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

i only take them when i know im getting sick. im always nauseated from my gerd so i don't overdue them either.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    JKL81, there is no harm in taking anti-emetics after vomiting. The worst that could happen is that they'd be puked up too. Gravol is available in suppository form for just that reason. And it doesn't take long for oral medications to be digested. Sometimes they can work in as little as five minutes, so if the stomach hasn't stopped completely, you can often get them in, because a second round of vomiting is most likely to happen 20 minutes after the first one.

Doug
    Didn't say it would be harmful, I just don't know that it would be effective. Maybe it is under the right circumstances.

Moved thread to the Polls section where it belongs

You may find these links helpful!

I wasn't sure what to vote.. I voted a few times a year. Pre-2010 I think I had only taken an anti-emetic three or four times. 2010-2011 was a bad period and I started taking Zofran more frequently, probably about once a month or every other month. Now I hardly ever take anything, and I don't want to, but I would if I felt it was an emergency.

I have prescriptions for Zofran, Phenergan and Compazine.. all for nausea. I don't take them at the same time, I usually rotate. I take them every day and I hate it. I want to stop.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

i have never taken an anti-emetic and to be quite honest i am unsure of what they really are or where you get them. from what i have read pepto is one as well as dramimine (which i though was for motion sickness)? any ways can someone please inform me if these medications are OTC and how they work?
    Thanks

I voted daily. I take Promethazine 12.5mg 3x a day. I take them for a undiagnosed gastric disorder. Technically they reduce my nausea by a thread, but anxiety fights it...

I used to take Phenergan fairly often for a while but thankfully stopped because I couldn't function during the day when I was on them.I take one now perhaps every 4 -5 months?