Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Beer Battered Fish

My family and I were out for dinner on Saturday evening as it was my dads birthday.

The food all tasted fine at the time and everyone seemed to enjoy their meal. My mum and my brothers wife both had the beer battered haddock. We were eating dinner say at about 8.15pm. We all had a few drinks but nobody drank to excess

We went home around midnight or just shortly before.

However the next day, my brother reported that his wife had been up at around 3am v* and my mum had experienced water brash (that thing where you can taste regurgitated acid-sorry if thats graphic) around the same time.

They think it may have been the beer batter from the haddock that caused it. Apparently beer batter has a tendency to be slightly sour sometimes?

Has anyone else ever experienced this or know anything about beer batter - or fish??

I love fish but this would make me a bit cautious- I nearly ordered it but then had fajitas instead. Never been so relieved!

Default Re: Beer Battered Fish

It sounds like your mum had acid reflux/heartburn which is why she could taste the acid and that can happen after eating fried food especially in people of, ahem, a certain age! (and especially if combined with a couple of drinks)

As for the beer batter, i;ve never heard of anything being wrong with it - it's just beer and flour mixed up but even if it had spoilt in some way deep frying would have killed off anything nasty.

If it was anything to do with the food it was more likely the fish but tbh she could have picked up a bug somewhere and it was just coincidental that she got ill after the meal out.

Either way, you will be absolutely fine as you ate different food, and if she did have a bug she wasn't sick when you were together so you can't have caught anything off her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Id say it was the batter, my dad cant eat it as it makes him feel sick enough to vomit and it gives me acid indigestion, shame as we love fish and chips! Dont worry, id even go as far to say im 99.9% sure it was the batter from my own personal experiences!

Mmm Fish n Chips!!! The only thing is, sometimes the grease doesn't sit well with me and gives me nasty indigestion, so that could be the probably that your sis in law could have had an upset stomach from the fish not agreeing with her, as with your mom. Sounds like you ate dinner kinda late, so that always adds fuel to the fire.

Are they both feeling better now?

fried food can cause indigestion and heatburn so i wouldn't worry. beer battered fish & shrimp are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    fried food can cause indigestion and heatburn so i wouldn't worry. beer battered fish & shrimp are the best.
    Now I want some fried shrimp...thanks LMAO

I can't say I've heard of those problems related to beer battered fish. I LOVE beer battered fish!

Elski, your lucky! Anything deep fried or made of pastry kills my stomach and i absolutely love steak and ale pie, if i eat it out i take a lansoprazole an our before and sometimes that doesnt even work.
    Last edited by becca44; 01-27-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Spelling