Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just found out that there has been a MAJOR outbreak of stomach viruses in my town. My step mom called and said that when she took her daughter to the doctor today that the doctor told her that he had to take Monday off because he was so exhausted from only getting 6 hours of sleep all weekend. He was in the hospital admitting kids with the stomach virus. The nurse told her that there has been a MAJOR outbreak! This must be a REALLY BAD virus.

I wonder if it is the rotavirus. I think I am doomed to get this...or my kids. I really dont want my kids to get it!

I feel like crying and hiding. UGH! I hope my family does not get it.

I cannot believe all of this crap...[img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

Oh my gosh, I am so so sorry!! HOw scary!!! I felt this way in January when the Norovirus was everywhere!! Stay positive--my immediate family escaped that outbreak when EVERYONE else we know had it!!

Who else is having outbreaks. It is mainly children but you know what that means...parent possibly getting it and spreading it all around!

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

You are in Maryland right? You are on the Eastern Shore if I
    remember correctly. You also haven't had much of it this year,
    yeah? I know we have had so many outbreaks here in Baltimore since last
    October that it isn't even close to funny.,

We were hit really bad in late December. My kids' school was
    overcome with it. On one day only 120 of 340 kids were in school
    and on that day 35 of the 120 went home sick with a sv. We then
    had another bad outbreak during the last two weeks of February.
    Then the week of March 14th and the week that followed we were hit
    really bad around here. I hope with temperatures climbing to the
    70's, this s**t will finally die down.

As for the virus stuff, I know that rotavirus is pretty rampant now
    amongst the young kiddos. Also know this about the stomach
    virus. Often, not always, it rises, peaks and drops off within a
    two week period. Lets just pray it does where you are and here as
    well.

Stella

Oh, I am so sorry. Here too. My daughter had one last Tuesday and whenI called the doctor's office to tell them/ask what to do, they said it's really going around. One of my friends told me the same thing---almost all of her daughter's friends and kids in her preschool got it (including her daughter). You're not in the Philadelphia suburbs, are you? I am, and it's rampaging. I'm having serious anxiety ever since my daughter had it (as I'm sure you can imagine . . . )

AHHHHH!!! It is April, for crying out loud--this should be the end of all of that stuff!! Now I am going to worry about it around here again--I let Haley read abook in the dr.s office at my appt. today while she was eating a little box of Cocoa Puffs, so I am hoping there was nothing nasty lurking on the book--especially after the incident at my last dr.s appt. The OB office is in the same bldg. as the WIC office and where they do the kids shots for the health department, and they share a waiting room.

Think about how many people are in your town, than factor in the amount of people getting sick. I'm pretty sure the doctor was exaggerating. It's just like when you have a busy day at work, you exaggerate on a lot of points, maybe he was just exhausted and said that there was a 'major outbreak' to emphasize his exhaustion. I don't know, just a possibility. But still, just stay clean and positive (very important) and you will be fine.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Stella I do live in Maryland...Eastern Shore. We did have some major outbreaks in February and the beginning of March. Almost everything long term care facility had it.

I am really thinking that this thing with the kids is possibly rotavirus.

I am just worrying because of this stuff going on at work. If I have it, I cant really do anything about it. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] I was surrounded by it. At least I wasnt involved in direct care. I hope the GNA's were clean...

I hope, hope, hope you get that other job! My fingers are still crossed! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    \"This too shall pass\"

From what I have heard in my area, that rotavirus has been pretty rampant. I heard some ladies talking about it at a wedding shower I went to this past weekend. It is spring break around here for alot of children, maybe things will stay calm down here. The weather is great around here now, finally.
    Sometimes I think doctors over exagerate (SP?) when things are going around. They only see a small percentage of the population, or either they are basing it on how many of THEIR patients they are seeing with it.
    Please try not to worry and kinda lay low and see what you hear over the next few days.

It got rampant AFTER our spring break here. UGH

I'm sorry what you are going through right now. I'm sure you will be fine. Exactly how long does rotavirus last?? What is the incubation period?

I havent been exposed to rotavirus...it is just going around among children here (and possibly their parents) Rotavirus incubation can be up to 4 days and lasts 2-3 days up to 10 days. Kids get is worse.

There is a virus going around my work. UGH! They are culturing for norovirus. Which is GREAT!

I just read in the papers that a couple of wards in a hospital near me have been shut down due to the Norwalk virus. It's like "WHY DO THEY NEED TO PRINT THIS!!!" It's made me worry even though I've not been near the place or know anybody its just in my head now! I hate it! Why do these stupid things start?!! How do they start?! I bet its from bloody idiot visitors being ill but thinking "I feel well enough now to go in and visit!" when they're still infectious! Sometimes, and I don't know why, I blame people for actually getting ill, even thought they can't help it.

Sorry! Rant over! It's just a pain in the arse!

xx

OMG when will all this end?????
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I'm testing my new avatar here to see if it worked

Yay!! It did!!!!

Okay, now I can comment on this!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] I think rotavirus might be worse than norovirus!! My kids had rotavirus, and the bad thing about it is that it can flare back up in kids!!! I don't know if they are contagious when it flares back up or not. My kids had it and they would throw up intermittently, with no warning. I almost went crazy that year. But, we couldn't isolate them, so even if one of them had a single bout of v'ing, we would continue on with our day, and no other kids got sick from them except for Lgoan's best friend who we were with the FIRST time they got sick. It's nasty. I would try to prevent my kids from getting that, but if your kids have already had it, I THINK they might be immune from it.

It is rotavirus. It was on the news today that an average of 5 kids a day are being sent to the hospital. Early spring is the worst time for it[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]. They said it affects little ones a lot worse than older kids. Especially kids under 2 years old.

Conner had this when he was a year and a half old BAD. He v* and had massive d*...like 8-10 times a day (d*). He had is for about 10 days! This is what rotavirus does. Dehydrates them beyond belief. UGH. I am sure it is not that bad on every child.

I am scared Madison will get it. I hope not! I am praying....

The good thing is...it usually creates an outbreak for a short period and then *poof* its gone![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

Donna

I love your new picture[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Your girls are cute!

Wow, I have never heard of an outbreak of it!! I just know when the girls got it they barfed and barfed!! If you can keep Madison away from prime rotavirus infested areas then you should be okay!! My girls actually caught it from an adult!! AGHHHHH!! THat was in the days before my emet became worse than ever--actually that was the cause of my emet becoming this bad!!

Donna

When Conner had that episode of rotavirus that I described that is what caused my emet!

Oh yea...I would NEVER go any place infested[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Rotavirus is awful. My son had it when he was two and a
    half. He had v*** and d*** on and off for a week. Then he
    had horrible constipation for three days. We had him tested for
    rotavirus and it came back positive.

You are right that it comes with a fury and then "poof" it is gone.

This weekend is going to be chilly so I am worried that the sv with return.

Stella

I can't believe all of this is circulating. I haven't heard of any stomach virus's going around here, only the strep throat that has caught me! My heart goes out to you Debbie

Oh God! I thought rotavirus only caused diareah!I wonder if that is what my kids had last week and on Good Friday. I am just outside Boston and I have'nt heard anything about an outbreak on the news but Almost all the kids at school that I talk to their moms', They have either had it recently or have it now-stomach virus that is. I assumed it's norwalk because I did'nt know rotavirus caused v* . Lets hope they come out with that vacine soon!Well don't dispair, knock on wood neither I nor my hubby got it from the kids and it's been 1 week since my 8yr old had it and 2 weeks since my 5 yr old had it. I'm still nervous though, I'm actually having my rugs steam cleaned today to remove the possible v* germs in it. You guys don't think it will make any germs airbourne do you?

They used to have a vaccine for rotavirus called the Rotashield. They had to take it off the market because it was causing bowel intussusception.
    1. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><A name=2>What</A> is intussusception? </LI>

<BLOCKQUOTE>

Intussusception is an uncommon type of bowel obstruction that occurs when the bowel folds in on itself. Intussusception is most common among young children. Some cases occur with viral infection, or when a piece of enlarged tissue serves as a "lead point" (e.g., polyp or enlarged lymph gland), but no cause is identified in most cases. The most common place in the intestine for intussusception to occur is where the small bowel joins the large bowel. However, intussusception can occur in many parts of the intestine. With prompt treatment, almost all patients fully recover.

I cant wait until they come out with something. This is SO ridiculous. I think Madison is developing an ear infection and I dont wanna take her to the doctor because of the outbreak. I am waiting for a nurse to call back now[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]</BLOCKQUOTE>

Poor Madison[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Ear infections hurt. Mabey her pediatrician will just send your pharmacy a prescription instead of making you go infor a sick visit. What I usually do(I don't know how your ped's office is set up),is I sit closest to the entrance way door and if I can I always make a first thing in the am apointment. I know that dose'nt always work out when you have a sick visit. Last week when I took my daughter Calabria, I sat in the querentin room(because she had the sv) but someone else came in with her daughter. When I told her about my daughter's illness, she said"It's ok shes been v* too". aaaarrrghh! Then she proceeded to ask me why I was wearing a mask. I was soooo embaressed because I've never worn one outside of home before[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]. This stuff is getting to me, I hope everything dies out soon!