Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: hi, i'm new

Hybrid View

Default hi, i'm new

hi, i'm very new to discovering this condition. I have had fears of being s* in public and anxiety with this since i was 3-4 years old and have had it all my life (i am now 21). I thought i was a freak and didn't speak about it to anyone except my mum and most recently my partner (he noticed me being anxious in certain situations).
    It was so bad in school that i began self harming (scratching my arms and legs) to try to distract my feelings of anxiety so i didn't have a full blown panic attack. Recently i discovered this was emetophobia and to have a name to this thing that has effected so much of my life is a relief to say the least.
    I would love to talk to others who want to discuss emet and give me any advice on the next steps to take as i have my graduation from university coming up and would love for me to be free from this so i can enjoy the day.
    Last edited by jess_colleen; 01-27-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Default Re: hi, i'm new

Hi and welcome you'll find loads you can relate to here!

Hi there! I am new as well. I had no idea (up until a few days ago) that there was a name for this, myself. It is kind of comforting to know there are others out there that feel EXACTLY as I do. So, thank you. All of you.

You can alwasy PM me. I am new to this too. I am also looking for advice and help to free myself from anxiety and I don't know what to do anymore.

hey! thanks for your replies! I only found out i had this yesterday after years of not knowing. wondering what is the next best step, kinda scared about going to see my doctor in case he won't understand/will never have heard of emet!

and Megan, tried to PM you but says i have to have made 10 or more posts to PM people! I've only made 4! oops!

Hahah okay!

think i have managed to PM you now! let me know if it has worked! haha

Hi, I am very new to discovering that there is actually a name for what I have been dealing with all my life. And even better, I discovered this site a couple of days ago. I am 35 years old and have suffered with this and never knew what it was. I am always terrified to go places and eat anything in case I v* later on. I have been able to get some reassurance and peace of mind from these threads that I am not alone and there are amazing people here that can help me out. Even if it is just to vent or read.

is there a version of the flu shot that doesn't put the live virus in you? I am too scared to get the flu shot because I heard that they actually put a form of the virus in you...wouldn't that just make you sick anyway?