Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Getting better

I just wanted to share an experience I had with all of you. I'm a fourth year university student. Last summer I travelled to a new location for a very stressful job. Before that we had final exams and I pulled an all nighter. I never really thought I was a stressed out person before and people always ask me how I never let stress get to me. Anyway I had a bunch of coke and didnt eat (bad idea) and vomitted during my study session. I also nearly blacked out.

The exam the next day was horrible and I almost couldnt finish, the whole time I was having one big anxiety attack and on the verge of vomiting. I then had to sit through many seminars for work and do training in containment suits with industrial gas masks and such. It was a pretty horrible experience but I never vomited the whole time even though I always felt like it. I also had to take many long truck trips and plane trips which I learned to dread. Small trips to the grocery store or renting a movie were almost too much for me but I did them to build up my self confidence.

I know this all sounds negative but through the 4 months of the summer I never vomited. I found that If I went out drinking I would be completely out of commission the next day and have to fight nauseau for many hours (something I never experienced before)

Its been a year since then and im in exams again and doing many lengthy oral presentations. Im ok for the most part althougih I still feel it sometimes.

I guess my point is that overcoming this phobia is within everyones grasp and dont be discouraged because it doesnt happen overnight. It was a fairly long road for me (that isnt over yet) and I had to start really small after my breakdown basically. I feel that now that I can embrace my anxiety and conquer it Ive bettered myself since I just ignored it before.

Hopefully this helps out some people who were in my position.

Thats great that you have overcome the phobia. I know that all the worry is far worse than being sick and v*. I want more than anything to overcome this. I faced norovirus right in the face today. I am trying to not think about it but it is VERY hard. I will worry until the weekend. I guess I need a couple bouts of sickness? I am mainly worried about my kids. UGH!

Since its all mental the solution is mental too. Everytime you dont v*
    you can think of it was lessening the chance you will next time untill
    after a while the chance seems way too low to worry about.