Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smokers

Default Smokers

Hi everyone! I'm Mina I'm new to this fourm not to the phobia but I wanted to see if who ever smokes cigarettes feels the same as me! I started smoking when I was 15 I'm now 24 and I feel like it really helps when I'm n* or having a panic attack... Does smoking making your n* worse or better? I really want to quit I hate the smell of smoke (crazy I know) and I want live a long happy healthy life with my husband. But smoking is seriously the only thing that makes me feel better. I don't want to take anti depressants or anxiety pills because my family has a HUGE history of addiction I'd rather be addicted to cigarettes than pills.

Default Re: Smokers

Quote Originally Posted by mina16 View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm Mina I'm new to this fourm not to the phobia but I wanted to see if who ever smokes cigarettes feels the same as me! I started smoking when I was 15 I'm now 24 and I feel like it really helps when I'm n* or having a panic attack... Does smoking making your n* worse or better? I really want to quit I hate the smell of smoke (crazy I know) and I want live a long happy healthy life with my husband. But smoking is seriously the only thing that makes me feel better. I don't want to take anti depressants or anxiety pills because my family has a HUGE history of addiction I'd rather be addicted to cigarettes than pills.
    I'm an ex-smoker. I am so very sorry you feel that you'd rather be addicted to cigarettes than to pills. My dad is suffering with lung cancer right now from those stupid cigarettes, and I can tell you, he wishes he never, ever picked them up.
    I, too, used to feel better when I smoked, but I think it was because it calmed me down (crazy, because nicotine is a stimulant.)
    You don't have to be addicted to ANYTHING, actually. I hope you can quit now since you are so young...

I feel the same. I dont panic often but i find smoking really calming. The only rule i have is that i will jot smoke in front of my children and i quit everytime i am pregnant.

If I'm truly n*, I can't even think about smoking - it makes it 100x worse! but if it's just anxiety it does help me to calm down

Yea i agree with Livepink. I cant smoke when im N/* or think about it. it makes it worse

Smoking cigarettes seriously are my calming thing... The only time I can't smoke is when I have a bad cold strep throat or a headache! I don't really smoke a lot for someone who has been smoking for almost 10 years I average between 3-5 cigarettes a day . When I'm n* it's like a half a pack LOL!

I defi find smoking calming too. Weirdly I think it helps me focus on my breathing more.

Quote Originally Posted by kam00096 View Post
    I defi find smoking calming too. Weirdly I think it helps me focus on my breathing more.
    I feel the same exact way because of the smoking I feel like it helps with my breathing!

Yeah, it definitely calms me down. And for some reason I like to smoke right after I eat because for some reason I feel that it helps "push" the food down hahaha. Like if I'm full it will ease some of the discomfort I guess? Not sure if it's all in my head or not...

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    I'm an ex-smoker. I am so very sorry you feel that you'd rather be addicted to cigarettes than to pills. My dad is suffering with lung cancer right now from those stupid cigarettes, and I can tell you, he wishes he never, ever picked them up.
    I, too, used to feel better when I smoked, but I think it was because it calmed me down (crazy, because nicotine is a stimulant.)
    You don't have to be addicted to ANYTHING, actually. I hope you can quit now since you are so young...
    So sorry to hear this. My dad is also suffering with lung cancer at the moment. He promised me, in 1993, that he would give up that year as it was his 40th birthday and I'd been nagging him constantly to give up because I just hated it, and my nan (on my mum's side) had died from lung cancer three years beforehand. Instead, he continued to smoke, hiding it from me for years, even though I'd sussed it out. He would smoke lots of cannabis as well. I really wish I had not been such a quiet child and I wish I'd have made a lot of fuss or else I am convinced he would not have lung cancer now - and he's only 58.

I can understand cigarettes are highly addictive and I can see why they calm anxiety in the short term because of the chemical effect they have in the brain - although in the long term cigarettes raise stress levels. I really do advise you give up and find something else which might help with anxiety. I've never smoked but I find things like herbal teas, lavender etc ease my anxiety. I don't doubt it's hard work giving up but I know it can be done - I've known people go cold turkey overnight with it - including my dad - but I don't want people to be diagnosed with lung cancer or another serious disease before they're prompted to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzia View Post
    So sorry to hear this. My dad is also suffering with lung cancer at the moment. He promised me, in 1993, that he would give up that year as it was his 40th birthday and I'd been nagging him constantly to give up because I just hated it, and my nan (on my mum's side) had died from lung cancer three years beforehand. Instead, he continued to smoke, hiding it from me for years, even though I'd sussed it out. He would smoke lots of cannabis as well. I really wish I had not been such a quiet child and I wish I'd have made a lot of fuss or else I am convinced he would not have lung cancer now - and he's only 58.

I can understand cigarettes are highly addictive and I can see why they calm anxiety in the short term because of the chemical effect they have in the brain - although in the long term cigarettes raise stress levels. I really do advise you give up and find something else which might help with anxiety. I've never smoked but I find things like herbal teas, lavender etc ease my anxiety. I don't doubt it's hard work giving up but I know it can be done - I've known people go cold turkey overnight with it - including my dad - but I don't want people to be diagnosed with lung cancer or another serious disease before they're prompted to quit.
    I'm so sorry about your dad My dad hid it from us too, but I always knew he was sneaking. My mom did too, but she felt that if she just let him think he was getting away with sneaking that he wouldn't smoke as much, especially when she was around. It's so very hard to watch someone you love go through cancer. I, too, know how extremely hard it is to give it up, trust me, but I did it, and I'm no miracle of science either. I have addictive tendencies as well and can control them. Food was a big one for me, and now I'm a marathon runner / triathlete.
    I will add that I also went cold turkey. You just have to really want to quit. And I agree with you, I also don't want people to be diagnosed with cancer before they are prompted to quit. It's TOO LATE then...

I hate cigarettes. My grandma got lung cancer that was confirmed to be the work of cigarettes and she died from it not too long ago.

I'm a smoker too, and I can completely relate. It definitely exacerbates the nausea and panic symptoms brought out by this phobia, and one would think those reasons alone would be solid enough to quit. But i'm addicted to cigarettes too, and although it has a toxic effect on health, it also temporarily alleviates stress. It's like a contradicting form of self-medication for me. But anyways, it definitely makes panic and nausea worse for me too.
    My YouTube Channel:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Emet Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i love smoking....i will be honest and totally admit it. its my only vice and my only thing that really helps my ibs and anxiety. its so bad for you, we all know this. but it makes me feel better so often and i know its the only thing that has kept me from getting a stomach ulcer. takes away panic, nausea, the whole deal

Quote Originally Posted by mommyto3 View Post
    i love smoking....i will be honest and totally admit it. its my only vice and my only thing that really helps my ibs and anxiety. its so bad for you, we all know this. but it makes me feel better so often and i know its the only thing that has kept me from getting a stomach ulcer. takes away panic, nausea, the whole deal
    This is such a sad statement. All I can think of is my dad dying right now and CONSTANTLY telling everyone he wishes he never, ever picked up those cancer sticks in the first place. I'm sure you think it makes you feel better now. I don't know how old you are, but I'm SURE you will not think this once you get older and start having problems. I also wonder how people with children so selfishly smoke cigarettes KNOWING they are doing something that will shorten their lives and take them away from their own children AND possibly are poisoning their own kids with second-hand smoke. So very sad...

This is such a sad statement. All I can think of is my dad dying right now and CONSTANTLY telling everyone he wishes he never, ever picked up those cancer sticks in the first place. I'm sure you think it makes you feel better now. I don't know how old you are, but I'm SURE you will not think this once you get older and start having problems. I also wonder how people with children so selfishly smoke cigarettes KNOWING they are doing something that will shorten their lives and take them away from their own children AND possibly are poisoning their own kids with second-hand smoke. So very sad...
    I think this is a very ignorant statement to make. All smoking parents i know dont smoke around their children and as for being selfish for shortening lives you could say that about many things. An overweight parent may have a shorter life, a drinker, a police officer, a soldier... the list is really endless. Parents who smoke know its not good for them, as does anyone who smokes. Smokers may get cancer yes, but again they might get hit by a bus tomorrow, thats life.The op only started this thread questioning how smoking affects nausea, not to have people start preaching and patronising.

I tried to edit, but page keeps freezing.
    Im not trying to cause drama with my previous post, but this is a suport website. Many parents here already feel pretty bad if they cant look after their sick kids, to go throwing words like " selfish" around aint going to make them feel any better. We shouldnt be here to judge each other, we are all different people from different worlds with different ways of living life.

so, first, im sorry that your dad is dying, thats very sad, and id like to believe your judgement towards me comes from your hurt. i do not appreciate your judgement at all...FYI and i only say this to defend myself as i feel you have made my name bad by your untrue assumptions toward me. i only smoke outside, never in my car, never in my home, never around or even in front of my kids. i tried to answer this question to the best of my ability, and i would like an apology for judging me and speaking poorly of me because i do not want to be afraid of posting something in the future in fear of being disrespected.
    i am sorry about your dad, and with what you take from his life i hope you can do something positive with

Quote Originally Posted by randall3329 View Post
    I think this is a very ignorant statement to make. All smoking parents i know dont smoke around their children and as for being selfish for shortening lives you could say that about many things. An overweight parent may have a shorter life, a drinker, a police officer, a soldier... the list is really endless. Parents who smoke know its not good for them, as does anyone who smokes. Smokers may get cancer yes, but again they might get hit by a bus tomorrow, thats life.The op only started this thread questioning how smoking affects nausea, not to have people start preaching and patronising.
    I'm sorry, but you comparing getting hit by a bus or putting your life on the line for your country is the completely ignorant statement. To KNOWINGLY put a poison in your body KNOWING that it WILL eventually KILL you is perhaps the dumbest thing EVER. We are ALL entitled to our opinions. When you see someone dying right in front of you because they smoked all their life or you suffer with athsma because your dad blew smoke in your face your whole childhood, you surely would feel this way.
    BTW, I think I stated before that I used to smoke and I quit. I quit cold turkey. I know exactly how hard it is, so I'm not preaching something I don't know about. I just know watching my dad die has given me strong opinions, and I'm entitled to post how I feel just like you are, so don't tell me my statement was ignorant. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyto3 View Post
    so, first, im sorry that your dad is dying, thats very sad, and id like to believe your judgement towards me comes from your hurt. i do not appreciate your judgement at all...FYI and i only say this to defend myself as i feel you have made my name bad by your untrue assumptions toward me. i only smoke outside, never in my car, never in my home, never around or even in front of my kids. i tried to answer this question to the best of my ability, and i would like an apology for judging me and speaking poorly of me because i do not want to be afraid of posting something in the future in fear of being disrespected.
    i am sorry about your dad, and with what you take from his life i hope you can do something positive with
    I'm not "judging" you at all. I am stating an opinion, simple as that. I absolutely feel that it is VERY selfish to smoke as a parent. I will never apologize for feeling that way. Think of how much money cigarettes cost you and what you could buy for your children with that money. Just because you don't smoke around them doesn't mean you aren't affecting them. I remember my dad smelling SO bad of cigarettes all the time and our car stinking, etc. I feel strongly like I do, yes, because of my dad dying, but also because I KNOW it's possible to quit if you really want to. The OP said she hated the smell and wanted to quit because she knew how bad it was for her. I will never apologize for feeling the way I do about people actually trying to DEFEND something as horrible as cigarettes. Smoke away. What do you care what I have to say about it if you really don't feel bad about it and feel the need to defend it? I imagine the reason everyone gets so defensive about smoking is because they know it's bad, it's wrong and WISH they had the strength to quit.
    As long as people put topics up here that will potentially illicit conflicting opinions, there will be this kind of controversy. I won't sugar coat things. I try to be supportive, but sometimes this board is just a bunch of handholding and feeding of fears and addictions. Smoking kills, period. I don't care if you think I'm being mean at all. It's just a fact and this is how I feel.

I smoke- a lot... About a pack and a few a day. I've been smoking since i was about 14, and now I'm 31. I know that in the long term, smoking causes more anxiety (aside from the physical harm), and I'm sure I'd have fewer panic attacks if I didn't smoke. Even in the short term, I know it's not really relaxing me, as it's a stimulant. Yet, somehow, I still feel a lot calmer with a cigarette in my mouth. In some ways it's a bit of a safety blanket for me... I think, "If I'm not too nauseous to smoke, then I'm not going to be sick".

i expect an apology for how you were disrespectful in assuming i acted a certain way and putting me down for it. your derogatory statements and condescending tone are not appreciated at all. i think that you took this thread to a level that it doesnt need to go, and i feel that you dont quite understand the general premise of this entire site. do not judge me based on your dads actions of blowing smoke into your face, you just really seem like a judgmental person, and that is not conducive to this site. but remember the next time you are panicking, these same people that you are criticizing are the ones who dont judge you based on your phobias and sometimes irrational thoughts, we are here to SUPPORT YOU. i speak for myself when i say that i am sorry you feel the need to be so brutal with your words, but i will continue to be kind to everyone on this site, including you.

If it is the action of smoking that makes you feel better, maybe try electronic cigarettes that are just water vapors and don't contain any nicotine?
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I smoke too and I'm not proud about it at all, its horrible habit that you wish you could go back in time and stop. But I'm sorry this site isn't about putting someone down cause of a human mistake.. no one is perfect and they have there flaws and pointing out the obvious repercussions is rubbing there mistakes in there face isn't going to turn back time, or make them feel any better. I don't say this cause I'm a smoker I say this cause its the truth, we all know what happens when people smoke, and no matter what you do a person needs to quit on there own terms and not because of someone elses experience. Do not post an opinion if you haven't gone through it yourself and have a condesending opinion, we are adults and have a good idea what it can do to you. Anyways I cannot smoke when I have nausea, honestly I cannot even think about smoking when I feel nausea, when I had a kidney infection I went 3 days without smoking. I've cut down quite a bit and I'm hoping within the next year I finally quit cause I want to get married to my boyfriend and have kids soon.
    Last edited by pinogirl3321; 02-24-2012 at 09:42 PM.

I have never smoked cigarettes but I do know many if not most smokers find the act of smoking to really calm their nerves. It is a safe haven for them from whatever is stressing them. Other people have similar safe havens whether it be eating, meditating, or any number of other things. While I don't think smoking would do anyone any good to prevent nausea due to a stomach virus, it probably would help alleviate nausea due to stress as the act of smoking reduces stress. That being said, I would find another way to find this comfort other than smoking. It may take a while to find something that relaxes you that replaces smoking but there are many much more healthy alternatives out there and the time spent searching for your new escape will be well worth it. You mentioned you want to live a long happy life with your husband, that is very sweet. Barbiegirl brought up a good point, especially for an interim solution, try the electronic cigarettes. You should find this to bring about the same relaxing nature as smoking regular cigarettes and allow you to relax. Addiction to anything is not good, so its nice to see you want to avoid becoming addicted to medication, just be careful in what you use to prevent that from happening.
    Last edited by BeachBumGreg; 02-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.

When you post on a thread like this instead of judging them, give them suggestions and support instead of already telling them there impending future which they already know.. why smokers take the risk of there health is there business, your best bet into getting a smokers attention is support and understanding even if it isnt an experience you've been through. Lizzo you make a great point!

I don't smoke, never have. Briefly considered it after watching Carrie Bradshaw smoke on SATC but decided against it.

Doing yoga, drinking herbal tea, cuddling up and watching a movie helps me relax a lot better than smoking. I strongly urge smokers to reconsider their habit and try some healthy alternatives! <3
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I am a smoker, haven't been for long, but i do...Now, I smoke menthol, and I think that is what has the tendency to help. If I am truly n*, it doesn't help. However, if the weather is cold out, i will sit out in the very cold weather and for some reason, i get to the point of where i notice the cold, and it helps immensely!!

For those who think parents who smoke in front of their children are bound to have children who smoke, that isn't the case. My mother smoked around me my whole life. Never in the house, but in the car and whenever we were outside.

All 6 of my siblings and myself are repulsed by cigarettes. One of my brothers briefly tried it in high school, but he was just being a dumb kid.

Smoker parents do not equal smoker kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Mowilson View Post
    Smoker parents do not equal smoker kids!
    Very true. My parents smoked back WAY before I was born, and my mom had stopped by the time she got pregnant with me. My dad stopped a bit later, but i don't remember.

However, it has been proven that smoking around kids can cause asthma and breathing issues. I used to be around my grandmother and great-aunt while they smoked while i was a kid, and i found out that i have adult onset asthma. it sucks, but i deal with it!