Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Sister had stomach virus?

so on wednesday night at around 11:30 pm, my sister started throwing up. she threw up 4 timnes most of the night. ive been freaking out every since. i have not gone into the bathroom, and she has bleached everything in it. yesterday, i washed my hands every 30 minutes and my mom bleached the downstairs bathroom and the kitchen. i did not sit where she sat. before she threw up the most i did is sit with her at the kitchen table. yesterday also came and sat in the living room with us for awhile. i have been using my parents bathoom (and i wont even properly sit on the toilet, im so scared. and today ive been washing my hands. my sister says she think it might of been her sandwich she ate from subway (the lettuce and tomato and onions), but she ate it at around 1 pm. so for the sake of my mind, how long would it take me to catch it, if i did? and what else can i do to prevent catching it? also i would not touch any doorknobs or light switches.
    please help! it may not seem like it through my typing, but i am TERRIFIED. thank you x

Default Re: Sister had stomach virus?

I hear you. I just am on week two of a sibblings child being sick. Two weeks ago my nephew was sick for two days and I was freaking out because I was with him the day before he was sick. My 5 year old was playing with him and his toys. I was able to stay away from them for a week and then when I finally saw them, told them they had to come to my house where it was germ free, well hopefully. Now my other sister's child has it and I had to tell them that they couldn't come over tonight. Even though her daughter is back at school, I feel myself getting anxious just thinking that they might be still carrying the bug. I think when you have emet, you do everything in your power not to v*. I think our will power over that is amazing. It is so hard to live in this fear all the time. Especially this time of year with so many stomach bugs going around. I read on another thread earlier that someone says that you can only contract the bug through "spew or poo"! Thought that was probably pretty true. I mean, if you only sat a the table with your sister, I am sure you should be good. Hope that you stay clear of it!

i know exsactly what your going through, i have an eight year old sister, and she catches bugs so easily, and shes also a nervous vomiter, i wont go near her for at least a week, and i make my parents disinfect the entire house including doorknobs and its a horrible thing to go through, when my sister ill i usually sleep downstairs, with my ipod on full blast, my laptop, my phone and stuff, it makes it a little easier, im also an over obssesser with hand sanitiser, im religious about it, one of my friends thinks im o.c.d (im not) and one of my friends was like "doing your ritual again", things will get better, and i hope you feel better, i hope your sister feels better, but just know that your not alone, i wouldnt wish this feeling on my worst enemy, its ok to be scared, and if i was you just give yourself some time to breathe for a few days, and build yourself up to coming into full contact with your sister, its what i have to do, as much as it makes me feel bad, it helps. message me if you need to chat xxx

thanks for the replies but does anyone know how long until im safe from worrying if ill get it? its been almost 48 hours.

Incubation is 12-72 hours, so you are either in the clear or almost there.....try to do something else to not occupy your mind with this...psychologically you may trick yourself into feeling "symptoms" out of your fear. Also, if you have keept up with your hygiene, you should be ok...good luck!!

The waiting game is the worse!

Thanks for the help.. I'm still freaking out though. I'm hungry and my stomachs growling, but it keeps making noises in my lower stomach, and I'm scared I'm going to have diarrhea, then throw up I'm so scared.