Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation I have a stomach virus.

** This may be a bit long, I apologize!**

Hi everyone,

I'm new here as a member (although I've frequented the site for years without registering). This is my first post, and yep, it's a good one! Worst fear for all of us has become a reality for me -- I'm just barely clinging by my fingernails to get through the next 2-3 days. First, a little detail on this predicament:

Started yesterday in the afternoon. I woke up, cooked my boyfriend and I some food, then sent him off to work. I myself was feeling fine, however fatigued which I blamed on us staying up late (which we do often). I took a nap, woke up, and then it dawned on me: I wasn't feeling very well (it's now 3:30 PM). My stomach--which I've become such good friends with!--wasn't giving me the usual cry for attention I've become so familiar with. I literally felt blah! Was it food poisoning? I doubt it; freshly bought eggs and toast, nothing to raise a red flag and I always check expiration dates! I distracted myself the rest of the day (or tried to) with television and internet.

I knew something was wrong when I started getting abdominal cramping. I had to use the bathroom not once ... but 5x in the window of 2 hrs. It wasn't severe, or anything to cause panic but very out of the ordinary for me (I suffer with consistent constipation, and yesterday it was a relief but alarming to be going so much for no reason). Still felt unwell. Around midnight boyfriend got off work (he was feeling fine, only hungry), so I cooked us dinner. I was still feeling sick, and couldn't finish my glass of wine albeit I did clean my dinner plate. We retired to bed after. Around 5 AM I woke up very thirsty, still feeling unwell. I finished a glass of water and my stomach absolutely churned. Immediately my anxiety flared up so bad I could hardly breathe. I ran to the bathroom, kept the lights off, and calmed myself down. It took an hr before I could regain my dignity, however I didn't v* although I felt close to.

For a moment I convinced myself it was in my head, or something trivial that I was blowing way out of proportion, seeing as my boyfriend wasn't sick and flu's are contagious. This comfort gave me enough leeway to inch myself back into bed and try to sleep...

...until around 8 AM this morning boyfriend woke up with diarrhea. An hour and a half later, without WARNING me, he rolled on his side in bed and v* right there on the carpet. I was on my heels and locking the bathroom door behind me the moment I saw him blanch. Then I broke down crying, realizing that yes, this is a virus, and yes, it does induce v*, not just a little tiny bug of discomfort.

Here are my questions if anyone could give some insight:

-Why are my symptoms milder compared to boyfriends?

-Will this get worse? It's been over 24 hrs and all I've been experiencing so far is stomach upset, frequent bowel movements (no diarrhea), fatigue, feverish (although thermometer says otherwise), and of course anxiety.

-Can stomach flu symptoms vary from person to person?

Boyfriend is fine (even went into work), although tired, and he only got sick once. I can't tell whether we really are sharing the same virus and I'm just made out of steel, willpower, and an absurd amount of self-control. I'm hungry but refuse to eat, and have been barricading myself at a close friends house
    (friend insisted I come over... how unusual!) because home reminds me too much of the ailment. I'm worried tomorrow I'll get worse. My last stomach virus was when I was 15 (I'm 23 now), and my symptoms then were a lot more severe.

What's the deal?

Thanks for listening.

Default Re: I have a stomach virus.

You should check my thread from a couple of days ago, i too have/had a sv*.

People are very different, and the virus changes from person to person. It depends on the way your body reacts to it. My brother was throwing up for 24 hours, then completly better, and i had off and on d* for about a week.

Just try to relax, and stick to light foods.

Yes they hit everyone differently the last two times I got sick I had severe diarrhea no cramping or pain just d* . Everyone else was v*.

oh that would have been scary *-* having your boyfriend be sick like that so suddely. its lukcy its the other way round though and you getting sick first because if that happened before you felt any symptoms im sure you would of been a bigger wreck! but cudos for getting thorugh it so well with the symptoms you've been experienceing for a couple of days. i say the worste has passed for you, but everyones body does a different job at expelling the virus. your lucky yours dealt with it at the other end! but its been a while now and i think you should be getting better now. how did your boyfriend go after that episode? sounds like he just had that one bout and that was it. you did a good job at getting through it!
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Sorry to hear you are feeling ill. I would have been horrified had that happen to me and on the carpet yikes!!

Everybody gets different symptoms and like I've said many times before, I would rather poo til my butt falls off than v* once.

Stick to bland things like crackers for now. Keep yourself hydrated too. Feel better soon!

I agree with erica1649! I would rather poo sill my but falls off too! too funny. Hope you feel better soon It is really amazing how different viruses to effect people.

its different EVERYTIME hun, sometimes you get a little bit sick with it, sometimes you get very sick with it. Everytime is different, the first time I had a sv it was in gr 8 which was 3 years ago and I caught it from mom who was sick from both ends, I however the following night had a huge explosion of d* for an hour and was nauseous for a day or so. The next time I caught one (last year) I had d* over 100 times and V*ed twice, also ended up in the hospital because I was so dehydrated that I hadnt peed in 3 days and I had several near fainting episodes. They gave me looooooooooooots of fluids, looooots of gravol, I felt so much better, until the gravol wore off :/ this lasted 5 long terrible days. So everytime is different and everyone reacts differently every time.

It is like this everytime my wife and I go through a sv. I get d and n and she gets v and sometimes v and d

As everyone has posted dear, it affects everyone differently however, us Emets are veeeeeeery good at keeping our v* in and this could be as to why some people are s* and others are not. It sounds more like something you guys ate, seeing as the hubby was only s* once, but nevertheless Ihope ypu're feeling much better!!