Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Talking Please Read! (Good News)!

So i have a lot to talk about. I have done so much research and reading on this. I am very knowledgeable about OCD, Phobias, Anxiety, And Emetophobia . Now, i would like to NOTE that i am not a professional. Nor do i have any certificates or schooling. But i have had this for 5+ years. And have been to over 20+ Plus doctors, 34 different therapists, 3 specialized therapist in phobias. And i have learned alot. And i have done plenty of research. I am in the process of writing a book called My Life, My fears, My Change. Its all about my life and my fear of vomiting. Did you know that a survey was done about emetophobia? Did you know that emets are 85% less likely to actually vomit? And or get the "Flu" There was a study done at Boise State University. I will try and find the link and ill add it on here. Theres alot of new info on it!

Also I wanted to tell you guys somthing about ANTI-Emetics. I see alot of people say that these dont work. And people dont like taking them cause theyre bad for your body and you will get immune to them. I recently made an appointment with a professor at my local college, and he majors in pharmacological medicine. (I think thats what its called.) I asked him alot of questions about this. Now as alot of you think some anti emetics dont prevent nausea and vomiting. Which is true. But in fact there are some meds that actually prevent you from vomiting. He gave a detailed answer on why and how they work. He mentioned Phenergan, Zofran, And Motilium Tablets. He said with the way anxiety and medicine works. With these pills in your body its close to impossible to vomit. Phenergan is the one he recommended. Which oddly enough is the meds i have. I have been taking them for about a year or more. I take em as needed. And to this day i have never vomited when i had a pill in my body. A quick story, i had the stomach bug a couple months back. I took a phenergan, i didnt vomit for 7 hours after that. Which some people could argue im sure. But it worked. It prevented me from vomiting. He agreed.

Im so sorry this is so long but i wanted to share that info.
    Those meds do work, even when you have a virus. But the thing is, being a emet already gives you that chance of not vomiting. Its weird how are body works.

Thanks guys!
    Dylan

Default Re: Please Read! (Good News)!

Thank you for sharing. That is really interesting.

Good luck with the book!

I need some of those meds!!!

Yeah, i wish my doctor would prescribe me some.

Lol you need to go to a psychiatrist ( I think thats how you spell it) Most all of em i thought would get you some easy anti emetics. Or get OTC emtrol or benadryl

Just keep asking around. An emergency room doctor perscribed me the phenergan about a year ago, since then my family doctor, keeps letting me get refills

I don't think it's wise to seek out a psychiatrist if your only motive is to be prescribed anti emetics. Anti emetics are not the answer to this phobia as I'm sure you all know. Whether anti emetics prevent vomiting or not, we need to prevent the anxiety associated with vomiting. I'm not trying to preach or anything but I think so many members on here abuse anti emetics and it's quite sad.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    I don't think it's wise to seek out a psychiatrist if your only motive is to be prescribed anti emetics. Anti emetics are not the answer to this phobia as I'm sure you all know. Whether anti emetics prevent vomiting or not, we need to prevent the anxiety associated with vomiting. I'm not trying to preach or anything but I think so many members on here abuse anti emetics and it's quite sad.
    Well said!
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Great advice deadinside......routine use of ant emets usually just leads to things like chronic constipation and a feeling of dependence......finding a good mind distraction is a much safer way to go.....
    how i feel about emet

Sometimes when your going through a hard time. Anti emetics are the only choice you have. I dont think you should ever use anti emetics all your life. You should be able to use them as much as you want if your going through hard times where you dont know how to cope with it. Thats why some of these drugs are out here.

Very interesting, thank you for that info!!

Best of luck with your book.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanRichards View Post
    Sometimes when your going through a hard time. Anti emetics are the only choice you have. I dont think you should ever use anti emetics all your life. You should be able to use them as much as you want if your going through hard times where you dont know how to cope with it. Thats why some of these drugs are out here.
    I agree with that's why some drugs are out there, but anti-emetics are for people who can't stop vomiting. Personally I think if one was to seek out medication for emetophobia he or she should treat the root of the problem (usually anxiety) and not the symptom. I honestly think many emetophobic people (me included) could use a placebo for an anti-emetic and get the same relief 99% of the time.

I tend to think of everything in relation to the care of dogs, since I'm a groomer. Imagine your cute scruffy little dog is allergic to his new food, and getting big itchy red spots all over his body. You wouldn't buy him an anti itch product and just use that his whole life, you would treat the problem and switch his food!

You may find these links helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    I agree with that's why some drugs are out there, but anti-emetics are for people who can't stop vomiting. Personally I think if one was to seek out medication for emetophobia he or she should treat the root of the problem (usually anxiety) and not the symptom. I honestly think many emetophobic people (me included) could use a placebo for an anti-emetic and get the same relief 99% of the time.

I tend to think of everything in relation to the care of dogs, since I'm a groomer. Imagine your cute scruffy little dog is allergic to his new food, and getting big itchy red spots all over his body. You wouldn't buy him an anti itch product and just use that his whole life, you would treat the problem and switch his food!
    I agree with you. I'm sure 99% of the members here would benefit from a placebo drug. I understand that you feel anti emet drugs are sometimes necessary, but like asianeko said, they are moreso for people who have a legitimate medical problem that causes vomiting. In that case they take an anti emetic to suppress it.

I agree with all of you. I think placebos would work well too. I never said this was a good option. I just wanted to let people know that anti emetics do work. Alot of people were denying the fact they wouldnt prevent vomiting. But i think were all on the same page

I understand and thank you for letting us know! I like emetrol when I need it although the taste of it is pretty sweet so some people may not be able to stomach the taste. As for the hardcore anti emetic drugs, for me they have proved most effective when administered in the hospital via intravenous.

Ive never tried emetrol? Whats it out there for? Preventing vomiting? Or reducing nausea?

Dylan I noticed you said you had been to lots of therapists. Did you feel any of them helped you? I am sort of stuck at the moment as to what to do as I have seen many therapists and all of them have never heard of emetophobia and have been no help to me. I live in Australia and there doesn't seem to be much help here. I desperately want help but can't seem to get it.

klp, I'm from Australia as well, maybe I can help I've been to a lot of different kinds of therapies, I tried counselling, hypnotherapy, acupuncture one time after I'd told my physio that I had anxiety, and finally, CBT. I don't think that CBT relies a lot on the therapist being knowledgeable on emetophobia specifically, the therapy can be modified to be for emetophobia. I found CBT to be the most helpful. I learnt a lot about emet and about myself from CBT. Depending on your health insurance, you can claim some of the appointment cost back on medicare, I used to only pay what worked out to be about $20 per session, it was wonderful. You do have to find a therapist that is right for you though. I was lucky, I stumbled upon the therapist that was right for me the first time, she was amazing, but sometimes it takes a bit. There's plenty of help here, you just have to search Can I ask where in Australia you're from?
    Come visit my history blog:

Dylan, Emetrol is just a sweet syrup. It's not really a medication. It's supposed to supress nausea. I never got any relief from it when I tried it, but others say it works. My guess is that you could just eat a spoonful of sugar and get the same results..lol

How do you function on phenegran? It (like most antiemetics) make me sooooo drowsy.

Like kristina said, it's just a very sweet syrup. I think it works really well for me. It is generally used to suppress nausea. It's very affordable--like 4 dollars per bottle at your local drug store--so I prefer it, but others may not.

years ago you could purchase coke syrup for n......i got hooked on that. it's very sweet and you sip it on ice.....i know i had to sign at the pharmacy for it....not even sure they sell it anymore.....but i do know that coca cola helps me when i'm n......could all be in my head though
    how i feel about emet

Ill have to go check that out when i pick up my prozac at walgreens 2morro! Thanks alot. And phenergan doesnt really knock me out like it does some people. AND i take 50MG! Lol!

Agreed 100%

emetrol always makes me hungry ten minutes later so i know its anxiety.

I used to, In grade 9 I was nervous alot so I took one like everyday. Then last year after an sv I did for a long time after, id take two almost everyday. I went through bottles of gravol like they were vitamins

Also about some anti emetics not working your right , when I had a terrible sv I woke up in the middle of the night (being over 5 yrs without v*ing) feeling sick so I went downstairs tried to fight it off realizing I kept feeling worse and worse and minutes went on, so I took gravol, and about 5 minutes later, I was v*ing, happened again the following night too.