Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I want to run away

I could really use some help right now from people who understand.

I've been emetophobic since I was 9. I'm now 29. I have a husband and a daughter who will be 2 in the spring. I didn't have much morning sickness, and I didn't v* during labor, so really my fears have been concentrated around her getting sick.

Friday night she got her first sv*. My husband cared for her while I panicked downstairs. I listened to the Clough overcoming emetophobia track that night, and I think I was actually a little better the next day -- I was able to nurse her even though I knew she was possibly still contagious, and when she v*d in the car that day, I didn't have a panic attack!

But then my husband got sick with it this evening and I completely lost it. I was literally ready to run away and leave my husband and precious child forever. I don't know what to do anymore. It's making me wish I'd never had a child, and that is so sad because she is so important to me.

I also would love some opinions...a week or so ago, I woke up in the night with d* and chills and was convinced I would be sick, but I didn't. It didn't last long and then I went to bed and was fine the next day. Any chance that's what my daughter caught 2 days ago and what my husband had today? Because if so, maybe I don't have to worry as much about catching it.

Thanks in advance for any support you can offer. I'm getting desperate

Default Re: I want to run away

Don't let your fear take away from they people you love. This fear is not worth it. You can win the battle with this fear! You can do it! What you had may have been a possible stomach virus. So, if you had it then you won't get that same virus again. I think you will be fine Hang in there! You can do this!
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So how did everything turn out? I feel the same way sometimes. I have three children and when they get sick I feel like I'm living in a nightmare and I just want to get away from them. But that feeling goes away and there is nothing in the world that could separate me from my kids, especially a little throw up !

I ended up getting it, just with d* and n* and no v*. At one point I actually just wanted to v* if it would make me feel better, which is a very un-emetophobic thing to do! I need to figure out what I'm actually scared of here.

Hope you all feel better. WOW it hit you all pretty fast, i hate that. I also want to run away when people are sick in my home.

Yeah, my daughter got it Friday night, then my husband Sunday night, then me by early Monday morning. At least there wasn't too much time to agonize over it!

But thank you for all the support and well wishes. We are all back to normal now

I know the wanting to run away feeling. When my husband gets sick, i feel so much sympathy for him, but am too afraid to get too close or try to comfort him. Once, he got sick because he decided to do a food challenge at a local restaurant and ate incredible amounts of hot peppers, and i was so angry at him because it could've been avoided. That was the one time in 7 years of marriage that I yelled at him! I barricaded myself with our 3 year old daughter in her room to play and try to drown out the noise. I still get mad when I think about it, because it caused me such terror and didn't have to happen in the first place. Glad everyone is better now!

I would be SO angry if DH did that, karasmom. On the rare occasions he goes out drinking with friends, I tell him just not to come home if he's drunk because I don't want to worry about him getting sick.

I know the feeling. I don't have kids, just a husband and when I'm in a bad anxious place, I think to myself how easy/comforting it would be just to be isolated and alone. Then I wouldn't have to worry about human contact, because human contact means possible contamination. But the logical and slightly more mentally healthy part of me says, no... that's an unhealthy thought and will not lead to a healthy life.
    But you made it! And you seem so calm and matter of fact about the whole thing! Awesome for you!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I run EVERYTIME my husband get sick...he's pretty used to it by now....we've been together 7 years now (married only 7 months) so he's pretty used to me nursing him back to health via text.

My husband was sick several years ago and I sat on my bed (he was in the spare bedroom) and I shook uncontrollably, I sat and stared for hours, I could not function, it was like I was paralyzed. This phobia sucks.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

2jo2,

Sounds like me...I would just lay there and stare at the ceiling into the darkness, or just turn the tv on and try and focus on something else, but any stir or movement (we don't have a spare room) I would get so nervous!