Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Sage~

In February I began the EMDR process. I was amazed that what I thought was my most traumatic memory branched off into several other memories (that I did not necessarily think of as traumatic). Anyway, last night, my therapist believes that we finally got to the root. He said he knew this because of my physical response. He said that my pupils dilated in and out several times, and I was actually jumpy when I was in a "scared" place in the memory. I am having problems finding any research/evidence that concludes that this is the place we needed to find. In fact, I have not found any information suggesting that the pupils dilating has anything to do with EMDR at all. What are your thoughts on this? Can you suggest a good place for me to find well-documented research on EMDR (I've already gone through a lot on the Web)?

Thank you so much! You are a true asset to this community!

Mara
    I\'m not completely insane; I\'m just a little bit crazy.

Mara,

You've got me stumped with this one, too. I don't recall reading anything about pupils dialating... but the great thing is, you're still seeing your therapist, right? So you can ask HIM what he meant by that...and tell him you've looked on the internet, and asked me, etc. Ask him where you can go for more information, or at the very least make him tell you exactly what he meant by that comment.

It is true that peoples' pupils dialate when they're very frightened. So that could be all he means by it - obviously you were very frightened.

The main thing is, do YOU think you've gotten to the bottom of it? After all, it's your phobia, and you know yourself better than anyone!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage~

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I am seeing my therapist on Saturday. When this happened (the dilation) he said that this was the response that he was looking because it was the acknowledgment of my fight or flight response being envoked. I have never heard of anything like it, but he seemed very please that it happened.

Do I think this is a break through? Absolutely. I'm going to explain a little. The memory that I had seemed very inconsequential. It was something that I remembered, but I didnot think was traumatic (I choked as a small child, was confused, not scared, but my mother whacked me on the back, and I stopped choking and felt relief), but according to my therapist, he said that my problem lies in that the pain of my mother hitting me (of course, not malisciously, she was trying to save my life) equaled relief for me.

It's very interesting because I had it in my head that EMDR would "cure" me. I guess I could say that it has because this therapy (EMDR) helped me to find the piece of pie that has been missing through out therapy. This was the piece that never made sense.

Its very exciting to start changing as a result of this discovery. I am now ready to discover my "success" self and leave my "failure" self behind.

I appreciate your info and I will let you know what my therapist says!

Mara
    I\'m not completely insane; I\'m just a little bit crazy.

Default Re: EMDR Question for Sage

Hi Mara, I have been lookingfor info on effectiveness of emdr and wanted to hear from people with E. Whatever info you can share going forward about this process and your experience I would really appreciate hearing, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by emms View Post
    Sage~

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I am seeing my therapist on Saturday. When this happened (the dilation) he said that this was the response that he was looking because it was the acknowledgment of my fight or flight response being envoked. I have never heard of anything like it, but he seemed very please that it happened.

Do I think this is a break through? Absolutely. I'm going to explain a little. The memory that I had seemed very inconsequential. It was something that I remembered, but I didnot think was traumatic (I choked as a small child, was confused, not scared, but my mother whacked me on the back, and I stopped choking and felt relief), but according to my therapist, he said that my problem lies in that the pain of my mother hitting me (of course, not malisciously, she was trying to save my life) equaled relief for me.

It's very interesting because I had it in my head that EMDR would "cure" me. I guess I could say that it has because this therapy (EMDR) helped me to find the piece of pie that has been missing through out therapy. This was the piece that never made sense.

Its very exciting to start changing as a result of this discovery. I am now ready to discover my "success" self and leave my "failure" self behind.

I appreciate your info and I will let you know what my therapist says!

Mara