Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emetophobic - and want to go to Med School

Hello everyone,
    I am seventeen years old and have been emetophobic since I was 11. My older sister struggled with bulimia, and I used to be able to hear her forcing herself to throw up from my room. It terrified me. I would go into my closet and shake and plug my ears. Now I am afraid of seeing people throw up. I screamed at a boy who threw up once and then walked back into class.

I cry and my heart races whenever I think someone is going to throw up. Practically every other night I have nightmares about people throwing up. I really, really want to be an obstetrician when I get older, but I don't know how to be a Doctor without facing people throwing up. I really don't want this phobia to control my life. I know that it probably stems from trauma with my older sister, but I've told my therapist and she does not seem to take it seriously...

Please Help!

Default Re: Emetophobic - and want to go to Med School

Yeah I know EXACTLY what your going though, I want to be a nurse soooo bad! but im afraid at the same time because ill have to deal with V* and svs ALOT when being a nurse Im working with something in the medical field, I know for sure, I kinda also want to be a neurologist but I have no where near the grades I need for it. Im 16 btw

This fear is possible to overcome, there are a lot of recovered emets out there if you want to pursue med school.

If you seriously want to be a doctor, you need to be realistic with yourself. Getting into Medical school is very competitive and a gruelling process. Your grades need to be extremely high, and have an academic background primarily in anatomy, physiology, biology, biochemistry, and math. Not to mention a high MCAT score. If you do manage to get in, you will be expected to attend classes or rotations in the morning, then study all night. To be a licensed M.D, it takes about 8-10 years. You can't take a sick day if you're feeling tired, overwhelmed or anxious.

You will be expected to be able to discuss, study, and occasionally see vomit in person without flinching. This is not just through medical school, but throughout your entire career. You could always specialize in dermatology or radiology, but this is after you've completed residency training and have chosen a specialty.
    But during your rotations, you'll see alot of vomit especially in the ER and med surg.

Med school really isn't for the faint of heart. I thought I wanted to be a nurse, and was enrolled in the BScN program but withdrew in the first week because I knew deep down that I wouldn't be able to be there 100% for my patients if they vomited.

If you want to be in healthcare there other possible vomit free careers you could pursue such as psychology, social work, or physiotherapy. I have an emet friend who is very knowledgable about the medical field and she is a nutritionist.
    Last edited by lizzo; 01-30-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I mean I want to work with the human body though, whether its being a nurse, working in a lab, neuro, anything really.

Myself id seek treatment before going to med school. Not the best place to work with this fear.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyemetophobic View Post
    I mean I want to work with the human body though, whether its being a nurse, working in a lab, neuro, anything really.
    That's all fine and dandy, but working as a nurse you are on the front line of care. Meaning, you clean up incontinent patients, you closely monitor bowel movements, you insert catheters, you hold save-a-days for vomiting patients, you take blood pressure, insert iv's (if you're an RN). There's lots of intimate care involved, and lot's of potential situations to get "grossed out", nursing is not for the faint of heart or squeamish. You're probably exposed to more bodily fluids than doctors are.

Anything in the neurological field (i'm assuming you mean neurosurgery), you will be exposed to live brain tissue. Neurology is a speciality after you've completed your residency as an MD. A pulsating, bloody organ is not for the squeamish either. You need to be able to completely desensitize yourself to any kind of bodily fluid that you find disgusting.

It's good that you have such high career aspirations, but nursing, scientific lab work, and neurology are all very separate fields. You need to have a strong head on your shoulders. In any kind of medical field, you are responsible for someones life. You could severely compromise a patients life if they begin vomiting and you freak out.
    Last edited by lizzo; 01-31-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a friend who is emetophobic and is a pediatrician. I'm honestly not sure how she handles it, but I'll ask her!

Thank you all for your responses-

Honestly, the least thing on my mind is the work. I do not have crippling anxiety. I can handle the work.

My problem is just seeing someone throw up. I'm not afraid of getting sick myself. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has coping strategies? Obviously, there isn't really a cure. My father (who is pushing me to study pre-med) thinks that it is a phase that I will grow out of...sigh. I wish I could ask him when he is going to grow out of his anxiety phase!

Thanks!!

Id like to tell you that you can do it, but from experience, i could not :-(
    I was doing okay until a client of mine V* and i just broke down! i couldn't do it. if you can honestly tell yourself that you can deal with it and then do so. you are stronger then me!

im not saying you can't do it, but i know i couldn't and can't....
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by beautyandthefish View Post

My problem is just seeing someone throw up. I'm not afraid of getting sick myself. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has coping strategies? Obviously, there isn't really a cure. My father (who is pushing me to study pre-med) thinks that it is a phase that I will grow out of...sigh. I wish I could ask him when he is going to grow out of his anxiety phase!

Thanks!!
    You will see lots of v* if you study medicine, even if you later go on to specialize in a low v* field. Med school, clerkship rotations, residency (especially OB-GYN) will all expose you to v* quite possibly on a daily basis. You might want to consider an ND degree, which is lower risk however you will still likely deal with v* on occasion. If practicing medicine is something you are passionate about, absolutely go for it but be very much aware of what you will be getting yourself into emet-wise.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzo View Post
    Anything in the neurological field (i'm assuming you mean neurosurgery), you will be exposed to live brain tissue.
    Live exposed brain tissue of an awake patient screwed into a halo no less. Neuro is about as intense as it gets.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiegirl View Post
    Live exposed brain tissue of an awake patient screwed into a halo no less. Neuro is about as intense as it gets.
    Lol, exactly. Neuro isn't like some kind of consolation prize, neither is nursing (imo). You need to have a good, strong head on your shoulders if you want to practice medicine.