Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default sick after hysterectomy

I posted this question last week, but it hasn`t appeared on the site, so I`ll try posting it again. This has been bothering me for some years, I had a hyserectomy in the 1980`s, & despite having had several gynea procedures under anaesthetic before without any n or v, I vted the say after, but managed to swallow it back down again, as I couldn`t bear the humilliation of the other patients seeing me do "it" in front of them. I also had hiccups. I`m wondering if something went wrong with me after the operation, & I can expect to v again if I have aother operation in the future, or is this a normal after effect of hysterectomies?

Default Re: sick after hysterectomy

My mom had a hysterectomy like 13 years ago and I don't ever remember seeing her get sick. I was little back then and I was nervous for her, so I left school early to see her in the hospital. I remember her laughing cause I was so nervous for her that I had to leave school. Maybe call your doctor or the nurses at your hospital, tell them what's going on, and ask them if that's normal in some patients.

It could have been the anaesthetic still in your system that made you sick. When i had surgery years ago i felt great when i first woke up from the op and all that evening, the next morning i felt very, very sick, the doc said that the iv anti emetic had worn off but anaesthetic was still in my system making me feel ill, nurse gave me a jab and within an hour i felt great.

any surgery can make you sick.

I know that any surgery or aneasthetic can cause vting, but I`d never reacted that way before, which is why I`m so worried about this, I mean, does it show that I`d suddenly developed an intolerance to the drug that I`d been given, or was it just a one off?

My aunt was pretty ill after her hysterectomy, don't mean to frighten you. It's not exactly from the procedure, for her at least it was the anesthetics. Every time she's medicated for procedures she's always ill, I don't understand why she doesn't ask for anti-emetics, she's emetophobic as well! My doctor was aware of my phobia when I had my colonoscopy/endoscopy so gave me anesthetics and some Gravol, I felt groovy when I woke up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I`m wondering if the drainage tube I had in me was partly responsible for my sumptoms, because I felt so much better as soon as it was removed.

For anyone facing surgery....I always tell them at my pre-op appointment with the doctor that I'm an emet and that anesthesia tends to make me very ill, and they will start the anti-emetics even before the surgery and will keep them coming as long as needed. The trick is making sure it's on your chart BEFORE you get ill, that way they don't have to wait on your doctor to okay the anti-emetics.

I had a hysterectomy in 2009 and a follow up surgery in 2010 and I didn't get sick or even really feel bad with either one.