Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hand sanitizer info.?

I am new here. I am so glad I found this site. Maybe someone here can help me. First of all, I am in a major panic because I just found out that hand sanitizer DOES NOT kill stomach virus! I have had emetophobia my whole life, I have severe OCD and this being flu season, I am just freaking out. Please can someone tell me which hand sanitizers kill this virus?? I cannot leave my house until I know this, and I really need to go run errands. Please??!! I am at about a 10 on the panic scale, I just need some answers and support. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Hand sanitizer info.?

What country are you in? If you tell us then people can recommend particular brand names, but what you need is a hand sanitiser that contains the ingredients Benzalkonium Chlorisde or Benzethonium Chloride in, I don't know about elsewhere but in the UK this tends to be more in the foam type sanitisers rather than the gels.

You can't beat washing your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds tbh but the sanitisers are great as an extra back up when out and about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am in the USA. I have some foaming hand sanitizer (Purell brand). I am thinking about just taking a bottle of rubbing alcohol and using that until I can get to a sink for soap and water. I can't go to any public restrooms - they terrify me - so soap and water isn't possible until I get home. I was just wondering if anybody else has used rubbing alcohol for this, does it work, and what will it do to the skin on your hands? To be honest, I'd rather have no skin at all on my hands than take any chances on getting the S.V.!

I just bought some stuff on the internet called Germstar Noro. Claims it's specially formulated for noro. It's got more alcohol than purell type sanitizers. It smells horrible, like you're rinsing your hands with whiskey or something, and it was super expensive - shipping was as much as the 6 little spray bottles, but they don't sell it anywhere for the public so I ordered it. Gives me peace of mind... I also use wet ones. I've heard the jury's still out on how effective those are.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol on your hands - it will only dry them out and when they get cracked and sore they actually harbour more viruses than nice smooth skin!

The Germstar Noro siounds good, even if pricey but i know there are sanitisers on sale in the shops in the US that actually contain the benzy chloride stuff but i just don't know the brand names unfortunately, i'm sure there must be someone on here that has found one they can recommend though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I got Germstar Noro as well. It's 63% alcohol. Killing my hands and cost me a small fortune to get it in the UK but it does give me some peace of mind. Would prefer the Benzalkonium but was struggling to find it except from in a tiny little tube that only lasted me about a day!

Ok, thanks you guys. I am using the Wet Ones for right now and I am going to order the Germstar stuff online. I am just so miserable, and with the constant hand washing, I have got to find a sanitizer that will work. I don't even really care so much about cost or what it does to my skin, the satisfaction and peace of mind of just having something that will work is worth it all! It's just about drove me insane since I found out that regular hand sanitizer doesn't kill noro. I mean, why not say that up front on the bottle, considering that's the main reason most of us even buy the stuff??!! Sorry, I am just freaking out here....

Quote Originally Posted by kam00096 View Post
    I got Germstar Noro as well. It's 63% alcohol. Killing my hands and cost me a small fortune to get it in the UK but it does give me some peace of mind. Would prefer the Benzalkonium but was struggling to find it except from in a tiny little tube that only lasted me about a day!
    There are a couple of the foam type ones that have it in, the best value one I have found is from Boots and it is their own make Anti-Viral Hand Foam, it;s in 2 sizes and it's not a great deal more for a massive pump of it which is ok for me as i've got an everything but th ekitchen sink type handbag lol but there is a normal handbag sized one too http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1051#container and http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...1051#container they keep moving it round the shop but the last time i got some i think it was near the chemists counter with the plasters and stuff??

Quote Originally Posted by lilmissashley View Post
    Ok, thanks you guys. I am using the Wet Ones for right now and I am going to order the Germstar stuff online. I am just so miserable, and with the constant hand washing, I have got to find a sanitizer that will work. I don't even really care so much about cost or what it does to my skin, the satisfaction and peace of mind of just having something that will work is worth it all! It's just about drove me insane since I found out that regular hand sanitizer doesn't kill noro. I mean, why not say that up front on the bottle, considering that's the main reason most of us even buy the stuff??!! Sorry, I am just freaking out here....
    I agree that i think even non emets who are the types to buy hand sanitisers are wanting one to prevent tummy bugs so i think it would be a good marketing ploy to advertise it on the bottle! Glad you have got something on order though

I already feel a little better just knowing my sanitizer has been ordered and is on it's way. Anything that I can do to make myself less panicky - I will gladly do!
    I am so glad I found this site. I have struggled with emetophobia all my life. I can remember when I was 5, and a kid in my kindergarten class vomited beside me, and I literally ran out of the school building! It's been a constant struggle for me. Just knowing that there are others out there that feel the way I do makes me feel less alone with my fear. Thanks so much for the replies to this thread, I truely appreciate it.

I know that GermX brand foam hand sanitizer has the benzo stuff in it. I get it at walmart but the bottle size isn't very convenient to carry around.

I did order the germstar noro last year and they sent me the citrus one by mistake. Does it work on noro too? It smelled really good and the spray was convenient for the kids.

Been trying to find out whether or not the citrus kind is effective, not sure yet. It's kinda like the info. available for the Wet Ones wipes, some sources say it does, some say it don't. I am hoping my germstar noro arrives in the mail in the next day or so! How long does it usually take to arrive - via US mail? Anybody know?

Hopefully not long because I ordered some today!
    Everyone needs someone who understands!

Wet wipes, there is a brand that babies r us carries that has benzo in it also and gold bond hand sanitizer does also

Paulinek: Thanks for the advice about the Boots hand foam (I'd been looking in the wrong place for it!). It's so much nicer to my hands than the high alcohol content one (which was just about making me cry using it!) Good advice

i learned on this site about the goldbond sanitizer being the only one that is sold in stores that actually kills noro. look for this in the lotion section at walgreens and walmart.

OKAY now I'm freaking out! All I ever use is the Purell, & Germ X with the alcohol. i have found a clorox one too and it has a higher alcohol contenet than the previous ones. Also i use the Bath and Body Works sanitizers. they have 68% alcohol and smell SOOOO good! Now, You guys have informed me that the alcohol just isn't doing it.(NOT mad, just panicked) My online research says alcohol doesn't kill it! They even had that in the article about that cruise ship today that has to be shut down until Saturday for deep cleansing because the virus is every where on the ship! I was just in the store last night and went to go check out and someone had v* all over the floor in the check out line. I checked out at the other end of the store! When I got to my car I used my purell to wash my hands AND face! Now I'm worried it won't work... While at the store, I saw the new Germ x foam and it was listed as microbial and had NO alcohol in it... I thought that was a bad thing so I didn't buy any! I will get some of that and check out the germstar site! WORRIED WORRIED WORRIED!...

Germstar® Noro is scientifically formulated to kill Noro virus. It has a 63% Ethyl alcohol base as its active ingredient, special emollients which maximize its Noro virus killing power, and leaves a fresh, mint scent.

THIS was COPIED from the Germstar site... It has the same base as purell and germx ? Can someone please clarify the difference???

Oh wow - I went and looked at the Germstar site you all recommend. It is $18 to ship to me. Sheesh! lol

I am another sort-of hand sanitizer addict and was shocked to learn that my normal sanitizers (Purell, Bath & Body Works) did not kill noro (which obviously I am most scared of). I happened to find in my purse a bottle of CVS brand instant foaming sanitizer I bought one day when i was at a friend's and didn't have my purse and the ingredient was Benzalkonium Chloride. So depending on where you live, try your local CVS. It's where the travel sized items are. It took me going to 4 different CVS stores before I found more and I bought 6 bottles plus 3 travel packages of Wet Ones.

I should be safe with that, right?

I actually wash my hands and THEN use the sanitizer in case I picked up something on the faucet handles.

i shop alot on well.ca (it has free shipping for anyone in canada too!) and they have benzalkonium chloride wipes! 100 for 3.99. Im totally ordering them. they are perfect for your car or the shopping carts and stuff.
    I really like that i can use my online banking to pay for my purchase too, i dont have to use a credit card.

(and anyone else who likes to shop there, you can get $10 off your first purchase using the coupon code WINNING)

don't want to panic anyone, but my germstar noro took THREE WEEKS to be delivered.... I hope others have a more positive experience from that company. it came UPS from California. I called them a week after my order was placed because I hadn't gotten a confirmation of my order. They couldn't find my order, then called back a week later and they said it had just shipped, then took a week to get to me! definitely don't know what the $18 shipping charge was for... not speedy-ness!!
    I also don't think the citrus germstar is the same as germstar noro version.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

i didnt realise that alcohol killed noro. i only thought it was anti bacterial and that alcohol wasnt anit-viral. but anyway, can i ask you guys.. for how long have you been using those hand sanitisers and how often did you get sick? (non anxiety related). i realised ages ago that i used that sanitiser for years!! i touched all kinds of things went out and still ate after using it and never got sick! so if your out and thats all thats in your handbag..then its perfectly safe!! obviously after you go to the toilet you can wash your hands with soap in the bathroom..but i still believe the normal hand sanitiser is fine!! if virus's existed as much as you think they do out in the street..then everybody would be getting sick a lot more often! and most of them dont even use sanitiser when they're out. In saying that, i do understand where your coming from. i would rather be safe than sorry as well. But sometimes i also forget that i have an immune system and very strong stomach acid!! I dont know of any..anti viral hand sanitisers in autralia, but i just dont put my fingers in my mouth or eat with my hands while im out until i can wash them.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

To be honest I never use sanitizers in place of handwashing. If my hands just feel a little gross I will occasionally, but before I eat or prepare food, I simply and always just wash my hands really well. Washing your hands for 20+ seconds will scrub bacteria, viruses, other particles off of your hands and down the drain. Alcohol, as far as I know (I am not a doctor or scientist), is effective against bacteria NOT viruses. They are both very different. The most effective thing to kill any viruses is a bleach/water solution which is obviously meant for surfaces not skin.

Over-using sanitizers have the possibility of weakening your immune system and can cause more resistent germs and illnesses. Just remember when you kill the bad germs, you are killing the good ones as well.

Old fashioned handwashing is your best bet!

Quote Originally Posted by idontfeelreal View Post
    To be honest I never use sanitizers in place of handwashing. If my hands just feel a little gross I will occasionally, but before I eat or prepare food, I simply and always just wash my hands really well. Washing your hands for 20+ seconds will scrub bacteria, viruses, other particles off of your hands and down the drain. Alcohol, as far as I know (I am not a doctor or scientist), is effective against bacteria NOT viruses. They are both very different. The most effective thing to kill any viruses is a bleach/water solution which is obviously meant for surfaces not skin.

Over-using sanitizers have the possibility of weakening your immune system and can cause more resistent germs and illnesses. Just remember when you kill the bad germs, you are killing the good ones as well.

Old fashioned handwashing is your best bet!
    I agree about the handwashing, i don't use sanitiser at home only when i am out and eating as an addition to handwashing and its going to be impossible not to touch other surfaces between the bathroom and touching my food ie tucking my chair in, touching condiments etc or if i am going to eat from a drive-thru takeaway.

I think alcohol doesk kill certain viruses like influenza and the common cold but the noroviruses have a different composition to most other viruses hence why it doesn't work, i can't remember exactly what it is but it is something to do with the 'shell' ariound the outside of it not breaking down in the same way when in contact with alcohol? something like that anyway.

alcohol does NOT kill noro. If anyone can find PROOF anywhere, PLEASE post it here!

like i was saying before...alcohol hand sanitiser that kills noro?? it doesnt exist
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Here is a paragraph from the CDC website about Norovirus:

"The most important means of preventing norovirus transmission and infection is exercising frequent and appropriate hand washing. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers (≥62% ethanol) may be helpful as an adjunct method of hand hygiene, but should not replace washing with soap and water"

I found a new Purcel hand sanz that is 70%...Hmmm..any thoughts?

whatever the percent alcohol, it will not kill norovirus. nothing beats soap and water. if your out and about though..i still think whatever hand sanitiser is fine. even head to a bathroom before you eat or whatever and wash your hands..then use it, like the website states

A warning about 63% alcohol content hand sprays. I got the germstar one that claims to kill noro and after a couple of weeks using it my hands are wrecked. I've got massive bleeding cracks and ended up having to go to the doc this morning to get a steroid cream for them. Back to good old soap and water or me!

This is just how I feel about hand washing and hand sanitizers.. I feel when I was my hands when I'm out I just contaminate myself even more by touching the faucets. I try my best not to touch anything in the bathrooms and as soon as I get out I put my hand sanitizer on and if feel more safe but not so much now knowing the sanitizer doesn't work so I just ordered germstar it cost me 56 bucks but if it works then I don't care. Noro just recently took it rounds in my house with my sister and her kid and boyfriend, and I used my hand sanitizer the moment I found out which was after it made it rounds and everyone was ok and its been almost 2 weeks and I'm fine even though they use a different bathroom and I'm barely ever downstairs where they are.