Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi my name is Mia and I have been an emet for longer than I can remember.

Anyhow I am really worried right now and would really appreciate some advice. On Wednesday it was my husbands day off from work, he works in food service. He got a phone call saying that someone at work was throwing up and needed to go home could he cover. Luckily he couldnt so didnt go in. But of course that phone call set me off into a panic which hasnt gone away since. I really need to know, because he wasnt in contact with the guy and although he went to work yesterday he again didnt see him and wont today, will he catch it? He is always washing his hands at work I know because he knows how I worry but I am so scared either way. Maybe one of the others who work there were in contact and they will pass it into to him? Wish I knew about the ways you catch SV its so contradictary wherever I look.

HELP!!!!!

Hi and Welcome....I don't think you or your husband have anything to worry about catching whatever that person......it may not even be a sv....it could be anything...so try not to worry...men are stronger than women and have better immune systems anyway...so it's very unlikely that your husband or boyfriend...will catch it and give it to you...try not to worry about too much....hope you find comfort here on the site...it's wonderful...Kat

I really hope so, I have been in panic mode since Wednesday and just waiting for the days to go by until I think we're safe. I hate this sooooo much and these message boards have been my saving grace since i found them. Is anyone else as stupid as me in that even if my kids who live three thousand miles away have an SV I go into a panic? How dumb is that!!!!

Hi Mia, Mabey the guy was'nt even sick at all and just used that as an excuse to leave early-knowing that in food service, you are not allowed to work while ill.Try not to worry, I'm sure your hubby already uses proper handwashing so he'll have nothing to worry about.

No Mia, you ARE NOT dumb! I am the same way, in fact most of us here are-it's the compulsiveness of this phobia. My kids(8 and 5) just had the sv 1 and 2 weeks ago and I'm still a wreck!

Thank you so much, here's another one, I saw the Green Day video post here at the same time the video came on the TV and I thought oh my God it's an omen and I made sure I didnt watch it just in case I jinxed myself.

Also although it's food service they still work when they're ill there which is very bad but they do, so it's still a worry. How long do you think I will have to wait until we're sure we're safe?

Sorry I even gave up smoking two months ago and started again Wednesday I couldnt stand it any longer. Very stupid I know but I have no other way of relief. And I have my going to bed fear once more, I absolutely hate the nights, I used to sleep on the couch for years and it's only in the past five years I have actually used a bedroom I'm that bad.

Thanks again for listening

I Struggle at night too. I have really been needing to take a xanax but I still don't feel like it's safe to yet(because if I take it and feel nauseous within 8 hrs, I can't take a compazine)with my daughters' sv* possibley still in the house. From what I've heard and read+ mabey we can get some feedback about this, someone with an sv* is contagious from exactly when they start feeling ill untill at least 3 days later. There stool, however, can still shed the virus up to 2 weeks later(so be wary of toilets).A personwould possiblyget sick 12-72 hours after contact with the virus.I don't think you need to worry though since your hubby has'nt been in close contact with him.

My worry is that others he works with were in contact with him, what if they have caught it or are carrying it, I'm on 48 hours now so here's hoping all is well. What a nightmare every time I think its safe someone has to mention it and I'm all over the place with worry again. Can someone tell me is summer a safer season than winter? I never know if it's worse in summer or winter for SV's.

I know what you mean, I always start to worry around Halloween , but the Holidays are a busy time and that keeps my mind off of things. Once the Superbowl hits, I get so anxious worrying about all the germs and sv*s. Spring time used to be the time that I felt I could "come alive again" But the past few years my kids have gotten these sv*s March, April and July, so I sometimes feel so much dispare thinking there IS no "safe time". I try to teach them about handwashing and not putting their hands on their faces and stuff but they still catch them. Ihope telling you is'ntmakeing you feel worse. I used to think Knowledge is Power but now I'm not so sure. All you can do is hope that the co-workers are using good hygeine and will call out sick just in case. I am from the Boston area and there has been a lot here.

I know what you mean really I just hoped to see the words yeah its worse in winter being as that is nearly over, but of course I know better, considering two years ago we were suffering in July. Luckily my children are all grown up and actually live in England where i come from and I live in Maine so kinda near Boston. Hygiene is a big problem I think where my husband works to tell the truth, but he is very good at keeping away as much as possible and is always washing his hands. I am just hoping and praying that this one will pass us by. The Holidays were my biggest nightmare when the kids were young, I used to dread that time always in fear of them catching something for Christmas Day, such a stressful time at the best of times and that always made it ten times worse. Now we dont even celebrate Christmas or make any future plans if possible because of my fears.

I know what you mean I never plan anything in the winter. I do think winter is worse. Actually, I've heard that is is a fact because people are all huddled in doors together spreading germs. The good news for you is that with grown children, you are'nt at risk so much because kids seem to spread sv*s like fire. My parents(I'm 33) never get sv*, in fact I don't even remember them getting them when I was younger.

Also, what part of England, my best freind just moved back to Bristol. And I was up in Maine a few weeks ago. But before my kids were sick-don't worry[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img].

I come from London orgiinally but then moved to the west midlands, just outside of birmingham. Three of my kids still live there and one moved to Australia. We live in Waterboro Maine which is about twenty five miles from Portland if that helps any. We live out in the woods so pretty remote thankfully, it's just my husband works in Old Orchard Beach so you can imagine how many people he is in contact with every single day!!!!!

Hello and welcome, Mia. =)

Congratulations on finding this site, it is SUCH a relief to know that
    you're not alone, isn't it? I hope that you find comfort in knowing
    that this is a perfectly normal fear, there are others like you, and
    that we are always willing to help you out whenever we can. I do
    suggest you check out the sticky post at the top of this page labeled,
    "Who are you" to read all about our members here. I am always here if
    you need something.

Welcome to our lil emet family, Mia!

*Laura*

PS: I wouldn't worry about getting sick, even though its easier said
    than done. But I don't think that the chances are very lucky. And even
    if something does happen, we are all here for you. Take care. </font>

Thank you so much for the lovely welcome and support, of course I will still worry till my husband gets home from work and says everyone is fine, which I hope he will!!!! So tense right now though.

I used to think I was a freak because apart from emet I have loads of anxiety issues which I have overcome a lot of them and no longer take any medication but today wish I had something i could take to calm me down.

It's good to know there are so many of us, well that's not good I know but you know what I mean. I'm not alone!!!

Thank you

welcome, mia</span>[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]<br style="color: rgb(204, 0, 0); font-weight: bold;">
    just remind him
    to make sure to avoid that co worker, and maybe even people who were in
    contact with that coworker. It's extremely unlikely that any
    germs were left behind when he went in to work. I'm sure every
    night they clean the place really well.</span>

Do what your heart tells you to-- even when your fears tell you not to.

You are alive....so live.

That's funny you mentioned the cleaning, that's my husbands job a lot of the time as he closes up mostly on his own at night. He has worked with the co workers of the guy that was sick at work so that's why I'm worried. I just hope no one else got it from him. He went home fairly quickly after starting to V so here's hoping we are safe?

I think you are safe!!! How are you doing now?

Hi

You guys are so great, actually I'm not all right but not for the emet reason right now, but pure anxiety and stress and panic, my husband was knocked off his motorcycle tonight in our driveway of all places. A college girl decided to pass on the right and knock him off. He is fine but it was a brand new motorcycle so he's very upset. Consequently I'm over the top with nerves but hiding it naturally and sending it all here sorry.

As for the panic of earlier that's still there, but so far everyone seems OK how many hours is it before I can stop worrying about that as well?

Thanks for all the support today

Oh I'm so sorry about your hubby! I'm glad he's ok.