Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Tips?

Default Tips?

Does any one know of any tips to calm emet? I get nervous when people are telling stories of how they were sick a long time ago.. I don't know how to control my fear really? Any advice?

Default Re: Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by MeganTaylor View Post
    Does any one know of any tips to calm emet? I get nervous when people are telling stories of how they were sick a long time ago.. I don't know how to control my fear really? Any advice?
    Try to practice self talk...."I'm ok , I'm ok" I try to breathe through panic attacks (don't know if you have anxiety and panic) although it is very difficult. Read a lot about emet and try to use as few tactics as you can to avoid getting sick. It's a viscous cycle. I'm scared and very nervous right now and I'm trying to breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by kbscared View Post
    Try to practice self talk...."I'm ok , I'm ok" I try to breathe through panic attacks (don't know if you have anxiety and panic) although it is very difficult. Read a lot about emet and try to use as few tactics as you can to avoid getting sick. It's a viscous cycle. I'm scared and very nervous right now and I'm trying to breathe.
    I have panic attacks mixed in there with anxiety... I have a book in the mail about emet to see if that will work because so far thats the only think i know how to do.. seems like nothing works well tho..

Have you tried meditation? If you are new to it, you might want to get a guided meditation CD. My advice would be to listen to that CD every day, maybe twice a day, even on the days you are feeling calm, because it will help overall with time. Practicing deep breathing will help too, and progressive muscle relaxation.

Also positive self-talk like kbscared said - affirmations are really helpful, but they also need to be practiced and will be more helpful the longer you practice.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'l have to try that meditation.. and what do you mean by affirmations?

They are positive self-talk statements. The ones I use I got from Edmund J. Bourne's The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. There are a ton of good affirmations in there. My favorites are "This feeling isn't dangerous - it will pass", "I don't need these thoughts - I can choose to think differently", "I'm learning to let go of worrying. I can replace worrying with constructive action".
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a few links in my sig that explain in detail the things I find helpful. Meditation and self hypnosis were my personal favs, along with calm breathing.

You may find these links helpful!

Thanks I will have to try those out! And I'm thinking about getting that book it looks interesting and maybe it'll help. Thank you so much everyone..

second day of therapy on monday :S i'm super scared!

Yeah, I would definitely recommend the book. The information in it pretty much saved me.

And good luck with your therapy.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes!