Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: About the Forum Upgrade, New Look, and Path Forward

We're not having new people take photos of themselves, so we don't need to figure that one out

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I really like Barbie's idea, I hadn't thought of that. It doesn't seem anything like that exists currently, but if someone tracks it down, let me know. That would indeed be a great option.
    Facebook has something similar, at least if you want to do anything without constantly having to do those stupid authentication boxes. I don't know of any specific software that could achieve this, but there has to be some way to do it. It might be something that you would have to set up through a mobile or internet provider, not through software. I don't know.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

It's not something that I can find existing that is compatible for this software. With enough time and money, anything can be built custom, absolutely. I'm sure Craigslist and Facebook can do it, but that's completely different than doing the same thing here from scratch. But again, if someone can find it existing as a compatible software application or plugin, let me know.

I know that on Craigslist it doesn't have to be a mobile phone. You can send a message to your home phone that repeats an authentication code in english or french. I really think that the phone verification would work. If someone is underage, and doesn't have a phone, their parents may not be happy about entering their number on the internet. That's the only conflict I can see.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The more critical conflict is that it may very well be 50K in custom programming for that to work on Craigslist. If it's not a pre-built software component that is compatible with the forum, it's not a realistic option. Companies build airplanes too, but we're not going to be able to do that either

If you know of a forum running our software that does that, let me know.

I wouldn't know where to search for that kind of software, or where to begin ... :/ I really doubt anyone on this forum would be able to research that kind of software either.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm sure there's a lot of very smart people here with widely diverse backgrounds, so we'll have to wait and see.

There's a free plugin for vbulletin called OnVerify - from the brief read I had of the features it's a OTP type service that sends a code to a mobile. The problem with these things is the ongoing cost of sending messages for verification.

Personally I think that any support forum should be able to be easily accessible to people. That's what we're here for right? To support each other? If we let the one or two people causing problems get in our way, we're at risk of preventing people who might be really in need of support from actually reaching it. I don't know about others, but certainly the reason I am here is because I don't really have people who understand what I am going through in my life. Support and care, yes, but don't really relate to it.

I haven't been on here for very long and when posts about drama and trolls and deception and such things came up, it was a bit unnerving especially not knowing any of the history. To think that you might be fooled or are at risk of being attacked or made fun of is of course not a nice thing and I can completely understand why people are upset over that particularly people who were targeted directly.

I agree with others - let's keep supporting each other and ignore the trolling.

Thanks, good perspective laitka. I had seen that mod as well, but it's for an older version of vbulletin and it doesn't look like they have one for any more recent version. I suspect because there wasn't a significant market demand for it since I've never seen it in action, but who knows. But yep, there is the message sending cost too, so somehow that would need to be absorbed even if they do release a newer version. Good find though!

This forum runs off php right?
    "Free speech is like money, some just have a lot more of it than others"

Formerly GuitarFreak

I believe so.

All ideas sound great...just please, don't make us pay for membership!! Everything is going up except our paychecks!!

We will find something that works. The only thing we can do right now is just be precautious about things.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Companies build airplanes too, but we're not going to be able to do that either
    We should have everyone chip in $10,000. Then we can buy our own private jet and fly around.

Also, the mobile phone ID idea sounds great, I'll look into finding software compatible with vbulletin.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

I am very impressed by the way we work together as a community. I would never advocate paying for a help & support forum. I would not find banning all proxies a completely wise move despite it's wisdom. I think ideally ignoring people who have nothing better to do on their hands save for trolling a forum for phobia support, would be the best move. We do have to be accepting of the fact that some of our members might just be a bit more sensitive and react to it. Our moderators have done a swell job with how few of them we have and I have not seen Mary around in ages (I miss you Mary). Sage and Bonnie have been super women though! Perhaps appointing new moderators would be a choice move, people who have proven very helpful, positive, are around often and able to dedicate that kind of time. It would at least put more force against the baddies that sneak in. There should be stricter guidelines for new comers as well. It is unfortunate that a few bad apples can make it tough for the good ones, but it's a safety measure. i.e no posting in the private sections till they have had time to post in other sections without being suspicious or cause trouble. That's just my two cents but it rings much the same as others opinions. I suppose at this point it is just support for ideas in numbers.
    Life is so worth living.

Hello, first, thanks for the run down in how this all works, I'm amazed at how simple to use and how quick this forum is. From the bottom of my heart, thankyou to all who have made this forum possible. I am at the lowest point in my life due toEmet and some pretty devastating family news and had literally run out of options before I found this site thanks for all the constant hard work you all do to provide a lifeline and comfort to so many people. Even without actually being a part of the group, just reading what others are saying to each other is a comfort. I hope to fit in and join you all in your journey soon. As you'll have figured, I am new here so am not aware of exactly what happened but whatever trolls do, they are after one result, to get attentio. I reckon ignore them!

I think Sdfl had a good idea, newbies spend a while on public forums before being allowed to post on the private bit. Sdfl, you always seem to come up with such good ideas!