Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Mulitple strains of noro...?

I posted something about my daughter earlier but now I have a different question, my hubby & I had a sv* in November, now say my daughter has a sv*, even if it is a different strain would I have some immunity to it? I know that usually it is only 1-2 strains going aorund a year, and since it was just a short while ago I had one I am praying I have some immunity to it. I know it could very well be the same virus hubby & I had, and I know it is still going around here, I mean someone has posted about it on facebook at least once a week since Halloween. It got worse after Christmas but it doens't seem to be going away, I'm praying it is the same strain we had but like I asked if it isn't the same strain could we have a lil immunity to it since they are all Noro strains and it is within a 3 month period? I need some reassurance here...I know just cause she got sick doesn't mean I will. I knwo thousands of peopel get sick a day and no one else does but I am in a moment of panic!

Default Re: Mulitple strains of noro...?

I am not sure how to answer this question. I have read that immunity lasts only a few months. Our antibodies in our body remember their plan of attack once they attack a certain strain. Your daughter may have the same strain that you had in November. So you may be immune. I have also read that the virus mutates and changes quickly. So the strain may have changed. This is why immunity doesn't last long. As long as you wash your hands and keep your dirty hands from your mouth you will not get sick (unless you ate something that was infected). Other than that you should be fine! Just curious. When you were sick in November did you vomit? I also wonder about that and people who struggle with emetophobia.
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We have had the stomach bug 3 times so far within 2 months.

I felt nauseated and took some probiotics (that claim to stop a stomach virus right in its tracks) and a anti emetic and slept. Hubby v*ed twice. And yea I read the whole thing of it mutating fast but I thought it was more like 6 months to a year, gosh I hope its the same strain. I am washing my hands it just sucks cause she v*ed on herself while we were out so I had to clean her up wih wet wipes (which they say kill noro) then I wiped my hands really good and drove home and we both showered. She is only 18 months and she has no fever, she nursed just fine ran around the house playing and even fought taking her nap. I would think if it was noro she would feel somewhat bad. I hope my prayers are answered...

Quote Originally Posted by sullycat86 View Post
    We have had the stomach bug 3 times so far within 2 months.
    Are you sure it ever went away? Cause if you don't take proper precautions and let your body heal it will come back again cause your intestines will get irritated...but to be honest that REALLY freaks me out...how the hell do you manage getting a sv* 3 times? Do you wash your hands properly?

Quote Originally Posted by CMM811 View Post
    Are you sure it ever went away? Cause if you don't take proper precautions and let your body heal it will come back again cause your intestines will get irritated...but to be honest that REALLY freaks me out...how the hell do you manage getting a sv* 3 times? Do you wash your hands properly?
    I cleaned, I lysoled everything, i bleached, I washed my hands, I quartined family members to their room. I am horribly horribly afraid of v* and take every precaution known to man! Somehow, some way we caught it. It's been a nightmare. So far we have gone 48 hours without anyone v*. We caught different strains of it. I took my whole family to the doctors and they did blood work to check for mold, lead and everything else and nothing. I had low potassium from being sick but that was about it. I am still highstrung right now in fear that it will rear its ugly head again!

Just try and remember that this may not be an sv, kids get sick sometimes for reasons other than sv's and i know you state that she has a fever, well that doesn't necessarily mean its an sv either.

Just follow normal precautions, hand washing and disenfecting the door handles, sideboards etc. I know some people say that they use every precaution to prevent sv's however i am not convinved that this is true on some peoples behalf. I work in a hospital, infection control is obviously a massive part of my job. The reason why hospitals have outbreaks is down to the fact that hands are not washed properly. not because new and outrageous strains are released over a short period of time.

Hope this goes a little way to reassure you, and even if it is an sv, it does not mean that you will get it. x

I'm not sure how long it takes for a strain to mutate into another one either, i'd like to think it is one a year but you do hear of people getting it a couple of times in one season sometimes so who knows?

As Lola says though kids can be sick for all sorts of reasons unfortunately, even a fever can make kids sick so controlling a fever with can help with any sickness being caused by that. It doesn't sound like your daughter had an sv tbh she seems to have bounced back too quickly.
    Last edited by paulinek; 02-04-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek View Post
    I'm not sure how long it takes for a strain to mutate into another one either, i'd like to think it is one a year but you do hear of people getting it a couple of times in one season sometimes so who knows?

As Lola says though kids can be sick for all sorts of reasons unfortunately, even a fever can make kids sick so controlling a fever with can help with any sickness being caused by that. It doesn't sound like your daughter had an sv tbh she seems to have bounced back too quickly.
    Well she didn't get the fever till about 4 hours after she v*ed. Hence why now I'm freaking out. She did have some crackers and juice with probiotics. I'm praying it isn't a sv*, even though she bounced back really quickly she is still breastfeeding and takes probiotics and I use essential oils daily...