Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Am I doomed??

Hybrid View

A true and devoted relationship is like 90% of my life. But I am worried that I will not be able to find someone who is capable of coping with me and my phobia(s) everyday. Hell, my best friend told me the other day that she would find it annoying to cope with. yeah, some frend she is. But honestly, I just don't think that I'm going to find someone who cares enough that easily. I not only have emet, but I think that I have a little bit of agorophobia. I'm sometimes afraid of being too far away from home, I get nervous and then it leads to a panic. I end up being afraid to well...you know, the big "V" word.

I have my highschool prom in about a month and its downtown, Denver which isn't really that far for the average person, but I think its too far. One, because I haven't driven that far and I'm just a beginner driver. So yeah, they say just to get a ride from someone. Well, that means I get home and I'm far away.

So I really do wonder if I can find someone who can deal with stuff like that every day from me. AM I DOOMED??

Colorado-Brandon Edson, you all could be the closest for me to lean on
    If you\'re from Colorado then tell me!!

You are not doomed and you are not alone![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]A lot of us here are married, and though it may be tough for our spouses at times, in terms of being able to understand the depths of this illness, they love us for better and for worse just as we love them thru their ups and downs. I also have what I call "comfort zones" that I feel safe in and it is hard for me to leave those boundries. Mabey fro now till the prom, you could make little visits to downtown-first just a drive down. Then the next time mabey grab a latte or a small lunch. Mabey another time visit some shops, so that when you go to your prom, you won't feel so out of place. Another thing is you are at a place in your life where you are experiencing a lot of changes and that can be very scary. I think you will be just fine.

First of all, what school do you go to? I am a Colorado native and am very familiar with the prom in Denver thing.

You will find someone that will be able to handle all of your fears. I was lucky enough to find someone in high school, and I honestly don't know what I would do without him. Of course I drive him crazy when I'm constantly quizzing him when he's sick or keeping him up all night while I leave the light on and read because my stomach doesn't feel "right." But then there are the good days too, that I try and show him how much I appreciate all he does for me. When you find the right person, they will be happy to help you through this.

As for prom, it sounds like this is your first since you are a "beginner driver." I had the same worries when I went. In fact, I pretty much have the same worries when I go anywhere. But after I got there, there was so much going on and I had such a great time that I completely forgot about the phobia. Of course this is easier for a girl because we carry a purse, but I always keep a Sprite and a bottle of Pepto Bismol pills with me just in case. It is my comfort pack that I rarely use, but makes me feel better to know I have it.

Have a great time!

Thanx for the info, I go to Arapahoe Highschool in Centennial/Littleton.

Don't stress!!!

When I broke up with my boyfriend of two years, nearly three years ago, the parting row included him shouting at me "you're a f*****g freak, you won't go past the end of your road, you won't eat ,you won't do anything , then he stormed off!!! I thought I was totally broken until I realied that it is better being on your own than with the wrong person. But before I realised that I thought I was doomed too. But now I have a boyfriend of six months who has promised me faithfully that if I ever feel properly sick when we are out somewhere, he'll have me home and in bed with chewing gum, mints and water before I could blink! He also has told me to wake him up whenever I am staying over at his and I wake up feeling sick.

SOO moral of my rambling story is, that no, you are far from doomed and yes, there are people who will deal with the problems because they love you. BUT being in the wrong relationship will almost definately make it 100 times worse, so pick carefully!!! Kisses xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I went to Standley Lake in Westminster, and still live pretty close to there.

Thanx y'all