Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy my mom has been throwing up

So yesterday was the Super Bowl, my parents went to some friends house and there was a lot of different food there and my mom ate a lot of it, and a lot of different combinations of food too. She felt fine all yesterday, and went to bed at around 1am, still feeling fine, just full from all of the food she ate yesterday. So I woke up at about 11:30am this morning and heard that the vent was on to the downstairs bathroom. I didn't really think that much of it, cause people turn it on when they use the bathroom sometimes, but everyone else was supposed to be at work, so that's when my emet mind started to panic a little. I went to the bathroom upstairs, and proceeded to head downstairs to get some breakfast. As soon as I walked down the stairs I saw my mother laying on the couch with a pillow and a blanket and she was supposed to be at work so I knew that she was sick. I asked her anyways if she had thrown up, and she knows I'm emetophobic so it pained her to see my expression when she told me she had thrown up, but she had. She woke up at around 4am feeling extremely nauseous and ended up have diarrhea about 10 times she said, then she started to throw up at around 6am this morning, and did so about 4 times. It's now 1:37pm and I haven't heard the toilet flush since I've been up, so that means it's been a few hours since she has thrown up but I'm trying not to freak out. She has stayed confined to one bathroom, so that's good. And I haven't touched her or been in that bathroom since she's gotten sick, and I wasn't around her at all yesterday because I was at my boyfriends family's house for the Super Bowl. She isn't sure if it's a virus, or just something that she ate at the party, or just a combination of the foods she ate. I don't know what to think, but I'm trying not to panic. Do you think it was just something she ate? She did mention a crab dip thing yesterday, or maybe she actually has a virus. I don't know, I just don't want to be around it all day cause I'm not going to be doing anything today like that involves me really being gone. I just wish this wasn't happening right now. Any support, or comfort, or advice for if I do catch it (if it is a virus) and how to handle it ?

Default Re: my mom has been throwing up

Well.. it's now 2 o'clock and she just threw up again. I heard it from upstairs, so yeah that means she's not done and isn't feeling better obviously. I need to get out of my house, cause right now it's just me and her alone, and I can't handle this right now. I feel helpless.

I'm sorry to hear your mom is sick...she may have food poisoning, or did catch a bug. Its hard to tell unfortunately.

Wonder if there was anybody else who got sick yesterday too?? How does your dad feel?

Make sure to keep yourself fully sanitized. I know you wish you could help your mom, but the fact that she's sick is so paralyzing to u/us

She was taken to urgent care about 2 hours ago and has been put on an IV because she was dehydrated. She has an intestinal virus they said, so the "stomach flu". I'm trying to stay sanitized and clean but it's hard because she isn't staying in one room. She's only using one bathroom though which is good. I went to a friends house, but I'm gonna have to go home sometime tonight. It's gonna be a rough night and a rough week and I'm trying not to panic but it's so hard. I really don't want to get sick ( I just don't know what to do anymore.

Keep your hands clean, and away from your face. If you keep your distance, there's no reason why you should catch it. You're not alone; we're here for you.

Unhappy Re: my mom has been throwing up

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
    Keep your hands clean, and away from your face. If you keep your distance, there's no reason why you should catch it. You're not alone; we're here for you.
    Yeah, I'm trying to keep them clean and everything and I used Lysol on like everything that I touched before I came over to my friends house. Should I just stay in my room? And it's really hard because I basically haven't eaten anything today, only one banana, a special K bar and a few pretzels. I can't afford not to eat but I don't want to have too much on my stomach if I do catch it last time this happened to me I lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks.

O wow, how are you feeling today? Also, how is your mom feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Erica1649 View Post
    O wow, how are you feeling today? Also, how is your mom feeling?
    If anyone is up right now I could really use someone to talk to. Anyone. Well because of all that's been going on, I haven't really been eating very much cause that's just what I do. Now I am feeling slightly nauseous and my stomach just doesn't feel awesome, but I'm assuming that it's because I haven't been eating normally. I'm sitting up in my bedroom, at 2:20am, and I am just panicing because I can't decide whether this is just all my doing, or if I am actually going to be sick now. I feel sort of hot, and I definitely feel like I'm having a panic attack. I'm doing everything I can do calm myself down, but I need someone to talk to and to comfort me right now since everyone else I know is sleeping, and I don't want to wake up my mom as she is still recovering herself. I hate feeling this way

Hey there - You know, I do the same thing when I get put into the throws of anxiety over this. I don't eat. I just can't. The anxiety just takes over and blah I just can't do it. So I can relate. I bet a lot of us can. But then, I do start to feel even worse because I haven't eaten. I feel sort of hypocritical offering any advice because I..well I am at this forum for a reason as well..you know? But when I get like this I really have to try to focus on the logical sides of things. Like...I am being as sanitary as I can possibly be. I haven't been around (near) anyone while they are ACTUALLY V*. I can't catch this by just breathing the same air as them. I am safe. Nothing has changed to make me un-safe. (I don't think that is a real word. lol) I understand. Honestly, I really do. It is the WORST feeling in the world. But -- it WILL pass. Promise. Take some really good deep breaths. Find a distraction. Try to fall asleep. Breathe. It will be ok.

Hey, just seeing how you are feeling now...you could feel wishy washy because you aren't eating properly. I did that after my hubby was sick at the end of December and every little thing I ate (like slice of bread or banana) I felt icky.

I think you anxiety also has a lot to do on how you are feeling. Next time try distractions of your favorite movie or TV show on DVD. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by saniaddict View Post
    Hey there - You know, I do the same thing when I get put into the throws of anxiety over this. I don't eat. I just can't. The anxiety just takes over and blah I just can't do it. So I can relate. I bet a lot of us can. But then, I do start to feel even worse because I haven't eaten. I feel sort of hypocritical offering any advice because I..well I am at this forum for a reason as well..you know? But when I get like this I really have to try to focus on the logical sides of things. Like...I am being as sanitary as I can possibly be. I haven't been around (near) anyone while they are ACTUALLY V*. I can't catch this by just breathing the same air as them. I am safe. Nothing has changed to make me un-safe. (I don't think that is a real word. lol) I understand. Honestly, I really do. It is the WORST feeling in the world. But -- it WILL pass. Promise. Take some really good deep breaths. Find a distraction. Try to fall asleep. Breathe. It will be ok.
    Yeah, it's really hard to force myself to eat anything but I know I have too or else I will end up really sick. I did the same thing last year. I lost almost 10 pounds. I normally weigh around 130 and right now I'm already down to 127 lbs. I am not doing this because I want to get skinnier, because I actually hate how skinny I am, but somehow I just can't bring myself to start eating normally. Should I consult a therapist or something about this? Because I know it can't be doing any good internally to be starving myself. I just hate this phobia. I managed to fall asleep last night at around 4, but I feel like I'm living a nightmare right now I forced myself to eat a little bit of breakfast and am gonna try and eat a bigger lunch. Thanks for all of the support both of you. It means so much.

Hi Lauren. How are you doing?

Hope you are having a better day!

Well I am still feeling off but I think that's just because I haven't been eating normally. I ate waffles for breakfast and had milk, I've taken my probiotics today and my fiber which usually helps with my digestion. Then I went to my friends and managed to eat an entire can of progresso soup. My stomach feels weird because I haven't been eating normally I'm pretty sure, and sometimes when I do this for too long I do feel a little nauseous, and the anxiety itself makes me nauseous too so I can never tell what's real and what's just my imagination :/ but thanks for checking up on me. My mom is up and working today, so she's getting better, but I'm still gonna be nervous all week that the germs are still all over my house.

hi! just wanted to check in on ya too...been following this the past few days..thinking about you. keep clean, keep hands washed, avoid eating anything she cooks..just take it easy. i know its hard to stop thinking about the thought of its coming for you...but you are ok. deep deep breaths...have you been able to talk with your mom? take care of yourself