Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fear of being sick is with me every single day... help

I fear being sick more than death. honestly. every day i monitor how 'sick' i feel. I often wake up feeling a bit yucky, then I panic because I fear it will get worse. On a bad day, I can't eat and I kind of gag when I do feel sick, which only adds to my anxiety. I'm paranoid about hygiene, wash my hands a million times a day, don't trust food, don't trust others handling food, I freak out if anyone preparing foods coughs, I worry about my little boy being sick, I fear every night that that's going to be the night one of us is sick. It's all consuming.

I take Dramamine tablets if I do feel sick as I am terrified of being sick, and I always have a supply of them at hand.

I won't ever go on a cruise, cos I get seasick. I am anxious on a plane, or on a bus and I have to 'dope up' on dramamine before I fly or travel anywhere.

When my son gets sick, which is a couple times a year given he's only young, I handle it, for his sake, but inside I am freaking out. I get angry at mums who send their kids to school still infectious.

I won't drink more than two glasses max of wine, and even then I worry a bit. I won't eat anything 'dodgy' or if the place looks unclean. I hate touching public door handles, trollies, etc. I hate public toilets and will avoid using them if I can

I worry about everything, all day. I wouldn't eat if I wasn't starving, which also makes you feel sick so you have to eat to stop feeling sick sometmies, dont u.

Why am I like this? Diarrorhea doesnt bother me, so why does being sick? If I heear something is going round, I get very anxious and 'plan' to be ill in two days time where I won't make any plans

I've had two really bad experiences years ago being sick. One was an awful stomach bug, and the other was being very seasick on a boat, whale watching, where I was in agony for about an hour then sick over another passenger before I made it overboard

Wish I wasn't bothered but i am, all the time

Help x

Default Re: Fear of being sick is with me every single day... help

welcome to the forum. you sound just like alot of us......so we know how you feel

hopefully you will find lots of good advice and tips from reading and posting in here......seems there's always someone here if you need them.

i don't do boats either.....and have never flown.....no kids here either so you definitely have a "leg up" on me......congrats on being that brave

hope you find some good coping skills here...
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I understand 100% what you mean. I get like that every winter, right when the S.V. starts going around. So, right about now! I have been feeling that exact same way for a while. I'm so paranoid that today might be "my day." None of my friends or family understand. My boyfriend is sympathetic and tries to distract me but I feel like such a burden on others and on myself! I make myself feel ill all the time with this anxiety. I have a daughter and even though shes only 4 months old, im already starting to worry about her. Take comfort in the fact that there are others feeling the exact same way you are. So you are probably not sick. I forget where I read this, but they said, "Normal people don't feel this way or even worry about feeling this way every day of their lives." So that's what I try to keep in mind. I try to remember that I'm most likely fine. Especially if I keep up good hygiene and try to eat healthy. Just know, you are not alone!

Moving your post to "Help and Support" so you get more responses!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.