Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default killing the virus..can someone give advice?

What are the ingredients that kill the noro virus again?? I forgot to write them down and I can't find them anywhere on the new site when I asked about them last. I really need to get some of those special cleaners with that ingredient in them.. can someone help???

Default Re: killing the virus..can someone give advice?

Benzalkonium Chloride & Benzethonium Chloride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There is a product that we use at my job called OxivirTb. It kills Noro with only 1 minute contact time and is very safe to use. I believe you can buy it online, do a Google search.

Where are you wanting to kill it? On surfaces the best is a solution of 1tbsp of bleach to one quart of water. On hands benzelconium chloride works fastest. You need to leave these chemicals on for a minute at least in order to kill the virus.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Yes just on surfaces around the house, like kitchen counter tops and in the bathroom.. is benzelconium safe to use then?

I assumed you meant it was for your hands, mind you those two ingredients are available in both hand sanitisers and surface sprays, but for surfaces then like Sage says bleach and water is your best bet, it's cheap and very effective but you do need to mix it up whereas the surface sprays are quick and convenient and also don't bleach your clothes if like me you are clumsy and tend to splash it about lol.

Benz Chloride is perfectly safe so long as you follow the instructions on the pack, one thing i find with sprays that contain it is that they do tend to 'catch' in the back of your throat and make you cough a bit if you go overboard and spray too much and get a cloud of it, so just go steady with it and try not to breathe it in

I've been using Wet Ones and Lysol spray (I found online that it kills Norovirus). My question is how long do you keep using it? My husband had a s*v* on Monday so I spent the night at my parents' who happen to live next door. Yesterday I came home from work (he had been home all day but was much better) and disinfected everything I could (door handles, light switches, cabinet knobs, faucets, fridge, the entire bathroom, bedroom - even stripping and spraying my mattress - TV remotes, telephone, etc.) I even made him sleep in a different room again last night.

Now, today, even though he is back to normal, I still feel the need to follow him and Lysol everything he touched. I did a little bit, but not as thorough as yesterday and it's making me quite uneasy. I am petrified to sleep in the same room with him tonight.

I keep trying to explain that he is contagious for at least 48 hours after his symptoms go away but he doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori35inRI View Post
    I've been using Wet Ones and Lysol spray (I found online that it kills Norovirus). My question is how long do you keep using it? My husband had a s*v* on Monday so I spent the night at my parents' who happen to live next door. Yesterday I came home from work (he had been home all day but was much better) and disinfected everything I could (door handles, light switches, cabinet knobs, faucets, fridge, the entire bathroom, bedroom - even stripping and spraying my mattress - TV remotes, telephone, etc.) I even made him sleep in a different room again last night.

Now, today, even though he is back to normal, I still feel the need to follow him and Lysol everything he touched. I did a little bit, but not as thorough as yesterday and it's making me quite uneasy. I am petrified to sleep in the same room with him tonight.

I keep trying to explain that he is contagious for at least 48 hours after his symptoms go away but he doesn't get it.
    I think it might be 72 hours that he is potentially contagious but he is only contagious in that there may be viral particles in his poo, so the only way he could spread it now is by getting poo on his hands, not washingit off properly and then touching something that you then touch....it's pretty long odds, but it woul dbe much easier if he could be sure to wash his hands properly for 20 seconds with plenty of soap and keep to his own towel and then you wouldn't have to keep disinfecting after him!
    Last edited by paulinek; 02-09-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling