Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default New to forum - want to introduce myself

Hello, I am Lori, 35 years old and live in Rhode Island.

I have been an emetophobe for as long as I can remember. In fact, I only remember v* 4 times in all my life (3 I recall eating stuff that upset my stomach and once as an adult when I had a procedure and was given too much anesthesia).

I was anorexic for 12 years which at first was due to weight issues, but as I started putting pounds back on, I felt sick a lot. I recall my emetophobia really taking hold then and I became afraid to eat for fear of getting sick. I always thought that the less food in my stomach, the less that would come up. I have had endoscopies, colonoscopy, was tested for celiac disease, lactose intolerance, etc. Only conclusion is I have IBS and LPR (acid reflux attacking my throat).

As I now have recently been diagnosed with anxiety/panic attacks, my emet is consuming my every waking moment (especially this time of year) and I deal with chronic n* - NOT a good combination.

I have had a few s*v* in the last few years, but with only n* and d*.

Unfortunately, my husband had it yesterday with it all - n*, d* and (worst of all) v*. I packed a bag and stayed next door with my parents. I got home today and with plastic gloves disinfected my apartment. I still don't feel like it is enough and I am in absolute dread of whether I will catch it. I am OCD with washing/sanitizing my hands (especially before I eat). I found CVS has foaming hand sanitizer with the "special" ingredients to kill norovirus. I bought 6 bottles and 3 packages of Wet Ones.

Now, my husband acts like nothing ever happened (he even went to Wendy's today!) and expects me to just "get over it". He doesn't understand how something (v*) which doesn't bother him is so petrifying to me.

I've been lurking on this site for a week now and am so glad and relieved to see so many others who feel the same.

Default Re: New to forum - want to introduce myself

Hi Lori! I left you a message on your page. I'm not too sure if you got it. I'm also in RI! You'll find a few other ladies from our small state on here as well Welcome!

You're definitely not alone

I did. For some reason, when I originally registered I still couldn't post or reply to your message. After 4 days of waiting I decided to re-register. I actually sent you a message on Facebook to let you know I wasn't ignoring you. Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Hmm, I didn't receive your FB message :/ You're welcome. This site offers a good feeling of community and I've met a lot of great people off of it. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling right now. This season is always the worst for us because it feels like there's no escaping it. My boyfriend is understanding to an extent but still has trouble dealing with my anxiety and panic. You can try to message me/add me on FB again if you follow the link in my signature and then there should be my personal page under "page owner" if you ever wanna chat!

Thank you. I appreciate that. It is difficult now. I have been able to hide it somewhat - basically suffer in silence. I always get on my husband about hand washing, etc. And he just rolls his eyes at me. When I had a mini-s*v* a few weeks ago, he says "how's that hand sanitizer working for ya?" REALLY?? Don't get me wrong, when I am sick he is always there for me, but since v* is nothing to him, he just doesn't understand. Sorry... I'm rambling.

I had a stomach virus back in October. I only threw up once, but it was mostly just horrible stomach pains and the other end. It sucked because my boyfriend was still in school in Jacksonville, FL so I had to endure it alone. I think your husband should be reminded that hand sanitizer doesn't make you super woman lol It is truly hard sometimes for rational minds to understand something irrational like a phobia. I don't even understand my own emet and anxiety! Perhaps take a look at the FAQ/ info sectio on this site about emetophobia and print it out for your husband. I know members on here who have done that and it's been successful. I did the same as well only for my father

Welcome!
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.