Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: EMDR or CBT?

Default EMDR or CBT?

My therapist asked if I would like to do CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) or EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). I had never heard of EMDR until she mentioned it, but it seems a little odd. Anyone have any recommendations?

Default Re: EMDR or CBT?

Go for CBT. I went to a psychologist who practiced EMDR and it did nothing for me. I banged on drums, rang a meditation bowl, listened to dolphins swimming while thinking about vomiting and then things that made me happy. It felt like something out of a comedy sketch.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't know much about EMDR, but I'm a big fan of CBT. I've never had a therapist that actually specialized in CBT (still hoping to find one someday) and who could walk me through it, but I've done some CBT work on my own using websites and self-help books, and it was so helpful.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CBT is the method that the most scholarly research has been done on and it's been found to be effective. EMDR is very interesting. My therapist did some with me and I think it was helpful. Totally not the insta-cure some people talk about but it did help open up emotions from long ago. I think you're wise to go with the CBT though, but not sure why she's making you choose!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I have being going to see therapy at summit medical group cognitive behavioral therapy for almost a year, my therapist along with medications, have saved my life. My outlook on my phobia and the way i act twards it has completly changed.
    At CBT i have tried EMDR a few times i think that it was extreamly helpful. if you have researced it you know that the way it works it that you focus on one specific memory that causes you a high level of anxiety and through a series of EMDR treatments it is suppose to lower the level of anxiety that the though brings you.
    i agree with sage, it is definatly not the "insta-cure" however.... i found it very helpful. but remember only one memory at a time and each memory take a few sesions to lower the anxiety level. i can honestly say when i look back to the memorys i have treated with EMDR that they cause me siginificantly less anxiety.
    please ask if you have any other questions i would be happy to discuss with you.
    Jeneva

I would choose CBT and a new theapist, personally!