Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Cool My Etemophobia story

Hi,
    My name is Katie, I'm 21 and a mother of a one year old, I have had Emetophobia for as long as I can remember, though only realising this 18 months ago.

As I said I've had Emetophobia for as long as I can remember, I have always been fastidious about food hygiene, worrying about sell buy dates, anxiety around ordering from restaurants/takeaways, limiting alcohol intake, avoiding anyone who has a SV and being particularly anxious around preparing raw chicken. With all that going on I still led a normal life.

Since falling pregnant in March 2010 my Emetophobia has gone into overdrive. I can imagine you're thinking "You have a fear of vomiting, yet are pregnant, the most likely period where you are to vomit." I have a morbid fear of vomiting, yes the thought of having morning sickness struck the fear of God into me but I new it would be worth it. I unfortunately had very bad morning sickness all the way through the pregnancy. I never physically v* buy I felt very nauseous, because of this my appetite significantly decreased and I got it into my head if I don't eat I won't be sick. If you would of known me before this you would know, I love food and enjoyed eating, I maintained a healthy size 12-14 figure. Anyway I accepted how I felt through the pregnancy as I knew it would come to an end and I would a beautiful baby. Of course I was concerned that the baby wouldn't be getting all that she needed but I was informed by several medical professionals that the baby would be fine and she would get all she needs from my reserves. I gave birth to a healthy baby 5 pound 8 ounces and began to feel better. Over the following few months my eating started to decline and I began to feel nauseated, with being a new mum my body went on autopilot and I was ignoring how I felt. After a few months my family could no longer ignore it and dragged me to my GP. It took me a while to admit that I had a problem but when I did I automatically began to feel better in my head. My GP stated that i may be depressed and suffering anorexia nervosa. This angered me, i could understand me being depressed but i was not anorexic, i found the thought absurd as all i wanted to do was eat and the only thing that was stopping me was the fear of vomiting. He thought that I should be put on antidepressants to help with feeling low and some anti emetics to combat the nausea (which they couldn't find a physical reason for), referred onto a psychiatrist. I began to feel a little better unfortunately it did not stay this way and for months now I go through periods of feeling better and then going down hill again. Not only that but I began suffering debilitating panic attacks, to the point where I've been admitted into hospital twice. Luckily I've not had a bad one since the beginning of December.

Ive began CBT, I had my first session yesterday.
    At first I felt apprehensive because I thought if my family can't shake me out of this how is someone I don't know going to do it. Anyway we talked through everything, I told her things that I wouldn't mention in front of my family. At the end of the session I felt a sense of relief and now I'm looking up. I know it's going to take a lot of effort on my behalf but I feel positive and if I do relapse I know they are going to help me.

Is there anyone out there that has had a similar experience to me? I would really like to talk with you if possible.

Default Re: My Etemophobia story

hiya katie,
    would just like to advise you to stick with the CBT, have been having it for a few months and although it isnt the miracle cure we are all searching for, it certainly makes you think in a different way and offers a little more understanding into how we feel the way we feel. Am still kind of in the middle of it all right now so cant really give you a 'look i survived' story! but if it helps, remember that every day you get up, get through the day without a major breakdown and put a smile on your daughters face thats a good day. best of luck on your road to recovery, hope that it is a speedy one x

I have had CBT too it absolutely saved my life. It gave me a new lease of life and gave me a new outlook-

I owe everything i know and live now to CBT

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I've only had one session of CBT, I'm having one a week and definitely going to stick with it.