Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Traveling w/ emet

What do you do when traveling as an emet? I am always cautious w/ washing, etc. when traveling and take Dramamine anyway. But my emet has gotten much worse since I last traveled in March, 2010 and I am not sure what to do. My husband and I are planning a trip to Tennessee in April to see his family and I am very nervous. I'm nervous thinking whether norovirus will still be going around by then and I have the airport, plane, family, multiple houses, restaurants, church, hotel (we are also traveling within the state) and my young niece and nephews (which means at least 1 trip to Chuck E Cheese) as potential germ carriers.

I just want to be able to enjoy myself and not worry about catching something.

I actually talked him out of going to Disney World because I can only imagine the germs there!!

Default Re: Traveling w/ emet

GO TO DISNEY WORLD!!! (Sorry, just "yelling" at you cause thats my favorite place in the entire world lol). They also keep everything immaculate so don't worry too much in case you change your mind.

On a serious note, the best thing to do is to practice good hygeine wash your hands after using the public restrooms, being in the airport especially (If I don't have to go that bad, I'd rather hold it.) Also, its very calming to have an mp3 or Ipod to listen to on the plane. I get so scared on the plane sometimes in fear that somebody will get sick...looking at a barf bag tucked in the seats makes me nervous. However, listening to my music helps me drown out my surroundings so I don't hear anything, etc.

As far as when I'm away, I bring antacids, aspirin, gas med, diarrhea med, just for safe measures in case I need something. Granted they have pharmacies and walmarts everywhere, I just like to have my own for some reason.

Hope this has helped you a bit...most importantly, don't let our emet spoil your trip. Have a wonderful time!!!

Go and enjoy yourself! Like Erica says, just practice good hand hygiene and maybe take an anti-viral hand-sanitiser with you if it'll make you feel better. I've been travelling around for months on end in Thailand, Burma, Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, Europe, America, Canada. Just be sensible about where you eat (which as an emet you probably will be anyway) and go about your daily business as you usually would. You'll have a great time!

Yes, forgot about the sanitizer thing...I ALWAYS pack some of that with me too

lol He still keeps busting my beans about Disney. He's been twice - I've never been. I don't know... I'm still weighing the options here so we'll see. I'm not an amusement park ride person (for obvious reasons) but I do want to get there at some point.

As my emet is definitely worse this year than ever before, I will need a carry on just for my bottles of Emetrol, boxes of Nauzene and sanitizer.

I do know what you mean though about the b**f bags... I've flown about 6 times and have never had to or witness anyone else use one, but they freak me out and I have to shove it way down in the pouch so I can't see it.

My goodness... I can only imagine the germs in an airplane restroom!!

I travel for a living (flight attendant) and usually to countries no one really wants to ever go to. I have been on planes and in airports for up to 38 hours straight. I don't always wash my hands before I eat and I don't always use hand sanitizer. I touch my face constantly during flights and eat local food from roadside stands. I don't take vitamins or probiotics and I'm stuck eating crappy airline food for days on end. I've been through horrible turbulence and had bumpy flights. I've been doing this for years and years and I have NEVER vomited. I have had stomach issues but I can count on one hand how many times that has happened (except for alcohol related...oops).

People DO get sick on planes but it IS rare. Sometimes its alcohol related and sometimes not. But please know it doesn't happen all the time.

My point is I've realized over the years that just the anxiety and the worry about what could happen is way worse than anything else. And the times I did worry nothing ever really happened. I do prepare myself anyways....like other posters mentioned I carry sanitizer and Pepto and Nauzene and Immodium and Bonine. Don't use those very often but I do have them on hand.

Go have an amazing time and try not to let emet ruin your trip!

Definiately get to Disney

Yeah, the first time I went on a plane for some reason, I took the b**f bag with me, just I dunno to spite myself?? To save it as a momento? It was weird. I didn't keep it though. lol

*knock on wood* I've never seen anybody get sick on an airplane either...

I am DYING to travel....its my dream to go to Cairo one day but being emet stops me dead in my tracks because I am afraid of flying. There are alot of emets who can handle that but I dont think so. I FLIPPED when I went to florida when it was just a 4 hour flight. Luckily I discovered dramamine which made me very sleepy so next time I can try that. Good luck!