Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Does anyone take iron pills?

So the past 2 and I half days I have been dizzy. I looked it up and I have several of the symptoms of someone with an iron deficiency. So my mom gave me iron pills to take but of course me being the freak that I am, I looked up the side affects first. And turns out some of the common side affects are n* and v*!!!!! Now I'm freaking out and I am refusing to take them. I was just wondering if anyone has ever taken iron pills and if they had any of these side affects?
    Thanks

Default Re: Does anyone take iron pills?

I take multi-vites with 100% DV iron, especially when I'm preparing to give blood. Take them with food, I won't lie - they can give you stomach pains - but I've never had real n* or v* from taking them. They can also be constipating, and will probably darken your stools, which is just something to be aware of so you don't freak. But they're very good for you, and especially if you are vegetarian or a menstruating woman, it is very easy to be low on iron! You can take them every other day, even, which I've found is easier on the tummy.

Also - if you've been acutely dizzy for two and a half days, I'd really recommend seeing your MD before you do anything else, to rule out anything serious. It probably is just dehydration or something, but a doctor ought to listen to your heart and lungs, make sure your blood pressure isn't too low, etc. Seriously. Hoping you feel better soon.

I take them, I just started off taking 1/4 pill twice a day for a few days. Then I upped it to a half pill and so on. Didn't bother me at all doing it that way. Just be sure not to take it with anything dairy. Calcium inhibits the absorbtion.

I used to take them but they just gave me constipation so I stopped taking them

I took ferrous sulphate for 3 months because I had iron deficiency anaemia. Apart from turning my poo black, I had no side effects. And I have Crohn's so you'd think if anyone was going to get side effects, a Crohnie would! I just made sure I took my pills with food. I know dairy inhibits absorption, but I tried to cancel that out by drinking juice with my pills (vit c increases absorption).

But please go to your doctor and get checked out, as it could be something else causing your dizziness!

I don't mean to sound blunt here, but if you read all the possible side effects with most medication you will find nausea/vomiting are nearly always in the possible side effects.

Having an iron deficiency (anaemia) can actually make you feel nauseous. The only side effect I have experienced with iron is constipation. If you're going to take them, start in a small dose and build it up slowly.

Thanks everyone! I'll start small and go bigger. And I did go to the doctor on the first day it started, she said I was at the end of a cold and I was draining a bunch of fluids and that I probably would stay dizzy for the next few days as I'm draining everything, but it's just driving me nuts so I was looking up tips on how to hinder the dizziness.

I take them everyday with a glass of 100% vitamin c cranberry juice. Drink something with vitamin c for better absorption and eat before taking iron to avoid upset stomach.
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.

You say dizziness, is it constant or is it when stood up? Dizziness can be caused through a number of reasons e.g. Low blood pressure, vertigo, low blood sugar. I'm not sure where you are from but you can get Feroglobin, it is a liquid iron medicine and it is easy on your stomach, you can purchase this from most pharmacies. Also if you can try to drink some lucozade or any other isontonic drink that should help to hydrate you.