Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down noro vaccine video!

has anybody seen this video on the noro vaccine? it's not too graphic but it does mention V & D so be aware. i hope it's not true that noro can live on surfaces for a month? he also states a person can shed the virus for a month? after seeing the video im not sure this vaccine will be worth it afterall, it doesn't seem like it will really prevent it, only make it a slight to mild case when your ill. id like some thoughts on this.

Default Re: noro vaccine video!

well at least they are trying to do something about it, a few years ago they just said that the virus is evolving to fast to make a cure.

A month? Marvelous. It seems every time I visit this forum, there is worse news than the last time I checked.
    Last edited by TigerLili; 02-11-2012 at 11:47 AM.

this was interesting. Thank you!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I'll still get it when it's available. Woo hoo!
    ☮ ♥ emma

Super interesting! My thoughts:
    You're right, he says they're trying to decrease the severity so that there will be fewer/no hospitalizations, not prevent it. But I have a more positive take on it - I think it sounds like a good thing; I mean, they had 60% of the people who got a placebo vaccine that got sick versus 30% of the people who got the vaccine that got sick. I think that's awesome. They are trying to get 90% coverage for the vaccine, meaning only 10% would get bad symptoms. And if you get it, it's maybe just nausea w/ some mild d.
    Also:
    On surfaces for a MONTH!!!! omg!!
    Some people actually do have innate long term immunity!!
    Who the f*** would voluntarily subject themselves to this virus in one of those studies!? Could you imagine working in this company's lab where that virus is there 24/7???? (horrifying jobs: harvesting the virus) They have enough virus in storage to infect 10,000 people!!!
    OMG, he said people can shed virus for a month!!!!!!!!!!! But that graph showed that the people who do shed the virus for that long were the ones who had it bad.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

also to add to that, they said that people react differently to it, or how severe they react to it. so if everyone was vaccinated, which that vaccine decreases symptoms, on those who don't have it too severe might not even get it! so its definitely positive!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

You can't expect someone trying to sell someone to present a best case scenario. He's going to take the worst examples and scariest possible scenarios to make sure people want to fund/buy the vaccine. There's a huge amount of that in biotech. Don't take it at face value.

all i know is being able to catch it for up to a month doesn't sit well with me at all. unless this vaccine provides immunity from getting it i will not partake but i may have my kids get it.

We need to be realistic about the vaccine, in that since the virus mutates so much, it's going to be like the flu vaccine with hopes that they make it for the strain that's circulating. I really don't think there's any erraticating this bug.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

They have an algorithm for figuring out the flu strain that's incredibly effective. I can only find one reference to them completely missing it in 20 years. We're never going to eradicate it like polio or something, but a vaccine would greatly lower the chances of catching it and hopefully put a damper on how quickly it spreads.

That was a great video! I've read a lot about this vaccine, but nice to hear someone from the company actually explain it. I don't know I think it sounds positive. If I knew I could take this vaccine and if I do in fact come in contact with the virus...I don't think I would freak out knowing my symptoms would be greatly reduced. That is the scary thing of noro the great intensity of sickness that it could get.
    I think it would give me much more a peace of mind!

Agreed. I don't think it will be a magic solution, as in I don't think it will eradicate my phobia. I'll always be wondering about the what ifs. But I'm making good progress in therapy and I'm hoping the vaccine will be the final push to cured.