Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy My family doesn't get it!

My family really doesn't understand what it's like. I was going through my fridge today and got out a tub of margarine. Checked the expiration date before opening it and it had expired and tossed it on the bench. My dad saw me do it and when i told him why he called me crazy and "not normal". I didn't open the margarine or use it or eat it or anything but a part of me is still terrified i'll get sick even after washing my hands four or five times. I won't get sick will i? Maybe it's not the most rational thought but it sure as hell doesn't help when your family thinks your nuts.
    Does anyone else have problems with their families or friends? What do you do about it?
    Last edited by amy_n; 02-13-2012 at 04:38 AM.

Default Re: My family doesn't get it!

Oh totally. My husband is wonderful, he doesn't 'get it' but he tries. And because I am also suffering from agoraphobia as well, he really helps A LOT. My brothers, well they are awful. They don't get it and don't even try. They mock me constantly. My mom is emet as well, but not to the extent that I am, and my dad literally has no idea lol.
    I have given up trying to explain to my brothers how this all works. I just tell them to shut it or ignore them now. Considering they are in my house when they act like asses, it's easy just to tell them to leave if they don't like it.
    But really, it's difficult for someone who doesn't have our issues to get it, as much as they will try (or not). So they best thing to do is try to ignore the ignorant comments and just be as u are. Eventually they will just take ur 'quirks' as something that you do.
    Last edited by Denglish81; 02-13-2012 at 04:39 AM.

I can totally relate to this, though I can understand how frustrating it is for both parties.

The whole you throwing the margarine tub away and how your dad reacted reminds me of myself when I lived at home. I would quite often raid the fridge and come across items out of date/on the date of expire and chuck them away. My mum would go mad at me every time. I remember once snacking on some sliced ham, my mum came into the kitchen and said "you do realise that is out of date". I instantly panicked and this wave of fear came over me. My mum must of seen my face and started laughing, it really wasn't out of date she just thought it would be funny. Of course at the time iit wasn't the slightest bit amusing but looking back on it I do find it funny.

Thats the thing I can see how irrational I am being and the rational part of mind is saying "stop being resiculous" but I just can't help myself.

I have tried until I'm blue in the face explaining to my family of Emetophobia and how it impacts on my life. They still don't get it even though they try. To be honest I dont think that until your in that situation yourself then you will never truly understand. For example I can't quite understand how anyone can be phobic of glitter (I know someone who has this fear and when they come into contact with glitter they are completely debilitated) but who am I to pass judgement?

I'm really upset right now, because I was at my bible study, and I was washing my hands for the 5th time, and everyone was giving me strange looks. Later, we were telling the happy and bad parts of our day, and my happy was that my bracelet-making was going well. They asked me what it was for, and I said "an emetophobia support group". I of course, had to briefly explain what it was. And then everyone was like "oh, I have that too! I hate throwing up!" I wanted to cry. I seriously love everyone in that group so much, and I've known them forever, but that really upset me. I feel like I shouldn't be upset from that, but I really am. I just feel so alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.