Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Super bad panic attack!

I haven't posted for a while but felt I needed some support. I had a really bad panic attack yesterday and tried to get on the site but it was offline for a while.

Anyway, I have emetophobia(not sure why) and my main symptom of a panic attack is severe nausea. I've been getting panic attacks more lately. Yesterday I had to pick my nieces up from school and take them to play practice. I tried to eat an early lunch, as eating and leaving the house makes me feel nauseated and panicky, so I wait til my food digests. Just remembering the taste of the food or smell or burping can cause panic(my brain thinking I'm going to throw up-totally stupid but uncontollable at this point). Anyway, I took some meds as I usually do before heading out and I started to get ready to go. I was already experiencing some anxiety. I had other physical sensations too that were totally normal and I wouldn't think anything of them if I wasn't leaving the house. But because I was leaving the comfort of my home, my brain started thinking of what bad could happen-throwing up.

So as I pulled away from my house I immediately started to panic and had a severe panic attack(severe nausea) the whole way there and the whole way back. The whole errand took about 20 minutes. I had to pull over a couple times because the feelings got so intense. I don't know how you can experience such severe nausea without throwing up, but I never do. Why can't I believe myself when I try to tell myself that? I got to the school and was glad I made it but knew that my errand was only half over. I had to finish it and with 2 people in the vehicle which put more pressure on me-didn't want them to know what was going on.

When I'm in the car and having a panic attack I try to think of landmarks, and as I pass them I know I'm getting closer to home. I was trying to do that but the panic and nausea was so intense I could't think straight at all. I finally got them to play practice and was on my way home. I felt good that I accomplished what was asked of me but I felt drained. As soon as I got home I felt safe and the panic and nausea quickly started to fade. I have 2 cleaning jobs that I want to quit because of my panic being so bad right now.

For me, I don't ever see being free from this phobia, therefore I don't know how I will ever be free from panic attacks again. It's making my agoraphobia worse. I just want to stay close to home for a while and not 'have' to go anywhere.

I'm in therapy but it's not working. I just feel like giving up.

Default Re: Super bad panic attack!

Unfortunately I don't have any tips for you, as this is the exact problem I have. Everytime I try to go anywhere I get N* until I am back home. I am basically housebound and it's ruining my life.
    So if anyone has overcome this issue ( mainly just the panic manifesting itself as N* ) please let us know!
    Im hoping to talk to my Dr about some meds and prescript anti-emetic. As I only use ginger and gravol now, and that doesn't cut it for the panic N*. Has anyone had experience with various others that help with it?

Thanks for your response and support. I'm glad(well, not glad) there's more people out there who understand. I currently take xanax for panic attacks and I also take and anti-nausea medication. But, sometimes the panic is so strong that the amount of medication I take does't help. I have to get back home to my "safe place".

I'm also sensitive to smells-can get nauseated from them if they're strong. I've gotten better from this before. Maybe it was a healthy distraction-turning my focus onto something-a project. Maybe that's what I need to do. Well, the weather will be getting nicer soon-a few weeks I hope- and I plan to spend a lot of time walking and going to the parks near my house. Nature and exercise!! We'll see how that does.

Poor dear(( I remember how it is. Do you remember the time when your panic attacks were not that bad? maybe you know what has made them worse?
    Don't give up on therapy, it takes time to feel better..
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, I have been pondering over this quite a bit, about what it was that made me start to feel better and what has happened that might be making me feel worse. I remember when I was hit with anxiety pretty bad-I felt nauseated all the time, felt like I had the flu. I was dealing with some stress, got rid of that stressor and I got put on xanax for the first time. Well, the globus sensation stopped, I felt normal again, could eat again, could go to the store again!!! I think repeated times of successes and feeling ok changed the chemical patterns in my brain. At that time I had quit working and put my full focus on my anxiety. I got tons of books and learned a lot about what was wrong with me which I think really helped. I also was able to spend more time on projects-like scrapbooks and I got into a cool project of researching all kinds of romantic things to do with your significant other. I'd spend hours online compiling creative ideas and feeling good that I was putting forth such effort to improve my relationship.
    This time, I think I might have taken on something that turned out to be too much-have cut back on that though. I've read in a book that sometimes psychological conflict can cause panic attacks. I'm wondering if that's what's going on-psychological conflict. I've been wanting to quit my jobs for a while and just step back and focus on my health and my home and my husband. Maybe that's what's going on, I can't come up with a decision, therefore I keep doing something I don't want to do. Hmmm, really need to think this one out. I don't want to make any rash decisions right now though.

I won't give up on therapy but I think I need to move it in a different direction, it's going nowhere.