Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Sleep "attacks"

Exclamation Sleep "attacks"

Does this happen to anyone else... I'll be laying in bed, totally fine and drifting off into sleep when I wake ubruptly with panic for a few seconds, I continue to drift back to sleep but the same type of thought comes up and it happens again, I try to change my thoughts, I change positions but nothing works. Then I start worrying I'm sick when I know I'm not and I get that awful tingly feeling from my feet to my head.
    I hate it! I'm so tired but for some reason I kept waking up abruptly RIGHT before I fell asleep, I was pseudo dreaming about American idol, and for some reason that thought kept triggering the anxiety.
    Now I'm up on the couch feeling like I lost the battle yet again.
    Pits so hard because I work with people, I have to touch them and do many people are complaining about the sv. want winter to end.

Default Re: Sleep "attacks"

I'm sorry to hear that I get similar problems. I not only have emet problem but I also have this extreme irrational fear of zombies. So sometimes when I start to fall asleep I hear a noise that creeps me out or I somehow feel terrified like I'm the only person alive and I get extra anxiety. I also often wake from sleep completely n* bad and it's hard to stay awake I start to panic fearing I will v* in my sleep. I'm a total mental mess. I hate going to sleep at night. So I try to keep the tv remote by me and when I have trouble I channel surf or try to play a game on my phone until I feel a little more at ease. Anxiety is the devil. Good luck! Hope you have a better night.

Sleeping is mt nemesis too! That happens to me all the time but have recently started a new medication which makes me sleep (typically, I now have anxiety about NOT being able to wake up! Irrational huh?!)

I know how you feel sometimes...the worse thing even for me is trying to fall asleep when I have a twinging of an upset stomach (i.e. general indigestion) and forget it...I'll wake up out of a sleep in a panic and even have the chills...its so weird.

I hate that too when you get that random thought just stuck in your head and it won't go away. That also triggers me sometimes too...maybe a good suggestion for you is for you to fall asleep to the TV on or something or drink a hot tea before bed hoping it would relax you??

Good luck.

I experience sort of the same thing. It's kind of hard to explain, but just as I'm on the brink of sleep, I startle awake in a panic. It happens every time I fall into sleep. It's really annoying. It happened the other night and I got three hours of sleep before class

This happens to me if I ever attempt to sleep in the car, as soon as I start to fall asleep, WHAM! Usually at home, in my own bed, I'm fine.
    Life is a wonderful ride.