Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Probiotics

Default Probiotics

Today I decided to buy myself some probiotics from a health food shop. Ive read about so many of you on here who take them and it made me want to see what all the fuss is about

They are called Probiotic Acidophilus with pectin and includes lactobacillus. Can I expect to suffer any side effects with them when I first take them. Im on a high dose of antibiotics at the moment (3000mg daily) for h pylori infection and so I want to start taking them as soon as Ive finished the course but I'll be at work every day for 5 days straight and dont want to feel anymore icky than I do usually. Any opinions whether good or bad please.

Default Re: Probiotics

I have never heard of them BUT do not take the probiotic within 2 hours before or after the antibiotic, and while you are on the antibiotic try to up your probiotic amount! Feel better!

Theyre from Holland & Barrett which I think is just a UK based health shop. They certainly werent cheap so Im hoping theyll do me some good at least. Im not going to take them until Ive finished my antibiotics so any side effects I may get I can pinpoint to a particular drug. Will I feel slightly off for the first few days?

I think, by the sound of it, you're talking about the same ones as I had. I did have d* once on the first day of taking them but that could have been down to anything really so please don't be put off! That day I took them on an empty stomach as well so now I always take them after dinner just to be on the safe side. No other problems with them at all. I have just changed to a different brand because I couldn't get in to Holland and Barrett and I dropped mine and they smashed (was gutted! They're blooming expensive!). Do feel like they help my stomach (even if it's just in my head anything that helps is good!)

I would start taking them WHILE you are taking your antibiotics. Any stomach discomfort you are having now or will have in the first days of taking the antibiotics can be combatted by taking the probiotics. I've been taking them from years and never once had a single side effect. My dad tried them and they just made him gassy for the first few days, but then he was fine.