Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My phobia was pretty much ignited when I had what I think was the stomach flu. Dry heeves are the worst and those are partially what scares me about being sick like that.

Anyway, I've never been able to test this idea...thank god...but I know it probably works. So Iwas thinking, when we have dry heeves, we shouldn't just sit there, we need to get a large jug of water or whatever we're comfortable with and chug it down while we're having these heeves. Its obviously known that it feels much better to have something come out than to retch constantly. So that's what I'm going to try to do next time. So chug and chug and it probably wont be toooo bad.

Just an idea.
    If you\'re from Colorado then tell me!!

i recently had a stomac virus i dryvomited once and dry heaved twice even when i vomited it was mostly dry heaving and i think you are correct

Yuck! Yuck! Yuck!

But good luck and let us know!!

Liquid Benadryl is GREAT for dry heeves!

I absolutly agree with you! Last time I was sick, I drank soooo
    much water. I couldn't help it, I was dehydrated. But I
    think that worked to my advantage! It is much better to have
    something in your stomach. Carrie

I am just wondering how you can chug when all your body is doing is heeving?

When I had the flu 10 years ago, I remember it coming up and I drank the water so fast and kept on doing this when it was coming up. I didn't vomit

its wierd becuase when i got ill alst xmas i dry heaved so many times in the garden. it felt awful - just like being sick - but NOTHING!! i felt liked id been robbed - having gone thro the motions and nothing to show!

but the wierdest thing - and perhaps u can tell me if it is the same for you -is that after the dry heaves - i felt SO much better - even tho they had produced zilch....

any ideas?

Ems x

You know what ems, when I had the dry heaves I did feel better. It was like gross and it hurt my stomach gagging like that but sometimes in the back of my mind I wonder if I did vomit how much better would I feel?? I don't want to go there but when I hear people say I felt so much better or they put the finger down the throat to speed up the process and saying I felt so much better.. that puts me in a tail spin.

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of the gut being a brain like the one in our head? I have read thatthe two are connceted, and that is why whena personsometimes has a terrible migraine and they v*, the headache goes away. This is also similar when we have a sv and the head is dizzy and light. My theory is that when I am nauseated and just gag or heeve without having anything come up and I feel better is that there is a response in the brain that tells the stomach everything is fine.

The thing that I think about that is that wouldn't it just provide more
    substance for your body to v* up? Because I know when I had the flu in
    December and dry heaved and drank water out of a lil dixie bathroom
    cup, lol, it just made me v* more and faster...but it did thin it
    out...but maybe that's just me. Thanks for the idea, though!