Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: So scared...

I've lurked on this site before but never posted. My emet has always been manageable(for the last 10 years or so) but lately it is getting worse and worse. When I was younger I always swore I would never have kids cause I didn't want to chance it with how many bugs kids pick up! Well of course now I have 2 and one on the way...

So, we leave on Tuesday to go home for the first time in 7 months for my stepsister's wedding(in which my kid's are a big part of). I am SO worried that we will get sick before we leaveor while we are gone. I hate being sick but even worse hate it when it's away from home and I will be by myself(no husband with me). To make matters worse my 3.5 yo came home from preschool today and told me one of her good friends threw up while at preschool. I am taking her out of school until we leave(just 2 days) because I don't want to risk it.

We will also being staying with my dad, the last time I was there about a year ago exactly I got VERY sick with a bug and the thought of even going back there scares me.

I HATE living like this...I am so jumpy, every cough, wheeze, or moan from my kids sends me into a panic. This consumes my thoughts lately and it's really interferring with my life, I'm becoming a hermit and a germaphobe. Worst is it is rubbing off on my kids...my DD does really well when she is sick but she knows I don't like it. My husband could care less when he gets sick and really doesn't understand.

Thanks for listening, any tips on how to calm down?

I want to look into hypnotism also, I have trichotillomania too and I am going to do hypno for that so I though maybe it would work for this too...any thoughts?

Thanks,

Whitney

Summer 7/5/01

Jace 6/29/03

Cade edd 8/14/05

Welcome to the site Whitney!! I know what you mean when your phobia can be managable, I was like that than bang back to square 1. I don't blame you for taking your child out of school I would have done the same thing. Don't think of the what if's, it just makes you more anxious. Try to turn your thinking around, like this time we will have a good time, the wedding, seeing family and friends and don't think about the last time you were there that you became ill. Deep breaths, drink some water or tea what ever helps you. Are you on medication for this? There are anti-nausea pills the herbal anti-nausea rescue remedy. How long are you going for? Is it a long ride to where you are going?

I know exactly how you feel!!! I go through those same emotions whenever we have a special event (mainly because my girls get sick EVERY holiday & birthday!!) And back in January we had a major outbreak of norovirus, I kept my daughter out of preschool for a few days, just in case!!

Just TRY to relax and have fun, I know it's hard with the little ones, plus being pregnant just aggravates everything!!! (I know, I'm due with my 3rd--1st boy, though, yay--on June 13, and it made all of my kids illnesses this winter seem like the absolute end of the world!!!

And welcome to the site, don't be a stranger, let us know how you are doing with your baby!!!