Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Completely stressed and freaked out

Okay, so I'm in high school and for the past month and a half, the sv* has been spreading like wildfire. Everyone in my boyfriend's family but him, his mom, and one of his sisters got it, so I'm not worried about them. But in school, whenever I hear that someone else in my class has it, I freak out. I carry around hand sanitizer in my bag and use it at the beginning of every class. How effective is it? I touch my face a ton during the day because I'm always resting my head on one of my hands, and I'm starting to get scared I'll get it. I wash them as frequently as possible but I can't go to the bathroom during every class. Plus, I have awful anxiety to begin with, so I'm always picking skin off my lip, which I'm scared about in fear of getting the sv*. My best friend's dad just got it, so now I'm freaking out more than ever. I couldn't even focus in math class because my teacher was out with it yesterday, so I was nearly in tears. I'm afraid of getting it, seeing it, hearing it. I just can't do it, and I'm so stressed out and I don't know what to do.

I take Vitamin C tablets every day to help build up my immune system, I hand sanitize all the time, and I wash my hands as often as I can. Is there anything more I can do? I'm so scared of getting sick and I'm going to go crazy if one more person I know gets it.

Default Re: Completely stressed and freaked out

I am famous for biting my skin off my lip, holding my head up with my hands, but I have been fine!! Keep washing your hands. As long as you are washing them before you eat or after you use the bathroom, you should be fine. The sad part for us emets, hand sanitizer (typical ones like Purcel and GermX) will not kill the virus. Some people say that it will lessen the germs, but does not take care of it. That is why washing your hands is your big defense! Remember, you can only get it if you "swallow" the germ. The only way to get it is if someone v* right next to you and the small droplets (tiny) get into your mouth (gross, right?) and if someone who has it and doesn't wash their hands after using the bathroom and you touch it and then put your fingers in your mouth. My mother is a teacher at an elementary school and she has not gotten it. Her rule : "Keep your fingers out of your mouth, nose, and eyes and you will be fine" Good luck!!!